Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is the Crystal Empire and other "nations" part of Equestria under Celestia?

The Boulder

I guess this kinda isn't important, but I've been wondering this ever since the episode where the Crystal Empire reappeared :huh: : is the Crystal Empire part of Celestia's kingdom, or is its own country. Come to think of it, are places like Saddle Arabia, and where ever the Griffins are from part of it too? Or are they like satalitte states, or providences, or completely independant nations?

They all appeared at the Equestria Games but they competed alongside single cities that are for sure part of Equestria, like Ponyville and Cloudsdale. This makes me think that they're all part of Equestria.

However, I'm thinking the Griffins and Saddle Arabia could be there own nations, since Celestia had to meet with ambassadors from SA, and the Griffens seem pretty far away from the rest of Equestria, but the line is blurred for the Crystal Empire.

Celestia sent Cadance and Shining Armor to rule the Crysal Empire, which makes me think its a satalitte state or part of Equestria, but the title "Crystal Empire" implies its a soverign nation, or at least a city state. Plus Cadance and Shining Armor rule it; if it were part of Equestria it would all belong to Celestia.

But I want to know what other people think. :muffins:

I think the other countries were once colonies of Equestria, then once they became more or less self-sustainable they formed their own governments and seceded with permission, or even encouragement, from Celestia. They would still have very close ties though, to the point where their cities can compete in the Equestria Games the same way as Equestrian cities.  

What @Silver Letter said: the Saddle Arabia ambassadors, the Duke and Duchess of Mare-tonia (even Cadance and Shining to a lesser degree, being that Cadance is herself a princess) are sub-rulers in their own fiefdoms...

But I wouldn't try to explain the government of Equestria: Ponyville has a mayor (who would be democratically elected, I presume) and I don't think a pony would be the leader of the Griffin's homeland (unless they were conquered)... I think semi-independant city states would be the best way to describe the whole of Equestria (similar to ancient Greece, except in that there is a high ruler over them), and I'm not sure about the lands outside of it.

(And there are other lands outside of Equestria, just go and listen to 'Apples To The Core')

Basically what Silver Letter said as well. ;p. I don't think that Celestia or Luna or anyone directly involves themselves in the ruling of places like the Crystal Empire most of the time, but it is technically considered part of Equestria to some extent.

Idk about the Griffions homeland and Saddle Arabia though, I feel like they may be separate more from Equestria, but i'm not sure given the limited knowledge we have on them.

Idk about the Griffions homeland and Saddle Arabia though, I feel like they may be separate more from Equestria, but i'm not sure given the limited knowledge we have on them.

There are other lands clearly beyond Equestria and are not governed or overseen by princess Celestia. There seems to be other pony like creatures but they are not ponies. Whether they have any sort of magic at all is uncertain.

• Brohoof 2

(And there are other lands outside of Equestria, just go and listen to 'Apples To The Core')

Ohmigosh that song was stuck in my head for the longest time... :lol:

"We sing our song 'cross the Pony Nation,

From Equestria and Beyond!"

I guess that means there are apples outside of Equestria. :huh:

I think the Griffins are probably their own kingdom, though its weird that they were at the Equestria Games...

• Brohoof 1

I think the Griffins are probably their own kingdom, though its weird that they were at the Equestria Games..

There might be some Griffins at the Equestria games because even though they were Griffins they were still citizens of various places in Equestria. Sort of like how Fluttershy is obviously a

citizen of Ponyville despite being Pegasus and not an Earth Pony. Chances are she therefore votes for Mayor Mare instead of voting for the mayor of Cloudsdale.  

• Brohoof 1

Crude as it may sound, i think the Crystal Empire is a puppet dominion of Equestria. They seem to share the same laws, have open communication and flow of transport between each other that it's easy to blur the line between the two. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, the "Journal of the Two Sisters" indicates that the Griffin Kingdom is it's own separate kingdom; while at the same the Crystal Empire is seemlingly treated as an indepedant city-state.

At least that is how I am interpreting the empire. I'm fairly certain that that is how the book describes the Griffin Kingdom.

• 2 years later...

I'm guessing Griffonstone is actually a nations state or an enclave within Equestria. Same for where the dragons live. They may also be reservations, Griffons and Dragon's being native to those regions and given autonomy by the crown. The Empire also sounds like a nation state, with Cadence & Shining at the helm.

Or Equestria is not a country, but the name of the continent where all these different races dwell and when other races refer to Equestria as their home, they mean the continent, where ponies mean the country. There maybe a difference between 'The Kingdom Of Equestria', and just 'Equestria.' 

The fact that the Saddle Arabia ponies were treated like honored guests tell me they aren't under Celestia's command. The Crystal Empire is questionable since it had no ruler for over 1000 years, I'm guessing it was more or less just a free state with no center ruler.

Edited by cider float