Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Official Sonic the Hedgehog Thread

Adorkable

I definitely still want Lost World but I need a Wii-U still so haven't been able to get it. I'll probably get the 3DS version at some point but I don't know if there's any huge differences between the two so I wanna play the console version before anything so I can get the definitive experience.

Just from experience, I've played both the Wii U and the 3DS versions several times. In my opinion, I feel that the 3DS version is a LOT better. No spoilers or anything, but the Wii U version has quite a few unnecessary difficulty jumps, it can easily get frustrating.

But that's from a long time Modern Sonic fan's experience, take it was you will. ^^

I rather liked the mech gameplay. Part of it is that one of my favorite traits of Tails is his mechanical prowess.

Personally I think Sonic and the Black Knight had the best soundtrack in the series, though as far as individual songs go the Sonic Heroes themes I mentioned above are overall better.

I hope to Celestia you're not referring to Tails's Tornado-Mech in Sonic Adventure 2. >.>

It's arguable to what Sonic game has had the best soundtrack. I've always thought perhaps one of the Adventure games, more leaning on Adventure 1 than 2. Mostly due to how much more enjoyable the level music is in 1 than in 2.

Just from experience, I've played both the Wii U and the 3DS versions several times. In my opinion, I feel that the 3DS version is a LOT better. No spoilers or anything, but the Wii U version has quite a few unnecessary difficulty jumps, it can easily get frustrating.

But that's from a long time Modern Sonic fan's experience, take it was you will. ^^

I hope to Celestia you're not referring to Tails's Tornado-Mech in Sonic Adventure 2. >.>

It's arguable to what Sonic game has had the best soundtrack. I've always thought perhaps one of the Adventure games, more leaning on Adventure 1 than 2. Mostly due to how much more enjoyable the level music is in 1 than in 2.

As another long-time Modern Sonic fan I'm more likely to at least consider your opinion on the matter because you don't autohate the game for not being Genesis Sonic 4. :P

And of ocurse I mean the tornado-mech. Only thing it could have improved was using the stick for aiming instead of the system it had but it worked.

• Brohoof 1

And of ocurse I mean the tornado-mech. Only thing it could have improved was using the stick for aiming instead of the system it had but it worked.

I honestly have a few negative feelings towards Tails's mech.

The fact is, Tails just straight up wasn't supposed to be in Sonic Adventure 2.

SO, instead of actually giving him his gameplay style and such from Sonic Adventure 1, they literally C&P'd Dr. Eggman's.

Which really bugs me. It's a reason I don't like COD, because games shouldn't C&P. It's just annoying.

Especially since having Tails play as he did in Sonic Adventure 1 would have made me enjoy the game a lot better.

I totally agree that games shouldn't do that but in some games it's not as big of a deal. At least they only copied the gameplay mechanics and not entire levels.

I also found a video of "Amy Rose gameplay footage" but the guy never once switched to Amy. I've been curious to how Amy is gonna play and then he does that so I don't get to see anything anyway. Laaaaame.

Sonic has always been my favourite video game character, and just one of my favourite fictional characters in general. Not only are his games a fun escape from reality, but the optimistic attitude of Sonic himself just inspires me to not always feel down and to have faith in myself. Ever since my childhood he has been there for me, and he still is today.

I know that his track record of games hasn't been perfect in terms of reception (personally I enjoy all of them. I'm just acknowledging how the general public have received some of them), but I am still loyal to the franchise and find something to enjoy in every game, comic book, show or film to come out of it. Even though the Sonic fan base can be rude, loud, and ignorant, there is a strange sort of charm to it, and it's developed it's own very unique sense of humour. Given all of the wonderful fan works that have been made as well, I am still very glad to be part of the fandom.

As for my favourite sonic game, I'd actually have to say "Sonic Heroes". I know many will disagree with me, but to this day I pride myself in defending it, as I think it's far more brilliant then people realise, and has the exact kind of things that people have been wanting in a sonic game. It technically wasn't the first sonic game I played, but it was the first one I owned.

I'd be here forever if I discussed my top sonic games, but as for characters, besides sonic himself, I really like Espio, and wish he would have more to do in the recent games. 

Mike Pollock is by far the best and most hilarious voice actor.

I know it's not perfect, but I did actually enjoy a substantial part of Sonic X.

