Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone ELSE hate the term Pegasister?

Sweets

I don't like it either. Why? Because I can't think of any other fandom that separates male and female fans like this. It just creates unnecessary divides and no good can come of it.

• Brohoof 1

Well I think most girls I've meet seem to just call themselves bronys not pegasisters, just call yourself whatever feels comfortable.

I'm a guy but I prefer pegasister to brony as words go, Pegasister to me sounds chic and sexy, brony sounds a bit...meh. 

Having said that I don't really care it's just the name of the club and that's life, I don't like cringe when I read the word brony lol

• Brohoof 1

I don't "hate" the term. I find it a bit silly to have a separate term for female fans. I also find it silly to hate it. It's just a fan name, it's not like it's sexist or derogatory or anything, so why hate it. Sure it's cheesy sounding and it's silly and kind of weird to have a female fan nickname(pretty much every fandom aside from this one has just one fan nickname that applies to both genders), but it's nothing other than that. Why hate it? Is it because it's used just for females? Well yeah but it's not a rude nickname it's just "pegasister". Is it because it sounds stupid? Really? Really? That's just....nevermind. I don't identify as pegasister but I wouldn't flip the f--- out if someone called me one. I wouldn't care. It's a silly term lighten the hell up. Geesh. -.-

• Brohoof 1

I kind of see "Brony" as a male only term..

I just can't see a girl being called a "Bro". That would be weird IMO.

I see nothing wrong with Pegasister, but your free to call yourself whatever you want I suppose.

(But I will always see "Brony" as male only. Period.)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It just can't be me. It can't be.

I hate the term Pegasister with a burning passion. There's only one instance where I find it okay, and that is when it's used by one specific person I know. She's a sweet girl, and I love her to bits so... Yeah, I don't mind it with her.

Well, that's hardly fair. In fact, it smacks of discrimination. Why is it okay for your friend, but not for me? I like being a pegasister, and wish the term would have caught on. I'm not a "Bro" so I don't feel Brony is really fitting.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 2

Well, that's hardly fair. In fact, it smacks of discrimination. Why is it okay for your friend, but not for me? I like being a pegasister, and wish the term would have caught on. I'm not a "Bro" so I don't feel Brony is really fitting.

Because she's special to me. She's a younger girl, sister to one of my High school friends who doesn't make friends easily. I'm not an asshole, so when she wants to call me pegasister, she means it not only as another fan, but that we share a sisterly bond (I lived with her and her family a few months). So THAT'S why. I'm at least 6 years older than she is and she's a sweet kid, so I indulge her a little bit. I don't think that's wrong of me.

I don't "hate" the term. I find it a bit silly to have a separate term for female fans. I also find it silly to hate it. It's just a fan name, it's not like it's sexist or derogatory or anything, so why hate it. Sure it's cheesy sounding and it's silly and kind of weird to have a female fan nickname(pretty much every fandom aside from this one has just one fan nickname that applies to both genders), but it's nothing other than that. Why hate it? Is it because it's used just for females? Well yeah but it's not a rude nickname it's just "pegasister". Is it because it sounds stupid? Really? Really? That's just....nevermind. I don't identify as pegasister but I wouldn't flip the f--- out if someone called me one. I wouldn't care. It's a silly term lighten the hell up. Geesh. -.-

Oh, I'm perfectly fine. I just dislike the term very much so. It's ironic, don you think, that the fandom that gets a lot of crap for blurring gender lines creates gender specific terms for its fans? I'm just not a fan of the word. It just doesn't sound right.

I don't like it either. Why? Because I can't think of any other fandom that separates male and female fans like this. It just creates unnecessary divides and no good can come of it.

Also, this. ^

(edited)

True the fandom does get flack for that but anymore pegasister is an obscure term. From what I've seen that is. I just see brony but they say female brony or something like that. -shrugs-

Edited by Captchet

(edited)

Brony is a gender-neutral word.

Always has been for me, always will. Unless you WANTED to draw special attention to your gender, why would anyone want to be called anything else?

Edited by Dattebayo

(edited)

I don't mind it. In fact, I prefer to refer to myself as a "pegasister" rather than a "brony".

Edited by Royal Samurott

(edited)

I'm a guy and I don't hate it, however looks like we need a more unisex term since "brony" comes from "brother" and girls are not brothers but sisters, just like guys are brothers and not sisters.

Not sure, something like "Hoofers" or "Maners" for instance?

Edited by RainbowMau

(edited)

I think that only those in the fandom know that "Brony" is essentially neutral in regards to males or females watching the show.

And I don't hate the term personally. It might be best for it to disappear but it's not like a hate word or anything.

