Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The secret to dividing by 0!

S=k.logW

It's meaningless. g is divergent. Any further analysis on it is meaningless. 

Have you been studying Hebrew poetry and Ecclesiastes?

To me, that would be like saying you can get i from sqrt(-1), yet you can't get -1 from i2. Even if 'g' remains a constant, you should still be able to use multiplication by zero to turn it into a nonzero real number.

No, because that would result in a contradiction. Just like i and exponents have special rules, g must have to have special rules.

(edited)

No, because that would result in a contradiction. Just like i and exponents have special rules, g must have to have special rules.

How I see it, there needs to be a way to remove that contradiction without getting rid of the relationship between multiplication and division; because without it, these new numbers would be nothing more than placeholders with no real usefulness to them.

EDIT: This is just off the top of my head, but maybe leaving a 'hole' where 0/0 should be on this new line, thus leaving 0/0 undefined and not equal to 0 would fix the problem.

Edited by Sigma

This is just off the top of my head, but maybe leaving a 'hole' where 0/0 should be on this new line, thus leaving 0/0 undefined and not equal to 0 would fix the problem.

I thought that WAS the problem, that it was undefined. Again, you can't divide by 0. This has been proven to have no limit. There is no point in trying to make rules for it.  

I have a crazy idea when you divide by 0 nothing happens it both explodes and implodes through out all of space and time to where it first begin, or it can just be you cant divide something by nothing because you're not actually doing any thing.

(edited)

I thought that WAS the problem, that it was undefined. Again, you can't divide by 0. This has been proven to have no limit. There is no point in trying to make rules for it.  

The problem is that x/0 for all values of x are undefined. I'm wondering if we'll be able to define everything except x=0. Also, although there's no limit, I don't think all hope is lost. There does exist forms of mathematics where division by zero is possible.

Edited by Sigma

• 2 weeks later...

My "problem" with division by zero being false is that I hate "undefined" numbers. How can you have a solid number system if the division operation is not defined for a certain set of numbers? Also, it seems like new advances would be made in quantum physics if division by zero was actually a number system - then we might be able to simplify things a bit.

In essence, I can't fanthom having undefined numbers. Somehow, division by zero must work out, even if it goes out of the known realm of mathematics.

I just revived a dead thread. Is that some sort of crime?

Edit: Just looked at wheel theory. It's quite interesting.

Edited by Knight Hadron

12/0=x, 12=0*x, 0=12, is what you say. But, using g: 12/0=12*(1/0)=12g=x, and x has g in it. g is a new type of number, so your saying that "no number satifies x" is false, at least in my construction, because I made a new number to solve this paradox.

The problem here is that your new number needs to satisfy all the normal rules of arithmetic and algebra, something that i = (-1)^0.5 clearly does but because of the properties of zero your definition will quickly break down.  Watch what happens when I apply associative multiplication to your definition.

Define g such that 0*g = 12

Then 2*(0*g) = 2*12 = 24

Or 24 = 2*(0*g) = (2*0)*g = 0*g = 12

Therefore 12 = 24

This is very bad.  You need a definition that is also consistent with the rules of algebra and arithmetic, as such an object does not exist.

Edited by Twilight Dirac
  • Brohoof 1

My "problem" with division by zero being false is that I hate "undefined" numbers.

I don't think it is undefined. Rather, the limit does not exist. It is not a matter of defining it.

I only briefly looked at wheels, I've never heard of that before. I don't know if I will have the time to look into it. That might be a better thing to research, but this g=1/0 nonsense won't fly.