Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Friendship is against the rules? D:

I think it's none of the school's concerns whether a kid finds it "difficult breaking up with a best friend".

That's the kids' personal lives, school system should keep their noses out of it.

Edited by Lady Rarity Pony
  • Brohoof 19

That seems rather crazy to me. I think if anything that's going to make kids less happy and cheerful, and will probably result in a lot of rule breaking. Making close friends when you're little can give you an advantage and moral support structure to lean on later in life if you make good choices in friends.

• Brohoof 3

There is some logic in this rule. My mom is a 4th grade teacher, and many of these kids act like idiots in her class. Sure, you need friends, but sometimes, best friends can be bad, considering if you talk then think.

What...? That school is implementing a rule regarding you're not allowed to have best friends? For the sole reason due to the consequence of break up...? Do they even KNOW what being a friend means?

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

That's probably the most idiotic rule i've ever heard. I mean, maybe if they say it's to keep some children from having no friends, by making them play in large groups, but to protect them from breaking up with friends? What where they thinking!

And most important, how the hell do they plan to enforce that rule?

This is another attempt at trying to keep the kids safe from the realities of life. Now I'm waiting for the part where schools close in favor of homeschooling, to add to the convenience of not having to leave the house and staying at home so that resources (the internet) are readily available - while at the same time ruining any chance of social activity among others of the same age and adding to child obesity or something because kids aren't going out after studies and playing like normal children should but instead staying inside the house watching television and rotting their brains with idiotic cartoons and dull, monotonous patterns.

All I can say at this point is... your call.

Edited by StrappingYoungLad

It is kind of ridiculous how much society tries to protect younger generations of children. It's a bit ironic in a way because what they are doing to protect kids now is not going to help them at all in the future, thus putting our future in a more and more uncertain place.

If our schools aren't going to let kids experience the harsh reality that life can have, then how do we expect them to deal with these situations growing up?

It's a bad idea.

• Brohoof 4

Oh yeah, this seems like a really great idea. Let's save those poor children from the HORRORS of friendship. </sarcasm>

This is the most ignorant thing that I have ever heard of in a long time. This is yet another attempt by well-meaning schools to turn kids into a bunch of lemmings and social rejects by "saving" them from normal lives.

Let's get serious. If these kids never learn how to deal with close friends as young children, then they will learn as adults. Either way, they are going to learn. It is a simple case of "pay me now or pay me later". The problem is that the schools would not be the ones paying, but it would be the kids paying the price - with interest.

The problem with paying later is that the costs of a failed friendship are far higher when the failure occurs in adulthood. When you are a child, you have the benefit (hopefully) of parents and family to help you find your way through things. But, when you are an adult, you are not so lucky. When things fall apart in adulthood, it can lead to deep depression and actual career problems.

To become an adult and have never had any best friends.... Wow, I can't even imagine that.... Those kids are going to be have interesting problems when they enter into the real world.

This is another attempt at trying to keep the kids safe from the realities of life. Now I'm waiting for the part where schools close in favor of homeschooling

Dude, I was homeschooled. I had plenty of friends throughout the whole thing. I actually had way more friends in homeschool than some of my friends that went to regular schools had.

Some parents use homeschooling to isolate their kids from reality, and I think that is a serious mistake. However, not all homeschools are like this.

• Brohoof 7

It's stupid rules like this that our dragging us down as a species.

Who has the right to take friendship away from children? If someone were to do that anywhere else they would be classified as cruel, sadistic and unusual so how can an entire school get away with it? Ridiculous.

• Brohoof 1

Dude, I was homeschooled. I had plenty of friends throughout the whole thing. I actually had way more friends in homeschool than some of my friends that went to regular schools had.

Some parents use homeschooling to isolate their kids from reality, and I think that is a serious mistake. However, not all homeschools are like this.

That's not the point. I was taking a jab at what stupid thing the school system/government would do next in order to "protect" the kids from something harmful. I know some people that are homeschooled and I know they aren't weird or unsociable (although some can be a little asinine to a few things). Sorry if I said something that was unintentional.

• Brohoof 2

That's not the point. I was taking a jab at what stupid thing the school system/government would do next in order to "protect" the kids from something harmful. I know some people that are homeschooled and I know they aren't weird or unsociable (although some can be a little asinine to a few things). Sorry if I said something that was unintentional.

Ahh, well that makes sense then. Methinks I overreacted a bit. Yes, I agree with you. :)

My apologies for the misunderstanding. It's just that after reading that article, I was completely ready to rage against the machine. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Nope. I can understand why they are doing it but all in all its only prolonging the problem. When they actually have to break up with a good friend it will just that much harder since they didnt have early experience. Nope,nope,nope.

My apologies for the misunderstanding. It's just that after reading that article, I was completely ready to rage against the machine. :lol:

Believe me, I wanted to rage like a mofo as well. This is until I realized that:

• This is the Great Britian's fault
  • I can't do anything about it
  • We're already screwed
One thing that I do question is the source of the article - coming from the MSN homepage (I think). I haven really trusted online news from stuff like Yahoo and MSN because the validity always seems to be untrue or that the internet just wants to spread lies as if it didn't give a shit - like gossip. Besides, I think you have more of a right to be mad on a situation like this rather than I.

Also, Rage Against The Machine pun. Classy. :)

But...friendship is magic! :o

Yeah no.

• Brohoof 1

Believe me, I wanted to rage like a mofo as well. This is until I realized that:

• This is the Great Britian's fault
  • I can't do anything about it
  • We're already screwed
One thing that I do question is the source of the article - coming from the MSN homepage (I think). I haven really trusted online news from stuff like Yahoo and MSN because the validity always seems to be untrue or that the internet just wants to spread lies as if it didn't give a shit - like gossip. Besides, I think you have more of a right to be mad on a situation like this rather than I.

There is this too: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2116699/No-best-friends-policy-rise-primary-schools-critics-warn-teachers-interfere-childs-play.html

Although how valid this is isn't a for sure either.