Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think one day Hasbro will allow fanmade full shows and movies?

Plonkett

Do you think someday Hasbro will allow people to make professionally made fan series with whole episodes and full length animations, as long as they get express permission from Hasbro?

If you get permission from Hasbro you're in the clear, that's it. It's getting the permission that can be tricky. I'm not sure what their line is for what they'll approve and what they'll deny. They approved Double Rainboom but that might have been due to it being made in a college project. The educational aspect probably was a shoe-in for them. It's grey area, and we don't have enough examples of what they have and haven't denied because...not many people in the fandom actually bother to try getting their permission ahead of time =P

Hahaha! That's funny...oh wait, you're being serious about this? Son, let me tell you a little known fact about Hasbro: They're a company.

All they care about is making money. And as long as whatever you creates makes revenue for them, They won't listen to a single word you say.

Unless you're a famous celebrity or are filthy rich, don't expect them to be approving anything anytime soon, regardless of how much originality and child friendly media it has in it.

• Brohoof 2

Though Hasbro is far more lenient than most companies they still have to meet a certain legal bare minimum to keep their trademark and getting the permission seems to be more difficult than most people are capable of achieving so until copyright and patent laws change dramatically than probably not at least not in most cases.

I hope people here realize when it comes to legal stuff you deal with Hasbro's Legal Team not the actual company. The actual company usually doesn't get a lot of say as to what their legal team does. Hasbro the company itself is usually okay with simple animations. They are actually working something out with Jan animations after their legal team C&Ded them. However entire movies? Their legal team would shut that down immediately and I'm pretty sure the actual company would not like that either unless they get some form of money from it or you get a license from them. 

Hasbro will barely let you make a 2 frame animation of Applejack, much less fan made series. They remove simple lyric videos. Hasbro Has no bro. Seriously.

"has" is a company and they have been known to remove content with just non/altered lyrics or original music videos for songs.

"has" is a company and they have been known to remove content with just non/altered lyrics or original music videos for songs.

That's Youtube's stupid Content ID bro. I'm pretty sure their legal team only likes to focus on the big stuff. 

That's Youtube's stupid Content ID bro. I'm pretty sure their legal team only likes to focus on the big stuff. 

Well lots of pony stuff does vanish big and small, but yeah, your porbably right. Although hasbro has shut down/removed channels and videos before.

Their legal team would shut that down immediately and I'm pretty sure the actual company would not like that either unless they get some form of money from it or you get a license from them. 

Then I guess the best way for people to be able to make them would be having to get that license. Who knows, those who do could possibly make things such as a spinoff show about Vinyl and Octavia (with Nowacking and Eliemonty doing the voices) and an adaptation of the MLP Project comic.

You could do it now if you get permission. They are not likely to give permission.

They may turn a blind eye to fans doing it without permission one day, but that day will be far after FiM has ended and they're into the next two or three generations of MLP. If you try before about ten years from now, expect a letter...

A lot of what has been hit by Hasbro's legal department have been purely fan works: Not a cent to be made on them and created solely for the purpose of other fans enjoying them. Hasbro, however, legally has to show it has defended its trademark in these issues or it risks losing the trademark and the legal and business protections that go with it. Given the huge success that Gen 4 has become, they're not about to do that. I don't think Hasbro, or any other creative business, would ever want to get into a legal conflict with its own fans, the people who make them what they are, but with that stipulation of trademark law being what it is, they're between a rock and a hard place and protecting the business comes first and foremost, or there is no business.

So, as I said, you're unlikely to get permission, ever, and the only chance you have at getting away with it without permission is to wait until well after Hasbro has moved on with the franchise.

(edited)

Maybe Hasbro could allow an MLP anime from Japan to be made, could be made by the people who did the animation for Sonic X. Would be the second show made by Lauren Faust (Ok, I know she didn't TECHNICALLY create the show) to get an anime adaptation, after Powerpuff Girls.

Edited by vgmaster9

i don't think they would ever do that. i know Hasbro wants to make money but if some fan did something and it made mlp fim is magic look bad or in another light they  would never do it.

Nope, they still have to flex their nuts and show who is boss. With that being said this whole legal issue really wont stop a lot of people from making fan works.

Unfortunately. The Public Domain expires in 2093. And that is if hasbro do not want to renew it. It could end earlier if hasbro are bored of the franchise.

Edited by 41Hornet

It really depends on how some of these fans go about their lives. If a fan wanted to become an animator and goes to art colleges and stuff like that, chances are, they're more likely to get hired in the animation team with any of the animation services like Titmouse Studios, Cartoon Network Studios, or even Hasbro Studios. I think there are already fanmade full shows and movies on MLP already. Is just that if a fan wanted to do something to support the show's animation, he/she must make an effort to work in Hasbro to do that. 

Yes. They basically already do that. There have been at least one fan-animation done with the express permission of Hasbro. Double Rainboom wasn't... that great from my perspective, Hasbro did explicitly give permission. Jan of JanAnimations is apparently in the midst of working out a deal with Hasbro right now.

Getting permission is difficult, but not impossible. Mind you, it's a lot more difficult if you start doing something, and publicizing said thing, *before* getting permission. Once Hasbro's legal vendor-company tags you, it's a lot more work to get Hasbro to think favorably about working with you. Afterall, you started out with legally 'bad behaviour', why should they trust you now?

Not necessarily.

One outcome is they recruit bronies to make MLP shows/movies/games/whatever for them, and well, Hasbro technically end up owning these fanmade stuff.

Edited by Solid Scorpion