Favourite song? Live Life from Sonic and the Black Knight (also a very underrated title)

I don't have any least favourites in the sonic franchise :)

But as for Sonic Boom. Well, I'm very mixed. It really could go either way, and so far the gameplay footage hasn't done enough to make completely optimistic or pessimistic about it. I want it to do well. It'd be great if it did. But so far, while I like some of what I see, it does look a bit generic and repetitive. I know it's harking back to the classic PS2 platformers, but they are dated for a reason. Sonic made a big impact because his games were new and fresh. Yes, inspired by other gaming icons, but it had it's own unique-ness to it. If sonic wants to maintain his place in the gaming community, then he really needs a game that's fresh and original and of very high quality. If it doesn't turn out that way, then of course Sonic will get back on his feet again like he always does, but it would still de-moralise the fanbase.

But all in all, I still love the blue blur and always will remain a loyal fan.

• Brohoof 1

As for my favourite sonic game, I'd actually have to say "Sonic Heroes".

I really like Espio, and wish he would have more to do in the recent games. 

Mike Pollock is by far the best and most hilarious voice actor.

I know it's not perfect, but I did actually enjoy a substantial part of Sonic X.

Favourite song? Live Life from Sonic and the Black Knight (also a very underrated title)

I don't have any least favourites in the sonic franchise :)

But all in all, I still love the blue blur and always will remain a loyal fan.

Sonic Heroes, huh? Cool! That was actually my very first Sonic game, I really enjoyed it.

Espio? Very unique, can't say I've met a lot of Espio fans.

I agree, Mike Pollock can certainly play a mad scientist to the T. He's actually the longest-lasting Sonic VA to date.

Ah, Sonic X. Personally, on of my all time favorite TV shows. I'm a huge fan of it. ^^

I remember Live Life, it's a beautiful tune. A tone you honestly wouldn't expect to hear Crush 40 preform. I completely agree with you on it being an underrated title, I really enjoyed it. It's been said to be Jason Griffith's best game as Sonic.

No least favorites? My friend, you must not have heard of Omochao. xD

That last line is what matters most. It's hard to find Sonic fans like that anymore. ^^

--------------------------

By the way, has anyone else played and beaten Sonic Unleashed?

I also found a video of "Amy Rose gameplay footage" but the guy never once switched to Amy. I've been curious to how Amy is gonna play and then he does that so I don't get to see anything anyway. Laaaaame.

I would wing it and say a faster version of Sonic Adventure's Amy, but a few parts in previous trailers have shown her doing acrobatic shiz, looks pretty sweet. ^^

Overall, I'm pumped to see how the TV show turns out. It'll be the first since Sonic X.

(edited)

So I found some E3 footage of Sonic Boom Wii-U and it looks pretty bitchin'. A wide variety of gameplay choices.

"You like my new outfit? NAAAIIILED IIIT!" I think eggman has just gone up a place in my list of favourite Sonic characters.

So, yeah. I have to say I'm satisfied with this gameplay style, and the dialogue is also hilarious. I don't have a lot of faith in the combat, however, which is looking to be another button-masher, but everything else is looking great otherwise.

Also, I really need to stop looking at YouTube comments. >_>

Edited by Mars Caramel

Sonic Heroes, huh? Cool! That was actually my very first Sonic game, I really enjoyed it.

Espio? Very unique, can't say I've met a lot of Espio fans.

I agree, Mike Pollock can certainly play a mad scientist to the T. He's actually the longest-lasting Sonic VA to date.

Ah, Sonic X. Personally, on of my all time favorite TV shows. I'm a huge fan of it. ^^

I remember Live Life, it's a beautiful tune. A tone you honestly wouldn't expect to hear Crush 40 preform. I completely agree with you on it being an underrated title, I really enjoyed it. It's been said to be Jason Griffith's best game as Sonic.

No least favorites? My friend, you must not have heard of Omochao. xD

That last line is what matters most. It's hard to find Sonic fans like that anymore. ^^

--------------------------

By the way, has anyone else played and beaten Sonic Unleashed?

I would wing it and say a faster version of Sonic Adventure's Amy, but a few parts in previous trailers have shown her doing acrobatic shiz, looks pretty sweet. ^^

Overall, I'm pumped to see how the TV show turns out. It'll be the first since Sonic X.

I've beaten the Wii/PS2 Sonic Unleashed, almost 100%'d it even, but not the PS360 one.

Yeah, I remember seeing Amy doing some pretty acrobatic stuff. Dunno if that's exclusive to her but Sonic Adventure-ish gameplay sounds about right from the looks of things.

"You like my new outfit? NAAAIIILED IIIT!" I think eggman has just gone up a place in my list of favourite Sonic characters.

