Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The future of Sonic the Hedgehog

Discordian

This is great news for me as a massive Sonic fan. I've always felt Sonic was best in a context-based adventure rather than colorful and cartoony for the sake of being colorful and cartoony. Sonic's always been best when it was more serious.

Though Sonic Boom still looks absolutely amazing and I can't wait to see where that adventure goes as well. Looks really great.

Thoughts on the potential direction of Sonic?
  • Brohoof 1

my opinion:

I like the first 3 sonics, after that........THEY ALL STARTED TO SUCK!!! EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!!!!

As good as the first 3 are, I don't think sonic has a very good future ahead.

my opinion:

I like the first 3 sonics, after that........THEY ALL STARTED TO SUCK!!! EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!!!!

As good as the first 3 are, I don't think sonic has a very good future ahead.

I think we have completely opposing opinions on this. I wouldn't even call most of the early Sonic games good compared to the other games. A good start to the series and little else.

Man I love Sonic. I've liked all the cartoons and games. Whether he's goofy or serious he's still amazing, the franchise of Sonic is of the few that I've been attached to since I was young. I'm looking forward to Sonic Boom, both the game and show. although Knuckles has a hideous design.

Well, at least they have a direction to aim for now. For a long time they just didn't seem to know what they wanted to do with the franchise, so they just started throwing everything and the kitchen sink in there.

While I still prefer the classics above all else, I do like some of the more recent titles. The adventure games were pretty fun. (Because of the chaos mostly, that needs to return in some form, perhaps as it's own game?) The first two Riders were really good and I still don't know why people hate them. I thought colors and Generations were great.

I don't know if I'll ever like anything as much as the classics, but I'm willing to give any new games a shot.

So now theirs going to be 2 Sonics???  :huh:

So now theirs going to be a 'American' Sonic and a 'Modern' Sonic??? 

..ill never understand Sega..owell,hope the games do well regardless.

Tho i must admit i do not like the character designs in Sonic Boom...  :fiery:

So now theirs going to be 2 Sonics???  :huh:

So now theirs going to be a 'American' Sonic and a 'Modern' Sonic??? 

..ill never understand Sega..owell,hope the games do well regardless.

Tho i must admit i do not like the character designs in Sonic Boom...  :fiery:

I don't see any reason why that should be a bad thing though. Gives us more options as to what games to get. They'll all probably still be the same canon though, just developed by different people.

I don't see any reason why that should be a bad thing though. Gives us more options as to what games to get. They'll all probably still be the same canon though, just developed by different people.

Im just confused as to why they need to cater to a new audience specifically,imean doesn't 'modern sonic' appeal to the younger audience already??? :huh:  

Im just confused as to why they need to cater to a new audience specifically,imean doesn't 'modern sonic' appeal to the younger audience already??? :huh:

I guess they just wanna try to separate from the things the series built it's foundations on because too many people whine and bitch about every game ever not being exactly like the Genesis games. I like the games that are least like the Genesis games most myself so Sonic Boom will definitely appeal to me.

I guess they just wanna try to separate from the things the series built it's foundations on because too many people whine and bitch about every game ever not being exactly like the Genesis games. I like the games that are least like the Genesis games most myself so Sonic Boom will definitely appeal to me.

This sounds ok on paper,but this is Sega we are talking about here... 

I understand the fanbase either wanting a genesis clone or a true Sonic Adventure 3 but i fear that this is just going to stretch the series(and Sega) too thin.  :(

This sounds ok on paper,but this is Sega we are talking about here... 

I understand the fanbase either wanting a genesis clone or a true Sonic Adventure 3 but i fear that this is just going to stretch the series(and Sega) too thin.  :(

As someone who's enjoyed every Sega game ever made I have complete trust in them. :lol:

I had complete trust in them too..and then they never gave me Sonic Adventure 3  :(

129927161063.gif

Atleast one of us has hope. ^_^

I think people are a little too hung up on the Adventure series. They were good games but they are hardly the only good games in the series.

Sonic 06 was as close to Adventure 3 as we're most likely to ever get. It had all the elements of an Adventure game and the only reason people didn't absolutely love it was the fact that it was unfinished.

I think people are a little too hung up on the Adventure series. They were good games but they are hardly the only good games in the series.

