Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Being a Music Major

fluttergal

Seeing how many people are interested in music here, I wonder if any here wants to pursue a career in music or already are music majors! The best way to do that is to be a music major, of course. xD There are people who became musicians without a college degree but that is...very very very very very very very rare. I seriously mean that.

There are various degrees in music which include:

Bachelor of Music in Performance

Bachelor of Music in Music Theory and/or Music Composition

Bachelor of Music in Music Education (choral/general or instrumental)

Bachelor of Arts in Music (take more liberal arts courses and great for double majors)

Bachelor of Science/arts/music in music technology, audio engineer, or music production

Yeah...the music technology degree is a tough one because there are soooo many names for that! xD Oh,there are also schools that offer degree in arts management, which allows you to basically be a manager. :P I am a music education major doing both choral/general and instrumental. :) I'm studying piano and music composition privately. :)

So yeah, brohoof to all the music majors or wanna-be music majors. :D

So yeah, if you want advice or want to give advice on music careers/degrees, this is the place to talk. ^^

• Brohoof 5

I'm a Music major! I have an Associates in Arts, which I got from majoring in music at a local community college, now I'm in the process of transferring. And when I do that I aspire to major in Instrumental Music Education.

• Brohoof 4

I'm a self-taught violinist but I have been playing trumpet for many, many years. If anything, I would love to be a vocalist!

EDIT: And I don't mean pop-star, cookie cutter. If anything, I would love to sing Baroque or Opera. :wub:

Edited by SkySong

While it would definitely be an interesting degree to get. I would love to do it, but I can't read notes and my experience playing an instrument is far too limited to even attempt such a degree.

Ive been playing Piano sinse I was 6! I also am learning Guitar and Ukelele now :D! I am a member on different choirs in my school, and have been traveling America and singing!

I've always loved the idea of being a music major but I always fear that I'll never make it because my only experience is playing the Cello for four years in school. I'd be way behind anyone in my class because unlike what the college class description says you still need a formidable amount of knowledge even in the "beginners" classes. I haven't played the Cello is so long I forget most of what I've learned. :(

I majored in Music Performance at my college for about 2 years! Some of the greatest times of my life! I had to drop before I graduated though because the school wouldn't let me continue without financial aid, and they cut off mine... So that really blew. <=

I'll maybe go back to college for music sometime in the future, but I've already gained so much knowledge from courses I took and I'm still very deeply involved with music in my community.

My only bit of advice for everyone here is that if you're SERIOUS about studying music, then go for it. If you don't think you can handle the theory or all of the other work involved in getting a music degree, then you should talk to a school counselor about figuring out if it's right for you. There's a lot involved with getting a music degree, including the study of the development of western music, and the history of several eras of music.

So think hard about it before you jump to it everypony! It's a very involved course of study!

What I know I love is music itself. I love to hear music, I love to hear every part of music and it would certainly be beneficial to learn more of the history of music.

Though I'm not sure if I'd be more into playing music, making music or managing others playing music or what-have-you. There's gotta be a way to find out if it's for me without having to waste financial aid money figuring it out. I already did that once and dropped out so I dunno if they'll even let me do financial aid again. I gotta fill out the FAFSA again to see if I can.

What I know I love is music itself. I love to hear music, I love to hear every part of music and it would certainly be beneficial to learn more of the history of music.

Though I'm not sure if I'd be more into playing music, making music or managing others playing music or what-have-you. There's gotta be a way to find out if it's for me without having to waste financial aid money figuring it out. I already did that once and dropped out so I dunno if they'll even let me do financial aid again. I gotta fill out the FAFSA again to see if I can.

You can definitely be a music major and not play an instrument. In fact I knew several music majors who didn't play anything at all. Some played a bit of piano, but that was just to get scales and chords out of the way.

You can study music history, theory, production, and you can even form ensembles. It helps to know an instrument, but certainly there's room for study in the field of music without knowing how to play something.

EDIT: I totally almost forgot! You can also become a music teacher! The world LOVES music teachers! ;)

Edited by Matackable

I'm a music minor, but everyone around me says I play like a music major. I have a 90% on my Grade 10 RCM exam, am looking forward to my Diploma performance exam featuring Franz Liszt, Frederic Chopin, and Ludwig Van Beethoven, and play the occasional ragtime and videogame music.

