Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The sun may kill us all in less than a week

gamecubeguy214

I've recently heard a rumor about NASA ans the sun. It has a big solar filament, the biggest recorded solar filament and the second biggest thing in the solar system, only the sun itself being bigger. Solar filaments cause solar flares, just like sunspots, but the solar filament will cause a huge one, and maybe it'll point to Earth and wipe us all out. :( Farewell, at least a possible farewell. Be prepared to die a very painful death, and prepare for blindness too, it's extremely bright and hot.

I've recently heard a rumor about NASA ans the sun. It has a big solar filament, the biggest recorded solar filament and the second biggest thing in the solar system, only the sun itself being bigger. Solar filaments cause solar flares, just like sunspots, but the solar filament will cause a huge one, and maybe it'll point to Earth and wipe us all out. :( Farewell, at least a possible farewell. Be prepared to die a very painful death, and prepare for blindness too, it's extremely bright and hot.

put down the conspiracy theories. the ozone layer is a thing you know, right?

• Brohoof 2

That's cool.

I doubt it. But even if it did happen, I wouldn't really care because considering the strength of solar flares, we'd all disintegrate instantaneously. 

• Brohoof 1

I've seen multiple news stories about it, mostly about how it looks kinda like a frowny face on the sun. Anyway, nothing about impending flare or CME danger, so we should be good.

Also, the ozone layer mostly just protects us from UV rays, not flares and CMEs. Those get deflected by our magnetic field, though a strong enough one could get through it. And while one could theoretically incinerate us all, the sun is far too small to have an event that big. What's could happen (though still extremely unlikely) is it wiping out all our electronics and we all get fucked over that way.

• Brohoof 3

Evilshy is correct. The ozone layer only protects against solar radiation, the Earth's magnetic field is what protects against solar flares. The sun is also not big enough to wipe out everyone on the planet. At the most, electrical lines could be taken down, but I doubt anything much will come out of this. I would not worry about this.

• Brohoof 3

Oh you mean that thing that the sun has been doing to the Earth since before the primordial ooze first had proteins swimming in it?

Thanks for the heads up but until the moment the Earth stands still, I'll plan for it to continue spinning.

• Brohoof 7

Please tell me you're trolling. Seriously, you never heard about an ozone layer?

The ozone layer doesn't protect from solar flares, and plus it might be strong enough to break through it and wipe us out. And I'm not trolling, I saw on the NASA site.

This thread is now hot, very fitting.

• Brohoof 1

I'm going to eat a bunch of junk food and gain a bunch of weight. If the world ends, it will have been worth it. If not, I'll sue NASA. It's a win win for me!

Seriously, if in the unlikely event it were to happen, there ain't nothing we can do about it at this point.

• Brohoof 2

The ozone layer doesn't protect from solar flares, and plus it might be strong enough to break through it and wipe us out. And I'm not trolling, I saw on the NASA site.

dude, the sun can cause damage, but it wont be enough to destroy earth. i recommend studying before screaming about the world ending, like in 2012 for example. you wont die from a little burning ball that keeps us alive. :T

• Brohoof 1

dude, the sun can cause damage, but it wont be enough to destroy earth. i recommend studying before screaming about the world ending, like in 2012 for example. you wont die from a little burning ball that keeps us alive. :T

The Sun will eventually expand engulfing Earth, but that won't happen for a few billion years soooo...yeah, we'll be long gone by then.

Edited by Sriracha
  • Brohoof 1

The Sun will eventually expand engulfing Earth, but that won't for a few billion yews soooo...yeah, we'll be long gone by then.

gone before we can warn that generation

this generation, they dont know...

This thread is now hot, very fitting.

Do you always listen to what the system tells you?

The NASA also says that they landed on the moon, which was just something they said to give the guys in the soviet union the middle finger and to give the people of america something to be proud of.

Besides, if it actually happens, so what? It's not like we can do anything about it.

[Citation needed]

Also, even in the off chance that would happen, we'd probably be incinerated and wouldn't be set ablaze and die a painful death.[Citation needed] 

So at least there's comfort in that.

The NASA also says that they landed on the moon, which was just something they said to give the guys in the soviet union the middle finger and to give the people of america something to be proud of.

They landed on the moon.

I think the biggest argument against the "it was staged" conspiracy theory was that not once did the Soviet Union ever question the validity of the moon landing. There were 400,000 people who worked on the moon landing — some of them were Soviet spies — do you really think the Russians wouldn't have known if it were being staged?

Or maybe the Russians knew that it was staged along, and thought they'd pass up the opportunity to humiliate the enemy?

Edited by VitalTwilightSparkle
  • Brohoof 4