Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do you care about the brony fandom?

Keen Blade

This thread: "Is it the same anymore?" asks whether the community has changed. And given that I've seen such threads here and there in the fandom, I wanted to ask you: Just what is it you are afraid might change? Why is the idea of it changing a matter of concern to you? What about the fandom makes you care whether it exists or not, whether it is the same as it's been in the past? Why do you feel invested in it?

It has defiantly changed. It got bigger, and people saw it as a way to get very popular for artwork. The reddit community has changed a lot, the main sub now is basically just spammed with the same artwork over and over from the same people, it used to be more about pointing out interesting things in the show and a news hub (but someone decided it would be a great idea to have 30 sub reddits instead of just one).

Infact, the people changed, originally it was different, then at the end of S2 loads of people joined the fandom when MLP got hyped a lot and started to get outside news coverage. The people changed, and a lot of what the fandom was about was lost. It used to be about people enjoying the show, and then it became more about being a brony, and fighting with haters and trying to change the world views on gender equality ect.

Thats the reason I came to the forum initially, I has started to dislike all the other normal brony meeting places (on-line), and people on here where more liek the original community.

Don't get me wrong, its changed on here. There are many people who don't like the show or who don't watch it, but still consider themselves bronys. The great thing about this forum is that it has large sections where people who watch the show and enjoy talking about it can do just that, sadly places which got lost in many other areas of the fandom.

I care now about the fandom because there are so many wonderful people in! :D

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't really care. This is just another fandom, it will come and go or adapt and morph into something long lasting, but at the end of the day it's just a hobby. Nothing more. I care more for the people I've met individually more than the fandom itself, but that's not inclusive of them being bronies, since some of them have since left the fandom. I'm here as long as I'm having fun, and when it stops I'm gone.

Edited by (g)ood (g)ame
  • Brohoof 2

A lot of great responses have been made since I posted this topic. Now, I suppose I should make my own.

I think I care because I never believed I would ever find a community with such a positive, friendly, welcoming atmosphere. To me, the whole brony thing was counter-cultural, not so much in the "breaking gender norms" way people talk about so much, but in the attitude of sincerity, friendliness, and support people offer. A lot of the world in general is cynical, bitter, angry. The de facto way to talk, to think, to live, is to never feel very strongly, never be open or sincere or enthused, to never let yourself be vulnerable and instead coat yourself in a shell of unattached disregard.

Bronies showed me there were a lot of people who wanted much more than that. The show itself is counter-cultural for the same reasons, for depicting a colorful world where many kinds of people are able to get along with one another, support each other, where characters talk openly and plainly about friendship, doing what's right, and about their love for the things that drive them. I think the reason so many people have been drawn to the show is because we want that kind of world in our real lives, a place where we are free to be ourselves and to celebrate others and be celebrated by them for doing so.

So I think that's the most important thing to me. Some of us will love ponies forever, some will lose interest, and most will find their interest varies over time, as with most things. I've always known that, and I'm okay with that. Just, whatever happens and wherever everyone goes, I hope that people will hold on to that vision of a better world, to that sense of being free to be yourself, to that sense of community, not because it was something in a show or a fandom, but because it's right in itself; it's the way the real world ought to be.

(edited)

I love this fandom because it's very friendly and welcoming to all, and fans have created really great things in honor of the show (art, music, etc) and overall I'm very proud to be in this fandom.

Edited by Rainboom Dash
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Just what is it you are afraid might change?

Nothing.

Why is the idea of it changing a matter of concern to you?

Sigh, if change was so important then we as monkeys should have never evolved. It doesn't matter me, but change is said to be very important.

I really don't care about the fandom at all. I find 90% of the fandom to be horrible mean people that only care about them selfs and they're very horrible and nasty people that I have a hard time accepting and liking. It's such a horrible fandom. But I've met a handful of mediocre members that I got along with. So it's hard for me to like the fandom.

I care about this fandom because of all the great people I've met here. :squee: I'm no longer a big fan of the show, but it's great that I've been able to make lots of friends here :)

The only thing I'm worried about changing is my friends here leaving - that would make me so sad, especially if we had no other way of contact. :(

I'm really sorry to hear that RDashFan has had a really bad experience with the members of the fandom :/

Edited by SparklingSwirls

to be honest I really care this fandom than the rest, even the anime fandom

unlike in the Anime fandom this fandom have that Family and bonding spirit where I really feel comfortable and this fandom is more Open than the other :) well in my experience though. I've met most of my friends here and I really care for them :)

But sadly like anything else, this fandom will come to its end some day :(

Why do I care about the fandom?

Well, there are quite a few things. First of all, I swear you meet some of the nicest and most genuine people here, people that you pretty much can't find anywhere else.

The herd itself is so warm and comfortable in welcoming that I don't feel like I'm an outcast. I feel like I fit right in.

There's just so much more to the fandom than just the show itself. It's almost endless as to what you can find.

It's also one of those off-beat, hidden gems that I really dig. (To be fair, I am a fairly unusual, unorthodox person).

Joining the herd has also helped me cope with some things in my life that I'd rather not mention. It kinda became part of a healing process, I guess you could say.

I could keep thinking of reasons why I care about the fandom, but I think that pretty much sums it up.

I just find reasons why this fandom sucks more and more. This fandom has a lot of assholes in it. Like making death threats to the writers because of changes so I can't find love for this fandom.