I heard of doctors and scientists setting up their own ensemble, so I hope to do that later in life :)

I heard of doctors and scientists setting up their own ensemble, so I hope to do that later in life :)

There is actually this orchestra that features doctors performing. That's because musicians are also smart people. ;)

http://www.doctorsorchestra.org/

Anyways, I was actually accepted into a respected music conservatory, but I couldn't go because I couldn't afford to! I'm at a community college instead. It's really a shame that you have to be rich to be a music major most of the time. Hence why people tend to go for state or private schools because they tend to offer financial aid based both on academics and need. Lotta musicians are smart, so they tend to get lucky. ;)

Good news is that i've been accepted into several music schools now and got scholarships, both music and academic based. :) So, there is always hope! :D

You can definitely be a music major and not play an instrument. In fact I knew several music majors who didn't play anything at all. Some played a bit of piano, but that was just to get scales and chords out of the way.

You can study music history, theory, production, and you can even form ensembles. It helps to know an instrument, but certainly there's room for study in the field of music without knowing how to play something.

EDIT: I totally almost forgot! You can also become a music teacher! The world LOVES music teachers! ;)

The thing is I really love playing the Cello and would love to play it again but I would also love to do other things besides that. I wonder if a Cello private tutor would be under financial aid payments too...

The thing is I really love playing the Cello and would love to play it again but I would also love to do other things besides that. I wonder if a Cello private tutor would be under financial aid payments too...

In some cases it is. Is there a program in your school for private lessons? In my school, there was the Advanced Music Performance class and there was a part 1 and 2 to the class. One was 1 credit and the other was 3. It was basically private lessons with the instrument of your choice or preference. You get assigned a teacher who knows the instrument and has been playing it all their life, and they then assign you things to practice and learn.

The sessions at my school were 30minutes for 1 credit and one hour and a half for 3 credits. The lessons were once every week.

I would definitely ask a counselor or the head of your music program about any classes of this nature!

EDIT: DERP. And it's covered under financial aid at my school. Ask about that too!

Edited by Matackable

In some cases it is. Is there a program in your school for private lessons? In my school, there was the Advanced Music Performance class and there was a part 1 and 2 to the class. One was 1 credit and the other was 3. It was basically private lessons with the instrument of your choice or preference. You get assigned a teacher who knows the instrument and has been playing it all their life, and they then assign you things to practice and learn.

The sessions at my school were 30minutes for 1 credit and one hour and a half for 3 credits. The lessons were once every week.

I would definitely ask a counselor or the head of your music program about any classes of this nature!

EDIT: DERP. And it's covered under financial aid at my school. Ask about that too!

That's similar to how our university works. Thing is, my piano teacher is more of a mentor to me. He polished my piano playing and placed it to a new level, helped me with my music history, and even provides some music history of his own. To top it off, I'm his only student and he's the head of the department of music at my university. I feel so special B)

Only sad thing is that some of the other music students have a low opinion of me because of how good I am for a music minor and how I sometimes get special treatment from the music teachers because of it.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention. I have perfect pitch.

Edited by Derpity Derp

That's similar to how our university works. Thing is, my piano teacher is more of a mentor to me. He polished my piano playing and placed it to a new level, helped me with my music history, and even provides some music history of his own. To top it off, I'm his only student and he's the head of the department of music at my university. I feel so special B)

Only sad thing is that some of the other music students have a low opinion of me because of how good I am for a music minor and how I sometimes get special treatment from the music teachers because of it.

Perfect pitch is an amazing gift. ;)

Even some of the biggest and most talented musicians of our day don't have it!

Also, I sense jealousy. I was the best bassist in my school and when I got chosen to do bass for the jazz ensemble over another player, he treated me with low respect throughout the entire semester. :P

I'll bet your used to it by now though Derps!

Perfect pitch is an amazing gift. ;)

Even some of the biggest and most talented musicians of our day don't have it!

Also, I sense jealousy. I was the best bassist in my school and when I got chosen to do bass for the jazz ensemble over another player, he treated me with low respect throughout the entire semester. :P

I'll bet your used to it by now though Derps!

Indeed I am :) I also got that for a bit even in high school for my potential on the violin, being able to learn notes with ease. The only issue was the technique and the execution.

There is actually this orchestra that features doctors performing. That's because musicians are also smart people. ;)

http://www.doctorsorchestra.org/

Anyways, I was actually accepted into a respected music conservatory, but I couldn't go because I couldn't afford to! I'm at a community college instead. It's really a shame that you have to be rich to be a music major most of the time. Hence why people tend to go for state or private schools because they tend to offer financial aid based both on academics and need. Lotta musicians are smart, so they tend to get lucky. ;)

Good news is that i've been accepted into several music schools now and got scholarships, both music and academic based. :) So, there is always hope! :D

Nice! Maybe I'll go there someday if I can!