So, yeah. I have to say I'm satisfied with this gameplay style, and the dialogue is also hilarious. I don't have a lot of faith in the combat, however, which is looking to be another button-masher, but everything else is looking great otherwise.

Also, I really need to stop looking at YouTube comments. >_>

I don't see anything wrong with button mashing in combat myself but to each his own. :lol:

And as for Youtube comments...yeah. Every time I look at them I see people who are so utterly on the opposite side of the fan spectrum from me it's almost infuriating. People keep crying about how this game doesn't look like Sonic. Aside from the fact that this is the entire point of Sonic Boom I hate the fact that people believe any series should stay so confined to certain rules and if it doesn't follow those very ambiguous rules it's a bad game by default. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Go back to your caves and let games progress.

Which is your favorite Sonic game?

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. More specifically, the port for Nintendo GameCube.

What are your top 5 favorite Sonic games?

1) Sonic Adventure 2: Battle

2) Sonic Generations

3) Sonic the Hedgehog 3

4) Sonic & Knuckles

5) Sonic Colors

Who's your favorite Sonic character?

It's kind of a tie between Knuckles and Tails. Though Knuckles may be the one for me~

Who's your top 5 favorite Sonic characters?

1) Knuckles the Echidna

2) Miles "Tails" Prower

3) Tikal the Echidna

4) Shadow the Hedgehog

5) Sonic the Hedgehog

What's your favorite Sonic song?

Escape from the City, from Sonic Adventure 2.

Which was your favorite Sonic cartoon?

Probably the recent Sonic X.

Thoughts on Sonic Boom?

Uneasy about it, but certainly interested in it! Would definitely try it out.

Who's your favorite Voice Actor for Sonic?

Does Johnny Gioeli, the vocalist of Crush 40, count? :3

Who's your favorite Voice Actor for your favorite character?

I believe that would be Scott Dreier? He does Knuckles' voice in SA2.

Who is your least favorite Sonic Character?

Again, it's a tie between Big the Cat and the Charmy Bee... Both can really get on my nerves.

Who is your least favorite Sonic Voice Actor?

Have no idea... Don't know much about the voice actors. Sorry~

When did you become a Sonic fan?

When I first got my hands on the Sega Genesis and played Sonic & Knuckles for the first time~

What is your least favorite Sonic game?

Oh look, another tie! This time, I can't decide between Sonic '06 and Shadow the Hedgehog games.

What was your first Sonic game?

Sonic & Knuckles for the Sega Genesis.

Ah, Sonic! You fast, blue, spiky lovely thing! <3

I gotta say, deep inside, I've always preferred Sonic over Mario (though Sonic isn't really my favorite franchise of all time). My favorite thing about most of the Sonic games is probably the soundtrack, which, even when the game is a flop, the music in it still rocks! Gotta love Crush 40.

And with Sonic Boom coming out soon, I'm all hyped once again!~

• Brohoof 1

I've beaten the Wii/PS2 Sonic Unleashed, almost 100%'d it even, but not the PS360 one.

Ah, the lesser version. In a respectable manner, of course. What did you think of the game? I beat the 360, PS3, and Wii version. But I know that 360 = PS3, and Wii = PS2. So I've played your version too!

Which is your favorite Sonic game?

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. More specifically, the port for Nintendo GameCube.

Who's your favorite Voice Actor for Sonic?

Does Johnny Gioeli, the vocalist of Crush 40, count? :3

Who's your favorite Voice Actor for your favorite character?

I believe that would be Scott Dreier? He does Knuckles' voice in SA2.

What is your least favorite Sonic game?

Oh look, another tie! This time, I can't decide between Sonic '06 and Shadow the Hedgehog games.

Cool! Sonic Adventure 2 is my second favorite, I believe. I understand your love for Battle, however, they did make an updated HD version port for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3! ^^

No, no he does not. ^^;

But he's a good singer though!

That it was! I remember those days, before SEGA made a fool of Knuckles. ^^;

Really now? I can understand Sonic '06, but I enjoyed both games honestly. '06 is a radical train wreck, but I find it fun to be playing in an Adventure-like style once again. I don't think the same about '06 as most fans do. Also, Shadow is understandable, I got a kick of his Chaos Powers though. Wish Shadow's Chaos Blast would have been the same in '06 as it was in his own game. ^^;

I found this thread and as it so happens I just reviewed the Sonic OVA today, check it out- http://mlpforums.com/blog/1666/entry-12203-sonic-ova-review-new-rules/

Why not just post your thoughts here? What did you think of the OVA? Personally, I thought it was very interesting. I'm not at all a fan of Classic Sonic, but his voice and the story was just as I wanted to see. I didn't like Jaleel White as Sonic, but this guy did the job well. ^^

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I only found this thread after I posted the review on my blog, however I think the OVA despite my griping in the review is a very entertaining watch and I always have a good laugh while watching it. 

