Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do you care about the brony fandom?

Keen Blade

This thread: "Is it the same anymore?" asks whether the community has changed. And given that I've seen such threads here and there in the fandom, I wanted to ask you: Just what is it you are afraid might change? Why is the idea of it changing a matter of concern to you? What about the fandom makes you care whether it exists or not, whether it is the same as it's been in the past? Why do you feel invested in it?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well, I'm not to the point of willing to give my life for the pony gods or anything.

But I care about the fandom because it is mostly just people like me who enjoy a tv show and its related media and merchandise.

As for what people may fear in change, they fear it becoming like the mainstream, were intense social cliques are formed, everyone is judged harshly on appearance, and the interests are as vapid and as passing as the wind. People fear change because change is often unknown, you can never fully understand what change is going to bring, what it is going to get rid of. It is natural to be weary of change, as it can often end up destroying something you held dear. But change isn't the end all evil, and things must evolve in someway in order to stay relevant and survive. The idea of something changing, especially something were you poured hundreds of hours into it, can often be concerning and frightening. They fear the risk of loosing relevancy, or loosing the connection to people they formed via this fandom. Many people fear something they invested so much time into changing it is a fairly natural reaction. They invest time into it out of desire to connect to other people, to share ideas and experiences.

People care about this fandom because of what it has given them, or what it can give them. From new friends, to new ideas and artwork and helps on improving your writing and musical skills, to just sharing your thoughts about a TV show that until very recently, society said you cannot watch. They care because of what this can give them as both a fandom (in terms of more knowledge of the show, more people to share ideas about the show with) and as a social group to form bonds and friendships with people.

Edited by Miaq_The_Truthful
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

My view on it is I don't care what changes, I'm just along for the ride. I think that 'worrying' about your hobby to such an extent that you say things like "I'm leaving the fandom if..." is a quick way to become cynical to that hobby and it would be better served if people just relaxed and understood that things are going to happen.

I suppose that means I'm not terribly invested in the fandom, as I don't want it to actually affect my general happiness in a negative way but while I'm here I try to have as much fun as I can. I'll have an OC and discuss lore and fanon, but I don't want to reach a point where a development in MLP can ruin my day ("Oh no Twilight has wings! The world is ending!"); it seems like it'd be such a shame to let a cartoon have that kind of effect on me, even a cartoon that I really, really like.

Of course this isn't to say someone can't get that invested and be just fine, this is just my personal take on it.

Edited by TenorSounds
  • Brohoof 4

Well, I'm not to the point of willing to give my life for the pony gods or anything.

But I care about the fandom because it is mostly just people like me who enjoy a tv show and its related media and merchandise.

As for what people may fear in change, they fear it becoming like the mainstream, were intense social cliques are formed, everyone is judged harshly on appearance, and the interests are as vapid and as passing as the wind. People fear change because change is often unknown, you can never fully understand what change is going to bring, what it is going to get rid of. It is natural to be weary of change, as it can often end up destroying something you held dear. But change isn't the end all evil, and things must evolve in someway in order to stay relevant and survive. The idea of something changing, especially something were you poured hundreds of hours into it, can often be concerning and frightening. They fear the risk of loosing relevancy, or loosing the connection to people they formed via this fandom. Many people fear something they invested so much time into changing it is a fairly natural reaction. They invest time into it out of desire to connect to other people, to share ideas and experiences.

People care about this fandom because of what it has given them, or what it can give them. From new friends, to new ideas and artwork and helps on improving your writing and musical skills, to just sharing your thoughts about a TV show that until very recently, society said you cannot watch. They care because of what this can give them as both a fandom (in terms of more knowledge of the show, more people to share ideas about the show with) and as a social group to form bonds and friendships with people.

You know, I think everything you've said has already happened. We are mainstream! A couple of years ago if I said I was a Brony to my friends they would have just laughed, maybe thought I was a bit weird. But now, whenever I tell anyone I'm a Brony, they just shrug their shoulders and say 'good for you'!

• Brohoof 1

I don't really care as much, but I can say that the fandom has the skills to make all of this content to stay solely dedicated to a show that we love. So, I'm not invested but I'm proud of who I am and who we are.

• Brohoof 1

the fandom has gotten better!

I mean come on, the show is amazing, we got a word entered into the dictionary, and we've raised HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS, if not MILLIONS of dollars of charity.

no, its not the same anymore, because its so much greater!

• Brohoof 3

You know, I think everything you've said has already happened. We are mainstream! A couple of years ago if I said I was a Brony to my friends they would have just laughed, maybe thought I was a bit weird. But now, whenever I tell anyone I'm a Brony, they just shrug their shoulders and say 'good for you'!

We aren't quite mainstream yet. You still get those Fox News reports about how weird we are as a fringe group, and they are still pumping out documentaries about the group. It has become a global thing for sure, but we haven't yet breached the collective zombie like phycie that is the mainstream.

• Brohoof 1

We aren't quite mainstream yet. You still get those Fox News reports about how weird we are as a fringe group, and they are still pumping out documentaries about the group. It has become a global thing for sure, but we haven't yet breached the collective zombie like phycie that is the mainstream.

I dunno, maybe because I'm in the UK we're a bit more tolerant, or Bronies are just less well known over here!

• Brohoof 2

Really... I just care about the people in this fandom. This fandom has easily the most colorful, wonderful people I have ever met. So long as this fandom, especially on this forum, stays as crazy & fun-loving as before I don't think I will stop loving this forum or the nutjobs of it, even if I am only a closet brony who likes the show, & not some diehard fan. At the end of the day, what kept me on the forums is the fact that everytime I get on here, there is a new colorful group to join, or to talk too, or just make friends with. So long as you all stay this way, I think I am more than happy sticking around in the fandom for plenty of time to come

• Brohoof 9

I dunno, maybe because I'm in the UK we're a bit more tolerant, or Bronies are just less well known over here!

