Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP season 3 and 4 coming to Japan?

Sakutama

(edited)

Hi everyone,

I live in Japan, and they seem to just repeat season 1 and 2 over and over. But they advertise a game with the equestria girls, and they're also advertising Princess Twilight toys. So I'm a bit confused. Will they dub season 3 and 4 or did they just give up and focus on selling toys and games, even though they're basically spoilers?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Sakutama
  • Brohoof 2

Hi everyone,

I live in Japan, and they seem to just repeat season 1 and 2 over and over. But they advertise a game with the equestria girls, and they're also advertising Princess Twilight toys. So I'm a bit confused. Will they dub season 3 and 4 or did they just give up and focus on selling toys and games, even though they're basically spoilers?

Thanks in advance!

Season three still hasn't been announced by Bushiroad yet (I think that they have the license still but not sure), which is a damn shame because the Japanese dubbed songs are my favorite of the foreign dubs (which Germany close behind since I have a better grasp on the language and can actually pick out words and phrases myself).

I want the songs from MMC in Japanese!

:D

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Season three still hasn't been announced by Bushiroad yet (I think that they have the license still but not sure), which is a damn shame because the Japanese dubbed songs are my favorite of the foreign dubs (which Germany close behind since I have a better grasp on the language and can actually pick out words and phrases myself).

I want the songs from MMC in Japanese!

:D

Me too! Sorry didn't see your post when I wrote my original one. :-) Hoping they do it, it would be a shame to waste such a perfect localization of Pinkie Pie! I honestly forget it's the Japanese dub sometimes. lol And of course the fantastic Japanese versions of the songs. Edited by Sakutama
  • Brohoof 2

ugh season 4 is already being broadcasted over here in the netherlands -_- but the dub sucks soooo much XD I'd rather keep it to english myself

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Damn, and I though South America was way behind in the progress of the show  :blink: , THEY JUST STARTED WITH ONLY FOUR EPISODES OF SEASON 4  :okiedokielokie: . Do the same stuff as I do, watch them over the internet, those episodes should be still around 

• Brohoof 2

Well, that explains why I can't find the Japanese version of the season 3 and 4 and Equestria Girls songs.:o Mystery solved. I once took four semesters of Japanese, but I'm incredibly rusty now. I am, of course, watching the show in English. Still, I made sure to check out the Japanese dubs of some of the songs. The Japanese version of the smile song is on par with the original IMHO. I also checked out the intros to the Japanese version of the show. Come to think of it, I'm fascinated by the notion of people in Japan waiting for a dub of a NA tv show. I never really thought of it going the other way, but I feel for you OP. Zekromic has a point, though. You seem to have a good enough grasp of English, so why not check out the NA version online, then you can enjoy the episodes again in Japanese when they finally air in your region.

• Brohoof 1

Well, that explains why I can't find the Japanese version of the season 3 and 4 and Equestria Girls songs.:o Mystery solved. I once took four semesters of Japanese, but I'm incredibly rusty now. I am, of course, watching the show in English. Still, I made sure to check out the Japanese dubs of some of the songs. The Japanese version of the smile song is on par with the original IMHO. I also checked out the intros to the Japanese version of the show. Come to think of it, I'm fascinated by the notion of people in Japan waiting for a dub of a NA tv show. I never really thought of it going the other way, but I feel for you OP. Zekromic has a point, though. You seem to have a good enough grasp of English, so why not check out the NA version online, then you can enjoy the episodes again in Japanese when they finally air in your region.

Heh...oops! I should have explained I'm actually not Japanese. I am from the US, I just live here. :-P So it's really "better" for me to watch it in Japanese because I'm absolutely awful at learning a language. When I watch the show it just sinks in better, probably because it hits the right parts of my brain that a normal text book shuts off (guilty of hating studying). And I need Japanese to function here, well, you can function with out it actually. I'll call it thrive! Being able to go to the doctor by myself for example, I miss the days when I didn't need to bring my personal translator (aka my husband) but I'll get there step by step. ^^

• Brohoof 1

Heh...oops! I should have explained I'm actually not Japanese. I am from the US, I just live here. :-P So it's really "better" for me to watch it in Japanese because I'm absolutely awful at learning a language. When I watch the show it just sinks in better, probably because it hits the right parts of my brain that a normal text book shuts off (guilty of hating studying). And I need Japanese to function here, well, you can function with out it actually. I'll call it thrive! Being able to go to the doctor by myself for example, I miss the days when I didn't need to bring my personal translator (aka my husband) but I'll get there step by step. ^^

I'm with you here, many language learning books recommend watching shows in the language you want to learn. How do you think I'm so good at English despite being Hispanic? Well, it was not actually by watching shows, it was because of videogames  :lol: . Since in previous generations, games with language setting were as common as shiny pokemons  :lol:, so I was forced to learn. With that, you should buy videogames as an alternative, most of them are text heavy, and voice work in them are much more prominent