Sonic 06 was as close to Adventure 3 as we're most likely to ever get. It had all the elements of an Adventure game and the only reason people didn't absolutely love it was the fact that it was unfinished.

True but SA1-2 are classics and fans will never forget them(and never stop asking for a SA3 til we get one).  :muffins:

Also,regardless of what Sonic 06' was suppose to represent,it still ended up as a legendary broken mess of a game and is a insult to the adventure series and Sonic games as a whole(right up there with Sonic CD). 

True but SA1-2 are classics and fans will never forget them(and never stop asking for a SA3 til we get one).  :muffins:

Also,regardless of what Sonic 06' was suppose to represent,it still ended up as a legendary broken mess of a game and is a insult to the adventure series and Sonic games as a whole(right up there with Sonic CD).

I honestly believe Sonic 06 would be one of the best games in the franchise had it not been that broken mess. If they had at least finished it I would rank it as one of the top games in the franchise. Ever.

(edited)

I honestly believe Sonic 06 would be one of the best games in the franchise had it not been that broken mess. If they had at least finished it I would rank it as one of the top games in the franchise. Ever.

Oh i agree,but sadly the game was clearly rushed and will only be remember for being so terrible now  :(

(and the lol glitches) 

Edited by Pinkamena-Pills

No doubt that Sonic as a game series is way past its prime. However he is loved by many. I am not a huge Sonic fan, but I respect the IP nonetheless.

You kidding? I'd consider it still very much in the middle of it's prime, they've just lost their footing in some places. But what do I know? I'm just a crazy Sonic fan. :lol:

What?! I love Sonic CD. I would play that over 06 any day. How is it in any shape or form a broken mess? Sure, it's got a few problems, but it's not even close to that bad.

What?! I love Sonic CD. I would play that over 06 any day. How is it in any shape or form a broken mess? Sure, it's got a few problems, but it's not even close to that bad.

As far as Sonic CD,It had its issues(specifically with movement) if i recall.

But in the end I think that most Sonic fans would agree in their opinion that Sonic CD sucks,but yes,it is no where near as bad as Sonic 06'   :derp:

As far as Sonic CD,It had its issues(specifically with movement) if i recall.

But in the end I think that most Sonic fans would agree in their opinion that Sonic CD sucks,but yes,it is no where near as bad as Sonic 06'   :derp:

From what I've seen the fanbase is actually very split on this. A lot of people really like it, some of them even putting it at the very top of their list. Heck, even Screwattack named it the best Sonic game ever.

Meanwhile, a lot of people also really hate it. Saying it's overrated and not that good a game.

I can see where the second group is coming from, but personally, I love it. It's a lot of fun for me. I like the level designs, the aesthetics, and the soundtrack. Specifically the Japanese soundtrack, though Sonic Boom (The song, not the game or show) is awesome too. Plus, it introduced Metal Sonic.

From what I've seen the fanbase is actually very split on this. A lot of people really like it, some of them even putting it at the very top of their list. Heck, even Screwattack named it the best Sonic game ever.

Meanwhile, a lot of people also really hate it. Saying it's overrated and not that good a game.

I can see where the second group is coming from, but personally, I love it. It's a lot of fun for me. I like the level designs, the aesthetics, and the soundtrack. Specifically the Japanese soundtrack, though Sonic Boom (The song, not the game or show) is awesome too. Plus, it introduced Metal Sonic.

Have you heard the Crush40 version of Sonic Boom? So much yes. :D

sonic has been downhill since 06

as for boom im very excited and it looks really amazing

I really really don't agree. Not even counting Sonic 06 the rest of the franchise has just been the same. Chugging along at a steady pace.

• Brohoof 1

sonic has been downhill since 06

as for boom im very excited and it looks really amazing

Sonic has been downhill since Heroes, IMO.

I grew up a Sonic fan, but the series seems to have lost its way with the recent 3D entries. Heroes, while not BAD, is a bit too complex for the goals it wants to achieve, IMO. Then we had Shadow & '06, not too mention the Riders series (which I enjoyed, but they were still not that great). It seems like they began to claw back some ground with Colors & Generations, but Lost World's reception was seemingly mix.

I don't know, and while I have been waiting for Sonic Boom with some anticipation, the addition of ANOTHER new character kinda frustrated me.

• Brohoof 1