Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Shining Armour

RainbowTashie

Okay, So it wasn't until the canterlot wedding we even knew Twilight had a brother. Do you think they planned his character all along or just threw him in last minute because it made the plot make sense, I know she quotes she had forgotten how much she missed him but I don't remember seeing him as Twily passes her gifted unicorn test.

He probably was sent to train for the royal guard being a young stallion. I guess the writers found a gap where they could fit him in, and just went for it.

Characters like Shining Armor don't really do much for me. They get little screen time and tend to exist for deus ex machina reasons.

On a side note: Shining Armor's name potentially differs in spelling thanks to the fact that non-American dialects spell words like "armor" and "color" with a u in there but since it's a name which we wouldn't typically change based on language or dialect would there potentially be a legit spelling that's not interchangeable even if MLP characters use mundane words in their names?

I'm probably thinking about it harder than the MLP creators ever did though. :P

• Brohoof 1

Nah I think that he was thought out, but not as much as he should have been. He's not really a fleshed out character. Maybe they could do an episode where Shiny and Twilight have a bonding moment.

Now there's a thought: a brother-sister episode; providing great identifiable sibling moments and brining families in real life ever so closer. That's great potential there for a show like MLP.

• Brohoof 1

Nah I think that he was thought out, but not as much as he should have been. He's not really a fleshed out character. Maybe they could do an episode where Shiny and Twilight have a bonding moment.

But when he was first introduced we got several years worth of bonding in two minutes. That's all the development we'll ever need, right? Right!?

:lol:

• Brohoof 1

But under this logic AJ's and Fluttershy's parents could just rock up when a plot gives them an opening :S we didn't know about Shining but we didn't think oh Twily doesn't have a brother he must've died. It's just that parent's have a lot more significance IRL or otherwise so we automatically question it.

Characters like Shining Armor don't really do much for me. They get little screen time and tend to exist for deus ex machina reasons.

On a side note: Shining Armor's name potentially differs in spelling thanks to the fact that non-American dialects spell games like "armor" and "color" with a u in there but since it's a name which we wouldn't typically change based on language or dialect would there potentially be a legit spelling that's not interchangeable even if MLP characters use mundane words in their names?

I'm probably thinking about it harder than the MLP creators ever did though. :P

ha sorry if i spelt his name wrong that's how I spell it :P stupid English/American spellings why can't it all be the same :P

They did a Twily and Cadance hanging out episode (destroyed or improved by Discord) but still why she no hang with her big bro?

But when he was first introduced we got several years worth of bonding in two minutes. That's all the development we'll ever need, right? Right!?

:lol:

Yeah i guess but it was a cheap way to give them a backstory together :P

Naw, I wasn't criticizing you@. I was just making an observation about the differences between the dialects and whether that would matter with MLP names because of the weird naming conventions in the series.

I think Shining could be given a deeper side in a EPs of just him

and maybe Twilight,  like one of those flash back type writers like

to use.   Or show him and princess cadance in a ep of their own

and dealing with some kind of event!

Since he shows up in season three I'm going to guess he wasn't planned from the start. I also don't think anything past season two was planned from the start because going into this, no one at DHX would have known if the show was going to do well. Generally when you pitch a show, you have your entire first season arc planned with at least the pilot episode written and the others outlined in-depth, and you have your season two arc planned out but less in-depth. If the show is picked up for season 1, you finish writing season 2 and you start thinking about a potential third season. If season 2 is picked up, you write season 3 while season 2 is being produced. So even if Faust had dreamed Shining Armour up when she was creating the main characters, she probably put him on the back burner for the first little while because she already had enough material to work with.

As I write this, I realize that's just how it would work for a normal tv show. I forgot that this is a show meant to sell toys. So what probably actually happened is Hasbro said "We want to sell a pony wedding playset next year, make it happen in the show", a designer drew sketches of Cadence and Shining Armour, and the writers found a way to work them into the show.

(PS, A Canterlot Wedding is one of my favourite episodes because of this. I love how the writers took something as potentially boring and cutesy as a Pony Princess Wedding, and turned it into such an action packed adventure with lots of mounting tension and plenty of badass moments.)

Well, I can say that I like Shining Armor, but I can't say MUCH beyond that as he hasn't had that much time for development on the show. He's shown to be a generally likable brother to Twilight, and looks to be a generally nice character all around. He's not that interesting, but the same could be said for most males in the show.

To be fair though he has had a little more development in the comics; pending on if you count them I guess. :P

Looking at the Shining Armor and Cadence high school arc, we need a nice double-perspective on their background, and we see Shining Armor actually started as a bit of a nerd who fell for the hot pink pony known as Cadence.

Along with that we have the Friends Forever issue with Twilight and Shining, and while it's not the strongest case of character development, it still has the two of them actually spending time together to solve a mystery of sorts, and we even get glimpses of their childhood.

So yeah, he is developed somewhat; just not on the show. :)

I really like him! I think they planned to introduce him when they started to make the season 2.

I don't understand why some people think he was badly introduced.

He's one of my favourite male characters because I find him to be actually interesting. Unlike popular fave male characters such as Big Mac and Braeburn.

The fact that Twilight was this major loner before season 1 and then all of a sudden at the end of season 2 she mentions her "big brother best friend forever" seems a bit jarring which strongly indicates that Shining Armor was probably not planned from the start. I am not saying Twilight couldn't still be a loner and just be close to her brother but still. Introductions aside Shining Armor is an alright character, I often jokingly call him "lucky bastard" because he is married to Cadence. There is some degree of potential with his character including his relationship with Twilight and how he likely had to be away from his family due to his duties as a guard and later captain of the guards. But if you ask me I think he has quite a bit of competition from Big Mac for the title of "big brother best friend forever."