• Brohoof 1

Understandable. I'm not much into studying myself, and entertainment is a good way to absorb a language. In that case, I would recommend giving an anime of the appropriate comprehension level a try. Most people shy away when they hear the word anime, but it's a surprisingly great form of storytelling. Manga is also great, because you can take your time reading it. Come to think if it though, most people shy away from the mere mention of an animated cartoon about anthropomorphic ponies, so you're already open minded enough to watch an animated tv show, assuming you don't already watch the occasional anime(and it sounds like you may).
  • Brohoof 1

I'm with you here, many language learning books recommend watching shows in the language you want to learn. How do you think I'm so good at English despite being Hispanic? Well, it was not actually by watching shows, it was because of videogames  :lol: . Since in previous generations, games with language setting were as common as shiny pokemons  :lol:, so I was forced to learn. With that, you should buy videogames as an alternative, most of them are text heavy, and voice work in them are much more prominent

I agree! The only problem with Japanese is the kanji. It's like a roadblock when I am practicing reading. I can read hiragana and katakana pretty good, but as soon as a kanji pops up I'll only be able to figure it out if I can copy and paste it into a dictionary. But while I work on that, I can work on my listening and comprehension skills as well as pick up some great vocabulary from watching MLP dubbed in Japanese. (^-^) And I do have video games in Japanese, and if they're loaded with katakana like many mario games, they do help. But the ones with deeper story lines...well...one word. Kanji. Ugh! >_<" But good for you learning English! Your English is fanatic I must say. ^_^

Understandable. I'm not much into studying myself, and entertainment is a good way to absorb a language. In that case, I would recommend giving an anime of the appropriate comprehension level a try. Most people shy away when they hear the word anime, but it's a surprisingly great form of storytelling. Manga is also great, because you can take your time reading it. Come to think if it though, most people shy away from the mere mention of an animated cartoon about anthropomorphic ponies, so you're already open minded enough to watch an animated tv show, assuming you don't already watch the occasional anime(and it sounds like you may).

Oh geeze, living in the birthplace of anime, it's part of life for me! And I have unlimited options of what to watch! But when I looked into it, I quickly realized that almost all anime in Japan doesn't have English subtitles, or even dub available. I would have to order or watch all my anime from the US or an English speaking country! Ironic isn't it? And a shame because if you go to a DVD rental place they have aisles and aisles dedicated to anime. *sigh* I gave manga a shot once, I got the first manga from one of my favorite anime, Keroro Gunso. But when I realized how....*ahem*....adult it is compared to the anime, I gave up on manga. But I love MLP in Japanese, honestly, I like it a lot better than anime. Anime is wonderful, but it can get a little repeatative after a while for me. This could be because I'm surrounded by it almost daily though. When I watch MLP in Japanese its so refreshing. I've started watching Adventure Time dubbed in Japanese too. Haha. It's a bit more challenging than MLP, but it's so fun checking how to say some of the stuff from the show in Japanese.

• Brohoof 1

Wait.........THE US IS AHEAD OF JAPAN!? O.O

Of course it is. Why wouldn't a NA IP be released in NA first? Don't call the cops till we start getting anime in NA before Japan.

• 1 year later...

It's finally been announced that they're working on the Japanese dubs for "52 more episodes" so I'm guessing all the way to half of season 5.

They have already started the EQ Girls second movie dub.

Edited by Heinz

If they dub season 3 onwards I will totally rematch it. Part of the reason I like mlp is because I watched the Japanese dub first and I did that because some of my favourite Japanese voice actresses were playing the mane 6. After realizing that it only went to the end of season 2 I decided to watch the English and I really liked it too.

I absolutely love Pinkie Pie's Japanese voice (Mimori Suzuko) and her songs too.

I didn't think MLP was doing that well, sales wise in japan, which is a shame :(
I still gotta laugh at the MLP cafe images I've seen from over there though.

Looks like Japan is getting saved from the bad seasons. 

I'll agree for S3, but I actually think S4 is pretty good.

1476450681740341647.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I didn't know that the Japanese dub was this far behind the original.

I did. If they do end up dubbing the later seasons in Japanese though, that would be epic. I have no interest in re-watching full episodes in another language but I do occasionally like listening to international versions of songs and there are some I would love to hear in Japanese. Maybe we'll also get the EQG series in Japanese too. That would be awesome!
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...
(edited)

My guess is that after Season 2, the Japanese government was filled with complaints about anything inappropriate the show contained to them, which is why The Movie also shared the same fate.

Edited by FirePuppy

I don't even know why there was any excuse for this to happen. After all, Japan is the most lenient country when it comes to film classification. Any movie that isn't adult-oriented always gets approved a G rating!

But this time, as an extremely rare exception, they were definitely no mercy to MLP from Season 3 onwards (and The Movie).