Edited by DoubleRainbow_Dash
  • Brohoof 1

Really now? I can understand Sonic '06, but I enjoyed both games honestly. '06 is a radical train wreck, but I find it fun to be playing in an Adventure-like style once again. I don't think the same about '06 as most fans do. Also, Shadow is understandable, I got a kick of his Chaos Powers though. Wish Shadow's Chaos Blast would have been the same in '06 as it was in his own game. ^^;

Well, I had heard a lot (like, a lot) of complains about these two games before I went and tried them out myself. I see how '06 can be enjoyable, but... I don't know, it just felt wrong somehow.

It's not entirely about the game-breaking glitches, but mostly because of the wacky 3D open-world playstyle they approached. It's true that The Black Knight, Unleashed, Adventure and the other 3D Sonics have more-or-less this same style, but in '06 something felt completely off and weird. Just like the car racing stages in Adventure 2... Ugh, those were painful.

As for Shadow the Hedgehog, well... Guns... Motorcycles... Demons... Wha?...

I agree that they can still be fun to play though~

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Ah, the lesser version. In a respectable manner, of course. What did you think of the game? I beat the 360, PS3, and Wii version. But I know that 360 = PS3, and Wii = PS2. So I've played your version too!

I'm one of the few who actually likes Sonic Unleashed in it's entirety. I like both the day and night stages. I also prefer the Wii/PS2 version, which is probably obvious since I haven't beaten the PS360 one.

I like the fact that the boost gameplay of Unleashed is basically an evolution of the Mach Speed parts of the game in Sonic 06, which happened to be some of my favorite parts of 06.

I'm almost certain we've discussed this before. Is it just me? :lol:

Too bad Sonic doesnt got Shizz on Rainbow dash. sonic the hedgehog? more like Sonic the slowhog

Depending on your canon that's not necessarily true. While in the games they have to keep Sonic relatively slow so you can actually control him he's technically supposed to be faster than the speed of sound. If you wanna count the cartoons he can usually cover several thousands of miles in a few seconds. In one of the cartoons he travels to various parts of the world in the blink of an eye even.

All of that isn't even taking into account when he has power rings, chaos emeralds and the like to boost his speed into dimension-crossing levels of speed.

Rainbow Dash isn't nearly as fast as Sonic in most cases and the only people who believe so are people who don't know anything about the Sonic franchise.

Though I don't know the exact numbers so I'm open to being proven wrong, if possible. I haven't seen RD do anything that matches Sonic's speed in the slightest.

Edited by Discordian

Too bad Sonic doesnt got Shizz on Rainbow dash. sonic the hedgehog? more like Sonic the slowhog

lel

Actually, it depends on your canon, as Discordian mentioned before.

It's been said that while Dashie is preforming a Sonic Rainboom, she's going around Mach 10, which is 7,000+ MPH.

Now, Sonic goes "slow" in the games, because if he went his actual speed, the game wouldn't be playable.

Does that mean the mach speed sections in Sonic '06 are his true speed? lelelelel

Out of here, troll!

While Sonic's top speed has yet to be seen/mentioned, in all my years of being a die-hard Sonic fan, the fastest I can remember seeing him go was in a comic, where the circumstances are something I can't remember off the top of my head, something about 2 missiles about to hit opposite sides of the planet, again I dunno. But what I found so interesting about this comic was that Sonic went so fast, he actually stopped time. So this brings us to the question, how fast is time? I dunno, but it's pretty fast.

I only found this thread after I posted the review on my blog, however I think the OVA despite my griping in the review is a very entertaining watch and I always have a good laugh while watching it. 

I'm glad you enjoyed it, as did I. I especially enjoyed the soundtrack of the movie. ^^

Well, I had heard a lot (like, a lot) of complains about these two games before I went and tried them out myself. I see how '06 can be enjoyable, but... I don't know, it just felt wrong somehow.

This is something I think you should take into consideration before listening to other's opinions on Sonic games. A piece of advice I offer to everyone is to play the game yourself, form your own opinion. That's what I've always done.

You have a few Sonic games that received a bad review, so what? As long as you enjoy them.

Plenty of people will find something to hate about every Sonic game, doesn't mean you have to listen to them, though. As I said, play it for yourself first. ^^

I'm one of the few who actually likes Sonic Unleashed in it's entirety. I like both the day and night stages. I also prefer the Wii/PS2 version, which is probably obvious since I haven't beaten the PS360 one.

I like the fact that the boost gameplay of Unleashed is basically an evolution of the Mach Speed parts of the game in Sonic 06, which happened to be some of my favorite parts of 06.

I'm almost certain we've discussed this before. Is it just me? :lol:

I can understand, the medal collecting in Sonic Unleashed is a royal pain in the ass. It's one of the reasons it's not on my top favorite Sonic games. The story is incredible though, I'll tell you that. I think you would enjoy the superior version. ^^

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think Sonic's boost is an evolution of the Mach Speed. There is a part in Sonic Lost World where you do the exact thing as you did in '06, but I won't spoil anything for you since you haven't played the game yet.

I'm unsure, but I'm fine with repeating myself. I'm always in the mood to discuss Sonic!

Don't forget the famous Archie comic panel with the Limit Break.

That's what I was talking about, the comic.

Let's see if I can find it here...

Ah!

It's not as cinematic as it could have been, but it was done with ease!

Im so hyped for Sonic Boom I cant put it into words, it feels like Sonic could become really popular again.

I agree, but I'm even more excited about the recently confirmed Sonic movie made by Sony Pictures.

SEGA want Sonic to be popular again, and as long as they quit listening to the fans, I think they'll have a very good chance of doing so.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I agree, but I'm even more excited about the recently confirmed Sonic movie made by Sony Pictures.

SEGA want Sonic to be popular again, and as long as they quit listening to the fans, I think they'll have a very good chance of doing so.

Yeah all the fans want is a clone of the Genesis games or a clone of the Adventure games. They don't want Sonic to do anything but that. Most fans don't know what's good for Sonic. :lol:

lel

Actually, it depends on your canon, as Discordian mentioned before.

It's been said that while Dashie is preforming a Sonic Rainboom, she's going around Mach 10, which is 7,000+ MPH.

Now, Sonic goes "slow" in the games, because if he went his actual speed, the game wouldn't be playable.

Does that mean the mach speed sections in Sonic '06 are his true speed? lelelelel

Out of here, troll!

While Sonic's top speed has yet to be seen/mentioned, in all my years of being a die-hard Sonic fan, the fastest I can remember seeing him go was in a comic, where the circumstances are something I can't remember off the top of my head, something about 2 missiles about to hit opposite sides of the planet, again I dunno. But what I found so interesting about this comic was that Sonic went so fast, he actually stopped time. So this brings us to the question, how fast is time? I dunno, but it's pretty fast.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, as did I. I especially enjoyed the soundtrack of the movie. ^^

This is something I think you should take into consideration before listening to other's opinions on Sonic games. A piece of advice I offer to everyone is to play the game yourself, form your own opinion. That's what I've always done.

You have a few Sonic games that received a bad review, so what? As long as you enjoy them.

Plenty of people will find something to hate about every Sonic game, doesn't mean you have to listen to them, though. As I said, play it for yourself first. ^^

I can understand, the medal collecting in Sonic Unleashed is a royal pain in the ass. It's one of the reasons it's not on my top favorite Sonic games. The story is incredible though, I'll tell you that. I think you would enjoy the superior version. ^^

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think Sonic's boost is an evolution of the Mach Speed. There is a part in Sonic Lost World where you do the exact thing as you did in '06, but I won't spoil anything for you since you haven't played the game yet.

I'm unsure, but I'm fine with repeating myself. I'm always in the mood to discuss Sonic!

That's what I was talking about, the comic.

Let's see if I can find it here...

Ah!

It's not as cinematic as it could have been, but it was done with ease!

The medal collecting is why I haven't beaten it but not a large reason why I like the other one more. I just feel like the "simpler is better" mentality of the SD version is better for the style of game they were going for. The HD version had a lot of little things that bogged it down like the quicktime events during Werehog fights that were way too fast for their own good.

But it's not like I can't see why most would prefer the HD version, I just prefer the SD one myself. It doesn't even feel like a superior vs inferior version of each game, just...two different and equal versions. They do different things with different methods. The only thing I wish it had was traversable maps rather than doing everything through a menu.

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 1

Both versions have a horrible imbalance of gameplay in general (75% werehog, Day sections are literally just going fast, Werehog sections are either loads of tricky platforming or loads of waves of enemies etc.) In both versions so it doesn't really matter.

Despite that Unleashed is overall okay, with the HD version edging out due to more content in general.