I care because I have met many awesome people because of it.  Despite its faults and some bad eggs its still one of the nicer communities around.  I haven't been in many but I have seem way more drama in some fandoms and communities  around the net.

I care about the brony fandom, because I can talk and discuss things with them that I can't to others without being criticized and hated on. It's like a second part of me, that exists only in the brony fandom. Plus, there's always new shit and drama going on. o/

• Brohoof 3

I care about the brony fandom, because I can talk and discuss things with them that I can't to others without being criticized and hated on. It's like a second part of me, that exists only in the brony fandom. Plus, there's always new shit and drama going on. o/

img-934451-1-smiling_pinkie_pie_approved

And so do I <3

I mean, My Little Pony, aside from being one of the greatest shows I ever watched (I mean, I cried during at least four episodes, and it takes a REALLY GOOD DEAL of work to make it happens to me), and I care about the fandom because I like to believe you guys have the same feelings towards the show as I do.

Not only feelings, but respect, for it is really well made

• Brohoof 1

I'm really having a hard time focusing on a serious or illuminating thought after seeing that image of potty time Twilight. :lol:

My enjoyment of the show and of the fandom are so intertwined for me that it is actually difficult to appreciate one without the other. I also have a wealth of experience in participating in other fandoms and groups, and comparing the two shews me that we have our own unique aura about us. Now, drilling down to a more granular level ... we have this forum. You all know how I feel about this place.

But the question is why do I care?

:blink:

I honestly can't answer that. I mean I could give you a clinical response about emotion, but other than that I don't exactly know why. Quite frankly, I don't want to know why. There is something special here in general ... I would rather just enjoy it instead of analyzing it.

I've met more assholes than good people here in this fandom.

And I've met way more good people than assholes.

Also, no matter the anecdotes, it still doesn't change the fact there are way more good people in the brony fandom than assholes. Check out all the charity work done to help people for example, from the Unicon disaster to donating money to give Michael Morones treatment to the Brony Thank You Fund.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 4

Well yeah they did a couple of good deeds but those good deeds doesn't erase all the horrible things this fandom dose do. This fandom doesn't accept other likes of shows you like. Some do do a ton don't. There is no love and tolerance in this fandom at all. That phrase doesn't exist in this fandom. I've seen more hate than love here In this fandom. So I can't say nice things at all about this fandom. I just put on a fake smile and keep my mouth shut most of the time.

@@RDashFan85, You'll need to quote or mention me next time, because I didn't see it.

This fandom doesn't accept other likes of shows you like.

Is that so? Because for all I've seen, the brony fandom is extremely diverse with what they like both in and out of the fandom. You have plenty really love FIM and consider it their most favorite cartoon currently airing. Others really like this show and find others a bit more appealing, like Tommy Oliver's adoration for Gravity Falls and myself with Thomas & Friends.

There's a lot of people who discuss what they like or not. However, just because you like or dislike something doesn't absolve you from getting people to question your logic. If you present a poorly informed opinion, expect to be called out.

There is no love and tolerance in this fandom at all. That phrase doesn't exist in this fandom.

You need to observe what it is and where it came from. "Love and tolerate" came from 4chan to countetroll the trolls, and is now an optional mantra for anyone in and out of the fandom. No one is obligated to follow it blindly or at all. Even if they did, there's a specific time when to tolerate and whatnot, and "love and tolerate" is no excuse for a lack of criticism.

Also, why does it need to be a part of the fandom, anyway? People are independent beings who vary their ways of thinking. There's no code to be a brony other than to be a fan of FIM. Nothing more. Adding more unwritten guidelines complicates things and divides the fandom.

You claim to witness more hate in this fandom than not despite the fact there's way more good in this fandom than what you blindly believe. I gave you some examples of the contrary, and there are way more to go out there I or anyone else can provide, this being one of them.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

This fandom has hurt me in a lot of ways, and it led to a lot of bitterness in me. I talked it out with a good friend who always offers me good, yet honest, advice, and he told me I had become like this trope. After I took time off and did some self-reflecting, I realized he was right.

I do still dislike the fandom to an extent. I've made great friends in this fandom - the best friends I've ever had. Even with all of the charity work and whatnot, though, I can't really help but remember my violent induction into the fandom and how that's affected me since.

Bullying leaves a lasting impact that isn't positive, and this fandom targeted me with it for a few months. It's not good feeling alone, feeling like no one wants you and that you'd be better off gone, yet I endured that and yet I'm still here. Glad I am, too, but it's not something I'm willing to just put aside.

Even with all of that, though, I don't care about the Brony fandom. What I do care about is the wonderful friends I've made in it - the ones I can't wait to talk to every day, and the ones who treat me like I'm a person and an equal. I love that and I wouldn't ask for better friends in the world, and I've met every single one of them through this fandom :D

• Brohoof 1

Well yeah they did a couple of good deeds but those good deeds doesn't erase all the horrible things this fandom dose do. This fandom doesn't accept other likes of shows you like. Some do do a ton don't. There is no love and tolerance in this fandom at all. That phrase doesn't exist in this fandom. I've seen more hate than love here In this fandom. So I can't say nice things at all about this fandom. I just put on a fake smile and keep my mouth shut most of the time.

I wish I knew what in the world you're talking about...may I ask what your definition of an asshole is? Edited by RaveLow