That's similar to how our university works. Thing is, my piano teacher is more of a mentor to me. He polished my piano playing and placed it to a new level, helped me with my music history, and even provides some music history of his own. To top it off, I'm his only student and he's the head of the department of music at my university. I feel so special B) Only sad thing is that some of the other music students have a low opinion of me because of how good I am for a music minor and how I sometimes get special treatment from the music teachers because of it. EDIT: I also forgot to mention. I have perfect pitch.

Wow, thats almost the same way my guitar tutor treated me. He used to tell me I had one ofd the best ears out of all his students, and he even was nice enough to give me lessons at a cheaper price. He brought my playing to a whole different level, and he also helped to mold my musical mind. I owe him almost everything.

...I'm totally going to start going back to see him when I get this new job. The only reason why I havent been is because I lack something that most people call "money."

BTW you have perfect pitch!? Dang it you're a lucky guy haha. Ive been blessed with a "good ear" at least. Do you listen to much Yngwie Malmsteen? He also has prefect pitch.

I am jealous of those with perfect pitch. xD At least I'm close to it now after 2 years of taking ear training courses. xD You know, if I were those music majors, I'd be jealous too. We worked hard on auditions, took intense music courses, and practiced 4+ hours a day, so they find it unfair that a non-major who doesn't have as high of a standard get special treatment. I'm glad you get an excellent music education though! xD I got special treatment when I took lessons in high school, because I was the only one who actually liked to practice and push myself to play hard music. I sight-read music every single day too.

I've been playing 5 1/2 years now and I'm already performing Chopin Etudes...it comes with 5+ hours of practice. -_-

Wow, thats almost the same way my guitar tutor treated me. He used to tell me I had one ofd the best ears out of all his students, and he even was nice enough to give me lessons at a cheaper price. He brought my playing to a whole different level, and he also helped to mold my musical mind. I owe him almost everything.

...I'm totally going to start going back to see him when I get this new job. The only reason why I havent been is because I lack something that most people call "money."

BTW you have perfect pitch!? Dang it you're a lucky guy haha. Ive been blessed with a "good ear" at least. Do you listen to much Yngwie Malmsteen? He also has prefect pitch.

No I haven't what genre is he?

Well I learned I'm not gonna be able to go to the Community College anyway. I was terminated so I have to pay for my own classes for one quarter to reinstate my eligibility for financial aid. That's at least $700 -__-

So I'm gonna try for a technical college in the next town and see if there's anything there I can do and see if I can financial aid.

Well I learned I'm not gonna be able to go to the Community College anyway. I was terminated so I have to pay for my own classes for one quarter to reinstate my eligibility for financial aid. That's at least $700 -__-

So I'm gonna try for a technical college in the next town and see if there's anything there I can do and see if I can financial aid.

Why does money always have to be in the way of stuff made of dreams?! :n

• Brohoof 1

Why does money always have to be in the way of stuff made of dreams?! :n

It's a sad reality. :( This is why a lotta people from my high school (a school where majority low-income goes too) didn't even bother continuing their education! I mean, I couldn't go to a music conservatory because it was waaay to expensive. Yeah...I'm not gonna fork over 22K per year so I can get a fancy music education. I'm taking up loans federal loans for my community college...but that's because I go out-of county...so I pay doubled the tuition. >.> It's even worse when tuition continues to rise. University seems to be exclusive to either straight A students who get lotsa scholarships or rich kids with 3.0 or above.

Yeah...life is unfair, but what you can do? :( That's why I worked so hard in community college to get my full scholarship to a university.

This feel. I know it. :(

• Brohoof 1

It's a sad reality. :( This is why a lotta people from my high school (a school where majority low-income goes too) didn't even bother continuing their education! I mean, I couldn't go to a music conservatory because it was waaay to expensive. Yeah...I'm not gonna fork over 22K per year so I can get a fancy music education. I'm taking up loans federal loans for my community college...but that's because I go out-of county...so I pay doubled the tuition. >.> It's even worse when tuition continues to rise. University seems to be exclusive to either straight A students who get lotsa scholarships or rich kids with 3.0 or above.

Yeah...life is unfair, but what you can do? :( That's why I worked so hard in community college to get my full scholarship to a university.

I don't know about you, but I learned more and more quickly in a community college than I did in the conservatory. Then I learned WAY a lot on my own when I started composing, considering I could then, finally, study more popular music styles (soundtracks and stuff).

How goes the degree, so far?

One COULD say metal, but it's more like metal/hard rock. Look him up sometime, he plays "Neo-Classical" music. Frickin' amazing.

Yeah! GuitarGuru007 and I are coming out with a new neo-classical album, Cacophony-style! ^_^

Though, this is the first either of us have heard of it... :huh: