Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone ELSE hate the term Pegasister?

Sweets

It just can't be me. It can't be.

I hate the term Pegasister with a burning passion. There's only one instance where I find it okay, and that is when it's used byo ne specific person I know. She's a sweet girl, and I love her to bits so... Yeah, I don't mind it with her. But when someone comes to me, asks if I like the show and I say 'Yes, I'm a Brony.' and they correct me:

"Umm... no... Wouldn't you be a pegasister?"

"You're a girl so you're a pegasister not a brony." 

Look at me.

Look. At. Me.

I

Hate

This

Term. 

It's a really soft spot for me, to be honest. Why does there need to be a separate term? Why can't we all be Bronies and stay untied? The way I see it, when you start separating genders/races/etc. with these sorts of terms, you're inviting a bunch of drama. This isn't always so, but it really is just how I feel. And I really don't want to be the only one who thinks this.

• Brohoof 8

(edited)

Im a guy and i honestly don't like it..it has awkward ring to it for me..  :huh:

Why not 'Pegasis' instead?? Sounds a whole lot better.

Orrrrr you could just use Brony,tho i have no idea if 'Brony' truly a male only title..i like to think its gender neutral.

Edited by Pinkamena-Pills
  • Brohoof 1

I find it an unfitting term as well, the question being asked is what if a female fan does not identify as a pegasus but a unicorn or earth pony? Brony should be opened up as being a gender neutral name for fans.

So, to put it simply, I support you dislike for being a pegasister though I am male.

• Brohoof 1

I only rarely use the term "pegasister", and that's when someone asks what a pegasister is. Which I reply, "A pegasister is a secondary term for a female brony." I feel that the term "brony" is universal to any gender. But on the otherside, I do see how and why it is used the way it is now. For instance, dudes are guy, and dudettes are girls. Same with guido and guidettes.

• Brohoof 1

Considering I'm a male, can't say I'm personally offended by it. I do totally understand why some female fans don't like the term, though. Kind of a separation type ordeal, putting them in their own class - which isn't something that should happen in the sense of gender or really anything of that sort of personal nature.

I usually just use "brony" no matter who I'm encountering, to stay on the safe side :D

• Brohoof 1

I am NOT a pegasister by any means. To be a pegasister IMO assumes you have been into MLP before G4 or/and it's perfectly acceptable for you to be a fan and thus do not fit into the term brony since that is a label upon abnormal aspect of the MLP fandom. However, I feel like neither of these fit me. I burned barbies as as kid (wanted to marry Bigfoot the monster truck) and all my friends thought I went off the deep end when I told them I liked a little girl's show. believe me, if there is any female fan who does not fit the term "pegsister", it's me!

For instance, dudes are guy, and dudettes are girls. Same with guido and guidettes.

Doing some searching on the use of the term 'bro' I found this:

Article 22 of the Bro Code "There is no law that prohibits a woman from being a Bro"

Laughs, so there you have it. A reason why female fans can be called a Brony.

• Brohoof 5

Well the term "pegasister" was created because the word brony had been made by combining bro+pony. There was enough uproar over this to cause a secondary term to be created to appease those who did not like being "forced" to identify as a masculine word.

But I feel that the word of the day should just be brony,as since it is a colloquium, we can change the definition to be gender neutral, and thus prevent further splintering of the fandom.

• Brohoof 2

To be fair, I have seem some females prefer 'pegasister' to 'brony.' To me, it's a preference issue.

I really don't care for the term myself, but if someone wants to be called either a brony or pegasister; that's their decision.

Brony is Universal, while Pegasister is aimed towards girls.

Honestly, I'm indifferent on name calling. Either one can still be a jerk or a saint. :)

The term has been shown time and time again in polls to be unpopular with female bronies, and understandably so.  In a fandom that's done so much to smash gender boundaries, why go and focus on gender specific labels, especially such a clumsy one.  tbh I rarely hear the term used by those deep within the fandom anymore. 

• Brohoof 1

considering im a male, the term does not offend me in the slightest

its all personal preference but i think its weird calling a girl a brony but if girls want to be called bronies, ill call them bronies

Yes. I'm a girl and in all the years I've been a fan of MLP, I've preferred to call myself a Brony rather than a Pegasister. Who in the name of Celestia even came up with such and idiotic name as 'Pegasister'? I'm not offended if anyone calls me or any female MLP fan a Pegasister, but it just sounds so stupid.

I hate the term pegasister. :eww:

There's no need to have a separate term. We are bronies. We are not a separate community. This is one of the only fandoms that have separate terms for genders. One of those are juggalos and juggalettes. And do we really want to be compared to them?

Think about it. Whovians are not Whovians and Whoviettes. They are united in their fandom, and we should be too.

also pegasister is long and corny. Pegasus and sister? Gag.

• Brohoof 2

If you prefer to be called a Brony, then call yourself a Brony. Don't let anyone else tell you what's right or wrong. I don't like either term and I never cared for the "brony" label myself. I'm just a guy who enjoys the show, that's it. But that's my personal preference

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I like the term itself; I think it's cute. But, it's unneeded, and like everyone else said, no one should be forced to have a label.

Edited by Callisto
  • Brohoof 2

Well if Brony is just Bro mixed with pony, as I'm thinking that's how it was come up with, and guys call girls bro almost all the time, well, I do anyway, I say that we don't need two definitions of the same group of fans. But don't worry, your a Brony to me. 

• Brohoof 1

Honestly I usually dislike any made up term used to describe a certain collective group of fans for something. I'm only okay with Bronies because it's short and sweet and an easy way of identifying our specific social group, though it annoys me when it is over-saturated, especially on sites dedicated to our social group. Yes, we are all Bronies here, we know, there is no longer any need to say the term while we are on here.

Pegasister can be an innocent mere alteration of Brony, though really, there is no need for the gender separation, and again, it shouldn't be over saturated. 

(edited)

Yes I agree. I do not like the term very much. I believe that the term "Brony" can be used for both genders despite it's origins. I feel that by calling the parts of the fandom by two different names is almost dividing us in two and I very much don't like that. I'd rather we all be united under the banner that is Brony.

Edited by AnonBrony
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

If someone doesn't like it, sure. Whatever. But it's hardly 'separation'. I mean, literally it is, but brony=BRO+pony. That being said, I really don't care, I just expected female members of the fandom to be more offended by the term brony than pegasister, but whatever, I just don't understand why everyone gets so pissed off by the term.

HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

Edited by rainbowdash1452