Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle ruler or guardian?

chirox the pony

So recently I've been thinking about this and have now decided to ask what exactly is twilight's role? If you'll look at the things she's done since becoming an alicorn you'll notice that she's not much of a ruler and more of a protector, I mean she hasn't done much ruling and all she seems to do is protect other ponies. So I ask you my fellow bronies is Twilight a warrior or a princess?

• Brohoof 2

Well, that is a good point. Unlike other princesses who appear to rule over part of Equestria. Twilight does not rule over anything. So, I think that her and her friends act more as protectors of Equestria considering the Royal Guards are as useful as the Earth Alliance during the Shadow Wars (subtle reference to Babylon 5 :lol: ).

However, I think that now that she has a castle and an official title (Princess of Friendship), I think her role might change, and in Season 5, her role will be to spread the Magic of Friendship throughout Equestria.

• Brohoof 3

Why not both? I see her role as both ruler and protector.

True, in most of her appearances, she's taken the role of protector, but isn't that part of being a ruler in the first place? Ruling a country doesn't mean much if other countries can just take over or invade whenever they feel like it. You'd soon be disposed, and even if you weren't, your subjects would soon complain if you faced daily threats from surrounding countries. 

Is that really unique to Twilight, even? For example, Celestia went up against Chrysalis out of a desire to protect her subjects from the Changeling evasion, she says it herself. She was acting as protector rather than ruler in that case. Cadance and Shining Armor both ruled over and protected the Crystal Empire from Sombra.

I don't think it's as simple as "either / or", both roles are a necessity.

• Brohoof 3

Pretty spot on. It's become clear that our definition of princess is different from the one in the one in this universe.

Edited by CITRUS KING46

Guardian and guide. I am starting to think of her as more of a teacher to those in Equestria who will need her counsel, which is where I believe that Season 5 will be heading. In a way both Luna and Celestia have primarily been teachers themselves.

There have in the past been some royalty that have been a bit of both, some cultures have a tradition of the "warrior king". Twilights seems to lean more toward protector but we haven't seen really the finer details of her duties yet for the most part, the season 4 finale confirmed what I suspected and that she will the princess of "friendship" but what kind of duties does that entail? There are some hints of what it might entail and we have a few ideas of what some of her duties will be but season 5 will probably tell us more.

I don't think it's as simple as either/or, both roles are necessity.

Well said.

And let's not forget Luna who also protects ponies. In For Whom the Sweetie Belle Tolls Luna not only protected Sweetie Belle from making a very bad decision but assuming those views on Rarity's future were true also protected her from becoming a weird old hermit...ya, that's what I'm going with.

Twilight never had it in her to "rule" per se. The few times we've seen her in a leadership position it has largely been through her organizational skills, and even then, heavily in consultation with those she's organizing. Were she to take on anything bigger, she'd almost certainly be more the protector type than the ruling by decree type.

• Brohoof 1

I agree that both roles are needed for the title of a princess. In the equestria world, all the princesses have contributed to protecting the land for danger. Back in the history of equestria princesses Celestia and Luna have defeated or dealt with just about every villain that the main 6 (+ spike) faced in the season openers and finales. Cadence and shining armor worked together to take care of most of the work with the changelings. Although twilight was not a princess for a majority of the series, up until she was deemed princess, she could be called a protector.

• Brohoof 1

The season 4 finale really gave us some sturdy promises to Twilight's growing role as a princess. Of course, she saves Equestria... AGAIN, but the circumstances surrounding this speak volumes. She in entrusted with the power off all 3 of the other princesses to keep safe. Maybe I am looking too far into this, but it's pretty obvious that Tirek wasn't just going to give up trying to take over equestria, just because the Cadance, Luna, and Celestia didn't have any powers. Celestia always seems to know what's up. I wonder if she knew this, and that since Twilight's special talent is Magic itself, that only she could combine the powers of all 4 combine alicorns (herself included) and use them effectively against Tirek. Then Twilight gets her own castle that resembles the Tree of Harmony. Maybe she will come to be the Ruler of Magic. In my opinion, this could make her more powerful than even Celestia herself.

That's my half-formed potential head-canon.

I'd call her a "warrior princess" (Hey! That's a good title!) So far she hasn't engaged in politics or such, but her actions as a princess have still been beneficial for Equestria.

And now I have unhealthy visuals of Twilight in a leather and brass gym slip.

• Brohoof 1

As others have said the princessss both lead and protect depending upon what is needed. Honestly it's never been made clear how Equestria is governed and beyond what we see it's not clear how the princesses govern. My head canon is that every town, or city, has a Mayor but I've not seen any sign of a legislator or judicial branch.

Personally protecting is part of ruling unless you have an army at your disposal.

Season four Twilight is more of a protector than a ruler simply because she does not have anything to rule. She had no kingdom until the season four finale. I hope we see what she might do as a ruler in season five, but from what we have seen of four, I'd say Twilight is most definitely more a protector than ruler.

Well, when it comes to ruling, I think the "Journal of the Two Sisters" kinda hints that the princesses aren't entirely true rulers. In the end, they're basically protectors of the realm.

Going by what the journal said, Celestia & Luna never intended to 'rule' their subjects; just protect them. I believe the same could be applied to Twilight.

The only exception would be Cadence as she DOES rule the Crystal Empire; which isn't much different from Mayor Mare's role in Ponyville.

• Brohoof 1

Well, when it comes to ruling, I think the "Journal of the Two Sisters" kinda hints that the princesses aren't entirely true rulers. In the end, they're basically protectors of the realm.

Going by what the journal said, Celestia & Luna never intended to 'rule' their subjects; just protect them. I believe the same could be applied to Twilight.

The only exception would be Cadence as she DOES rule the Crystal Empire; which isn't much different from Mayor Mare's role in Ponyville.

you took the words right out my mouth. I was also going to reference the Journal and how Celestia and Luna made it cleat that they wanted others to see them as protectors, not rulers, and i think the same can be said for Twilight.

• Brohoof 1

She isn't a ruler, that would be Celestia, Luna and maybe Cadance.

She's definitely a guardian because she fights the bad guys, like Tirek in the season 4 finale.

• Brohoof 1

When was the last time Twilight really ordered a bunch of ponies to do stuff instead of doing it herself along with her friends? In "Princess Twilight Sparkle" she got into the first proper ruling scenario, when both Celestia and Luna were gone, and she basically showed the guards to do their thing while she went on yet another adventure. 

A good example of "ruling" was in "Winter Wrap Up", when it turns out she's good at organizing or in "Trade Ya!", where she was a judge for a short moment. 

She solves things herself. She's walking magic problem solver. A good guardian and slowly but surely a good teacher as well.

For Twilight to rule we need to see her disappear, let other ponies get the spotlight. Until then, everything's at her hooves.

And it's not going to change soon, if at all.