Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fluttershy wears extensions, Mayor Mare dyes

ManaMinori

But just why does mayor Mare dye her name? I've been curious since "Ponyville Confidential", where she's seen with her mane partially dyed.

180px-Mayor_pink_mane_S2E23.png

I think she looks much better, and not as up in her older years, with her original Pink mane, as she was seen in the IDW comics.

Young_Mayor_Mare_from_IDW_Comics_Issue_1

do you think Mayor mare looks better with the grey name, or pink? Why do you think she dyes grey, of all colors?

• Brohoof 2

Perception. Mayor Mare is a public figure and politician that people look up to. Consequently she feels the need to be taken more seriously, which honestly pink hair won't achieve. Having grey hair gives the mayor an impression of age, which suggests experience, seniority and wisdom, much as we see in the respect for Granny Smith and the respect for Starswirl the Bearded.

• Brohoof 8

Perception. Mayor Mare is a public figure and politician that people look up to. Consequently she feels the need to be taken more seriously, which honestly pink hair won't achieve. Having grey hair gives the mayor an impression of age, which suggests experience, seniority and wisdom, much as we see in the respect for Granny Smith and the respect for Starswirl the Bearded.

But then, what's Celestia's excuse? She plays a bigger role than a small-town politician; she's a monarch and a princess, and she's got pastel rainbow colored hair! Ponies still take her seriously.....

(edited)

But then, what's Celestia's excuse? She plays a bigger role than a small-town politician; she's a monarch and a princess, and she's got pastel rainbow colored hair! Ponies still take her seriously.....

She raises the sun, and also the moon for the past 1000 years. If you're a god to your subjects, you don't need gray hair.

Edited by Sunny Fox
  • Brohoof 2

I read the title of the topic, but I don't see anything about fluttershy using extensions. :okiedokielokie:

But anyway, maybe she likes grey more than pink, so she dyes it grey. Where do you even get grey hair dye?

• Brohoof 1

I read the title of the topic, but I don't see anything about fluttershy using extensions. :okiedokielokie:

But anyway, maybe she likes grey more than pink, so she dyes it grey. Where do you even get grey hair dye?

time gives you it for free. its even sel applying with no ammonia! XD

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

do you mean self applying? If so I understand that, if you mean sel, I dunno. Edited by A Brechard Makusu2

That or genetics and/or a condition you may acquire as you age outside of aging. Usually grey, lighter or white hair is due to a lack of or smaller amounts of pigment and melanin.

A good example of a naturally grey haired person in real life is Anderson Cooper.

That or genetics and/or a condition you may acquire as you age outside of aging. Usually grey, lighter or white hair is due to a lack of or smaller amounts of pigment and melanin.

A good example of a naturally grey haired person in real life is Anderson Cooper.

stress can also bring on the grey :P

Pretty much my thoughts. Besides, if one looks closely, only her (fake) gray mane and glasses makes her look older, since her face looks as young as most other mares. And we got Ms. Harshwhinny and Prim Hemline as truly middle aged mares, as evidenced in the bags under their eyes, while Mayor Mare has none

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Man, I would a pink maned mayor mare.....

And as already stated in this thread, she most likely does it to appear more mature. A longer life often results in more life experience, and a greater chance at having actual wisdom. So appearing to be more worldly and older could gain her more popular favor, as people want the best, most experienced mare as mayor of their hamlet, despite how good of a case a more immature appearing person may present we often judge an entire person within 5 seconds just by looking at them. So she dyes her mane to appear more mature, in order to try to make it look like she has more life experience.

Edit: You also forgot Rarity's false eyelashes.

Edited by Miaq_The_Truthful
  • Brohoof 1

I think I like her pink hair better. Though my guess is, Mayor Mare dyes her hair grey because she wants to show a sign of maturity and that she knows how to handle things.

I'm guessing she thought grey rather than pink hair gave her a look of conservativism, dignity, and experience that pink couldn't. Image means a lot in politics, after all.

Teacher at school looks about thirty, he is mainly grey. Might be because he took cannabis at 16. Does that cause grey hair?

Possibly. I knew a former heroin user who said he was 26, and looked close to twice that because of salt and pepper hair and a general haggard appearance.

I think she misses her pink hair or she would actually dye it instead of merely coloring it with temporary color. See that her entire hair has to be redone again and again instead of gradually recoloring the grown hair like it would occur with a normal dye. She must wash out the old color every week before reapplying it. Furthermore, she must dye it to gain extra respect as a minor political figure.

The pink hair is a bit bright and unfitting to me. The gray hair is a bit contrast-y to the brown, but I like it better. When does a pony want gray hair, anyways? XD

(edited)

I would guess it's the same reason they make hair-dye that still leaves you with some grey.

Some people that have careers where experience garners respect like to show their age(to some extent) as a sign of how much experience they have.  

I'm guessing she thought grey rather than pink hair gave her a look of conservativism, dignity, and experience that pink couldn't. Image means a lot in politics, after all.

Possibly. I knew a former heroin user who said he was 26, and looked close to twice that because of salt and pepper hair and a general haggard appearance.

It's not just drugs that do it. My dad drank like a fish as well as smoked heavily and even though he passed at 63, he looked more like he was pushing 80. 

Edited by Shoboni