Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Rarity very wealthy?

HailGlimmer

Is Rarity very wealthy? Because shes a fashion designer and her house looks so nice and bigger than the other mane 6 houses. Also, do you think the other mane 6 are jealous of her being rich?

Is Rarity very wealthy? Because shes a fashion designer and her house looks so nice and bigger than the other mane 6 houses. Also, do you think the other mane 6 are jealous of her being rich?

No, not really. She probably had to work very hard to be able to get it all. She just had a goal and she achieved it. Actually, she's still achieving it. It's obvious that she wants more, she deserves more. And no, I don't think that her friends are jealous. They know how hard she works, besides, as you said, they're her friends. A true friend feels happy for another friend. 

• Brohoof 7

I don't think she's rich rich, but I think she probably has the most money out of the mane 6. And I don't think that they'd be jealous- they're her friends. And she's so generous that if they needed something she'd probably give them some money.

• Brohoof 1

She is probably not wealthy at all. She doesn't come from money. She is an entrepreneur and small business owner. She has to search for jewels personally and she can't even afford an assistant that we know of. She has to have Spike work for her for free (while faking affection of course). Maybe Pinkie Pie is jealous because she doesn't own her own house but the others probably don't.

(edited)

I don't think they are jealous of Rarity's wealth. Each of them work very hard to get what they desire, and to accomplish their goals of course.

As for her wealth in general, before Season 4 she had a substantial amount of wealth until royalty happened. She did start out in the working class due to her parents' ability to work hard and provide for her along with her sister, though she wants to be rich.

Edited by Scootalove

(edited)

Off topic...but I think she is self-absorbed in her work. She shows very little genuine thanks for poor Spike.

Yeah... she doesn't seem to care about him at all.

sarcasm

Edited by Frostgage
  • Brohoof 4

Off topic...but I think she is self-absorbed in her work. She shows very little genuine thanks for poor Spike.

Well, if it is off-topic, why did you mention it in the first place?... :muffins:

And she shows genuine affection and gratitude for Spike...

She paid him in Dog and a Pony show, she made him a Jewel bow-tie, Dragonquest happened, Secret of my excess happened, Inspiration Manifestation happened, she gave him a very valuable jewel in that Spike and all the pets episode, she was very nice to him in simple ways.

• Brohoof 5

Yeah... she doesn't seem to care about him at all.

I did not claim that. What I meant is that Rarity does not seem to care about anything around her when she is actively working, including Spike. Exception is when she is actually making an order for her friends. Her dress making is simply more important. "Rarity takes Manehattan" and even "Green Isn't Your Color" are examples of this.

Not really. Pre-S4, she was probably the wealthiest of the mane 6, but then royalty happened :D

She doesn't come from money whatsoever - we all saw her blue-collar parents in "Sisterhooves Social." They're the working class type, and she was raised in a working class environment. She probably didn't like that lifestyle and sought out something better - like the glitzy and glamorous life of the Canterlot elite. So while she dreams of being wealthy one day, being very wealthy is her goal, and one she could easily be able to achieve, because of her special talent being gem-finding. Which leads me to my next point.

She also displays a passion for her craft, which is fashion design. If she were all about money, she'd just use her special talent to get rich, because gems can fetch for a pretty penny. She aspires to be wealthy (likely because of her disdain for her blue-collar upbringing), but that takes a backseat to things like her career and her friends, which could also be a by-product of her upbringing :D

• Brohoof 7

(edited)

She shows very little genuine thanks for poor Spike.

I did not claim that. 

Hard to see it any other way, to be honest :\ Especially when Obsidian showed a list of all the things she's done for him out of her gratitude.

When the positives outweigh the negatives, always look at the positives :D The world will be a much better place when people stop focusing on small things, especially when those small things are at the short end of the spectrum.

I think it should be shown off more often. That is why I don't have much of an impression of Rarity being gracious towards Spike.

I'm reminded of this scene, for some reason. 

Or what happened before it, when she was in serious danger and wouldn't give up her fire ruby because he was the one who gave it to her :D

Edited by A ghostie Makusu2
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

I did not claim that. What I meant is that Rarity does not seem to care about anything around her when she is actively working, including Spike. Exception is when she is actually making an order for her friends. Her dress making is simply more important. "Rarity takes Manehattan" and even "Green Isn't Your Color" are examples of this.

Well, you did claim exactly that... You said she fakes affection for him, which means that she has no feelings for him and is just faking it to get him work for her... :muffins:

Edited by Obsidian Sky
  • Brohoof 2

Well, back on topic.