Here in the US most places that know about bronies are very tolerant, it is just that the majority of Americans do not know we exist, or are to apathetic to care that we do.

• Brohoof 1

Here in the US most places that know about bronies are very tolerant, it is just that the majority of Americans do not know we exist, or are to apathetic to care that we do.

I do know Fox News hate us! But over here the few times we do get mentioned it's always positive. There was a good article a few weeks ago in a free paper called the Metro.

• Brohoof 1

I do know Fox News hate us! But over here the few times we do get mentioned it's always positive. There was a good article a few weeks ago in a free paper called the Metro.

Major corporate media hates everyone. From MSNBC hating all Americans who play violent video games, to Fox News hating all those you don't vote republican, you can't really judge a nations stance on a group from forced media bias created to garner views from being controversial.

Quite a few smaller free papers have run positive stories on the fandom, often highlighting the charity work they have done. But most of mainstream America does not know that we exist in large, and those that do just don't really care.

• Brohoof 3

I think it's all about nostalgia, because people are always longing for "the good old days" when everything was new and exciting. After it doesn't feel as new anymore, people start to think that it got worse. It just doesn't have that freshness to it anymore.

I see it all the time with World of Warcraft. I've played the game for something like 8 years. People all always talking about how great it was when it first came out and ignoring everything it has improved on since then.

• Brohoof 3

I think it's all about nostalgia, because people are always longing for "the good old days" when everything was new and exciting. After it doesn't feel as new anymore, people start to think that it got worse. It just doesn't have that freshness to it anymore.

I see it all the time with World of Warcraft. I've played the game for something like 8 years. People all always talking about how great it was when it first came out and ignoring everything it has improved on since then.

I'm like that with the kids show Arthur! I used to love it when it first came out, but since they switched to using flash animation, it's just been a big 'meh' to me!

• Brohoof 1

I have a love-hate relationship with the fandom

Sometimes you have things like this forum, where there's a lot of friendly folks despite a few detractors

Then you get things like /mlp/ or the EQD comment section

• Brohoof 1

Really... I just care about the people in this fandom. This fandom has easily the most colorful, wonderful people I have ever met. So long as this fandom, especially on this forum, stays as crazy & fun-loving as before I don't think I will stop loving this forum or the nutjobs of it, even if I am only a closet brony who likes the show, & not some diehard fan. At the end of the day, what kept me on the forums is the fact that everytime I get on here, there is a new colorful group to join, or to talk too, or just make friends with. So long as you all stay this way, I think I am more than happy sticking around in the fandom for plenty of time to come

This is a very good point! The show is good, but the social interaction is pretty snazzy too.

• Brohoof 2

I'll admit, I've stopped watching the series long time ago. Recently, I'm way more interested in the community itself than in the show. And when I say community, I mean the artists, singers, writers and all of the forum members in here. Here I have a lots of friends, lots of fun and interesting discussions going on, and really, people that have something in common with me.

I like the fandom now as I liked it then. I think it changing constantly, actually means something positive. The main reason why I come to this here forum everyday is exactly to see what's new, what everyone's talking about, and to talk to my friends. It's a place where I can be myself and drift away from all the real life problems.

So yeah, I guess my answer is: I care about the brony fandom because of the people that make part of it (you guys), and that's it. Simple as that! :3

• Brohoof 1

I like the show for a lot of reasons:

• I like horses
  • I like cartoons
  • I like good cartoons
  • I like continuity
  • I like seeing characters evolve and grow
  • I like musical bits when it's not shoehorned in the show.
  • I like voice actors (not screen actors who are hired for namesake.  Like did you know Johnny Knoxville is going to voice Leonardo in the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie? Because that makes perfect sense right?)
  • I like it when a new pony is introduced; I don't hate them or think they're out of place.

I just hope that MLP reaches syndication and gets played on other channels.  Because if it gets cancelled (heaven forbid), at least the reruns will be available on other channels. ♥

• Brohoof 1

I care about the brony fandom because of being able to meet folks who share my intrest in MLP, and I visit this forum a great deal and discuss more than MLP.

I wouldn’t say I take the fandom as seriously as some though, some do seem to take it a bit too seriously at times and get a bit melodramatic about “the brony fandom” as if it's a relegion or something, and seem totally oblivious that being a brony is being a fan on MLP 

• Brohoof 1

I have a love-hate relationship with the fandom

Sometimes you have things like this forum, where there's a lot of friendly folks despite a few detractors

Then you get things like /mlp/ or the EQD comment section

Really? I usually find the EQD comments to be quite positive and friendly. Still haven't visited /mlp/. 4chan scares me...

I care for the fandom because it is the most welcoming fandom I've encountered so far. The fans are really nice. Not only that, but many of them, from PMV makers to fanfic writers, have a lot of talent. Yeah, the fandom isn't perfect, and there are some... interesting stuff that happens in it, but I prefer to find more good in this fandom then bad. Definitely the best fandom I've been apart of. ;)

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it still has that welcoming vibe. (Well, depending on where you go). And the fan content is still incredible. I ignore the bad parts of the fandom.

Well manely (horse pun) there social ways they do seem like the kind of people I like and for another they are VERY impressive when it comes to fanwork there is many interesting things I like about the fandom there is not just one.