Edited by Silver Letter

@@Sweets

Sounds mostly trivial, here.

Truth is, yeah, if people try to correct you about identifying as a brony instead of a pegasister, they are in the wrong. Otherwise, it seems like quite a fuss for nothing.

I don't hate it. It's a term created because 'Brony' is clearly masculine. If you want to call yourself a 'Brony', fine. But if I were to go under a fandom title (which I don't), it would be Pegasister without any doubt.

I believe that if we were going to be 'united under one term', it would need to be 100% gender neutral. I reject the notion that masculinity should be neutral, so I will never be a 'Brony'.

I don't have a problem with people who prefer to be called "pegasister", it's all up to the individual. But personally I think "brony" is more inclusive to everyone and, in my opinion, pretty gender neutral.

I personally don't see a problem with it. My girlfriend doesn't mind being referred to as a pegasister and I really don't see how it can be such a derogatory term. I mean it's a sort of fun way to differentiate the female fans from the male fans. Like female and male, two different terms for two different sexes.

If you're offended by it, then just say so. If you want to be called a brony, then so be it! :D 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Sweets

Sounds mostly trivial, here.

Truth is, yeah, if people try to correct you about identifying as a brony instead of a pegasister, they are in the wrong. Otherwise, it seems like quite a fuss for nothing.

Never said it wasn't trivial. I just figured I'd gauge the reactions of the folks here, since this is quite a large group. 

Edited by Sweets
  • Brohoof 1

Well, honestly I don't have any real hate towards the term, I really don't mind it, but then again I'm a guy and thus don't get called a Pegasister, so I have no real reason to resent the term I suppose.

I usually just call girls by whatever comes to my mouth first. Unless I remember them explicitly stating that they don't like being called a pegasister, then I just call them bronies.

I can understand why girls wouldn't like the term, but I don't personally mind it, so I just try and remember if any girls have a preference.

Alot of times I just use bronies, especially if I don't know if the person is a girl or not(Because were online, and I don't always check profiles, or remember for that matter.)

(edited)

OMG YES!!!! It's too long, too girly, the term is not as well-known and recognizable as "brony", and I always get corrected by others when I call myself a brony.

"Aren't bronies supposed to be guys"  PPLE STFU :eww:

It sounds stupid also.

Edited by RainbowPastel
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm a male, and I HATE the "pegasister" title possibly more than you, OP. "Brony" was created as and has always been a gender-neutral title to describe fans of FIM regardless of age or gender. "Pegasister," on the other hand, is BLATANTLY sexist because it was created/revived to segregate the female bronies from the rest of the fandom, and it doesn't help when it uses one race of ponies — "pegasus" — and spits on the others.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

Well the term "pegasister" was created because the word brony had been made by combining bro+pony. There was enough uproar over this to cause a secondary term to be created to appease those who did not like being "forced" to identify as a masculine word.

But I feel that the word of the day should just be brony,as since it is a colloquium, we can change the definition to be gender neutral, and thus prevent further splintering of the fandom.

This... I have to counter argue a little about word of the day thing... I call someone a "pony". Plain and simple. You see... from my experience and I have done this, it's the truth... I have litterally made it a part of my personality to say it with meaning. I mean, come on pony (for example) has a good soft touch regardless of gender because it's genderless. What are we really? I know this much... I haven't met a brony that was EVER offended by being referred to as pony in natural conversation. But non brony's... Do find it odd. Someone close to me one day burst back and shout at me "Stop calling me a pony! I'm not a pony! blah blah blah) so that's when I knew, he would NEVER be a true brony, even though he enjoys watching the show more then he would even admit.

to any pony reading this reply. Try it with your brony friends. Slip the word pony in when emotoinally responding about something. For example let's say they said something stupid. You respond with "Pony.... seriously..."   and there you have it, you used pony in reference to them as an individual regardless of gender.

Let's something happened and you have to say. "I don't know pony, that haters going to get it one day."

So get out there and ponify yourself and your friends. Or use names. I prefer Twilight all the same. Don't see me changing my name like some of you guys changing yours more then the diapers your moms changed on you combined do you? No? Then settle down and pick a name pony. (see? used it again. Not hard huh?)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I love being a pegasister! I don't feel like the term brony resonates with me as well. I would be sad if the community did away with this term as a whole because I feel like lots of people do like identifying as pegasisters.There's nothing inherently wrong with giving women their own word to use. The term doesn't "segregate" us, and it's not sexist - we're still all apart of the same community. Many people, myself included, simply enjoy having a word that fits their feminine gender expression. It's just a matter of preference.

Edited by Jennabun
  • Brohoof 1