I'd imagine she's not Upper class, but not exactly middle class as well. I mean, she has some celebrity clients, and she seems to be well known by a lot of fashion designers and the like. So I'm sure she makes some pretty good money.

• Brohoof 4

Well, I think if you count the jewels, then basically, yes she's rich, but she only carries around a few for genorosity's sake, like in "rarity takes Manehattan" which implies she has so many of those things that, maybe, she can't use ALL of them in her dresses. So I think, yes, yes she is kinda wealthy

I think she's the richest of the mane 6, (Twilight being 2nd.)

She has a lot of famous clients, I guess she earns a lot of money thanks to her job.

i wouldn't say she is wealthy but i'd she is well off enough to support herself, given that she can afford to give out free dress comissions to her friends.

I think she's middle-high class economically speaking. Then, we also got Dashie (JUST LOOK AT HER HOME :o ). And Twilight Sparkle, who might be economically independent, but she comes from a Canterlot family (not to mention she's now a princess and she has her own castle  -_- )

I always got the feeling that she was pretty wealthy.

Just look at some of her clients. Sapphire Shores is a big time pop musician, Hoity Toity is a big time fasion dude. She got Fancy Pants to basically endorse her infront of a bunch of high profile ponies. There are others that I can't remember off the top of my head. Point is, it seems like her business is doing great. It's probably doing even better now that she her designs are being worn by her friend Twilight, who is now a princess.

I don't think money is why she does fasion, but it's been kind to her.

Probably not. Just judging by her parents and their traits:

rarity_s_family_by_hampshireukbrony-d6gb

Rarity at best comes from a middle class background, maybe upper middle class if that. Rarity may at times seem wealthy, but that's more because she fashions herself to be more like a wealthy upper class individual, a product of her aspiration to emulate nobility. 

If nothing else, Rarity's aspirations suggest that she isn't from a wealthy background. She aspires to work in places like Canterlot and Manehattan, which since it emulates New York, can be assumed to be quite an expensive place to live when we consider the career she seeks there. She dreams of marrying a prince and living in royalty, something that's a common motif in fairy tales a peasant girl marrying a prince. 

Finally Rarity's own personal wealth is a result of her own skill and can be considered quite modest. Remember that Rarity was born into a setting of other common ponies and she sought to make herself stand out from that. Rarity wouldn't really be a rarity if she were a rich noble amongst nobles. No what makes Rarity a rarity is that she stands out from the otherwise ordinary crowd she lives among.

• Brohoof 2

Of course she's wealthy!

For starters, she's had a great deal of clientele that were celebrities, politicians, and others of notable wealth.  Folks like that pay top dollar to look "good."  They're the types that (if humans in America) would've paid $300 for a pair of jeans that look no different than a $15 pair, simply because it was made by a special designer.  As such, Rarity fits that bill, and therefore makes a pretty bit.

To top it off, she's loaded with jewels and gems that she finds on her own and/or pays for.  Remember in the Sisterhooves Social episode, there were those extremely rare types of sapphires that SweetieBelle used like macaroni noodles?  (Now I think about it, I think Rarity said that they were Baby Blue sapphires...).  She would've had to have a lot of cash in order to have purchased the first batch, let alone a second.  The price tag on whatever she was making was probably ridiculously high, too, which means that Rarity was going to be earning a butt-load of cash for her work.

How many gems did she hand out as "Thank you" gifts in Manehatten?  I don't know, but it's more than I would've handed out!  Especially just to be generous in an ungrateful town!  That's for sure!  Even the cheap knock-off versions of many of those (excluding glass, but I doubt Rarity would've done that) would be worth quite a bit, especially at the sizes of those things.  Some of them were larger than apples!

I think it's safe to say that Rarity is one of the wealthiest ponies in Ponyville, possibly THE wealthiest.  I also believe that she isn't AS MUCH of a lavishing diva as some claim she is.  While she will occasionally buy something (at least looks like it was) expensive, she strikes me as being more frugal than that, preferring to hold on to her funds.  This would be quite the intelligent thing to do, especially if Rarity has had enough business training and experience (which would also make sense, considering some of the ponies she's worked for).

• Brohoof 2

her house looks so nice and bigger than the other mane 6 houses

I have to disagree with that, Rainbow Dash has a mansion.

OT: No, I don't think Rarity is wealthy. But more along the lines of being financially stable.