Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Subtle lessons from "The Cutie Map"

guest243535531ty43

(edited)

Perhaps there are other meanings/messages behind "The Cutie Map" beyond the more obvious ones like the importance of individuality in friendship, free choice, and the 1984-ish themes and motifs dealing with anti-authoritarianism.

I think there's an important lesson about not forcing your own opinions and beliefs on others (whether it's MLP, religious or spiritual traditions, your philosophy, political beliefs, moral system, belief in rationality, love of learning and reading, etc.).  Starlight Glimmer pushed her ideology on others and though there may have been a kernel of truth to her ideas, the ponies ultimately rejected it because of her hypocrisy and seemed to have stayed bound to it out of fear and uncertainty about life with a cutie mark. So as we try to better ourselves or find some truth in the world, the episode gives a good lesson is that it's important that we do not fall to the same hypocrisy.  

A better way to spread your ideas and make it more acceptable is by living it like the Mane 6 did, who all showed Sugar Belle that friendship with differences and disagreement can work and actually brings more to the table, than just by saying it without practicing like Starlight Glimmer. Live your “truth” and in your way and if someone finds it interesting, talk to them about it and then let them make the choice of accepting it or not, whether it's watching MLP or it's a moral philosophy you have.  

Also I got from the episode that it’s important to be accepting of other people’s ideas and beliefs too, not only just tolerating it but going to extent of listening about what it’s all about like how the Mane 6 did with Starlight’s philosophy—especially Fluttershy. It really showed how open-minded she is, which fits perfectly into her characterization considering how she treated Discord compared to the others of the Mane 6. They may have not followed it ultimately but they, and once again Fluttershy moreso, were willing to at least listen to it because of interest and their broad-mindedness.

If Starlight wasn’t so authoritarian, they may have begun to see whatever benefits there are from living in that way while either following it or not. We would've been able to see Starlight's counterargument as to why this society is better (I believe she is sincere about it all but went about it in the wrong way with her coercive means and her conceit) than how Equestria is run right now.

Just some thoughts. Did you find any other lessons from the two-parter? Thoughts on my opinion?  :adorkable:

Edited by estoc
  • Brohoof 5

Just don't force your beliefs on others. Just because it's good in your own sense of reality doesn't mean it makes sense in the grander scheme of things.

In others words; what estoc said. ^^

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

A lot of the stuff said is true. Forcing one's belief system upon others is a major driver of wars and repression in the world and is, according to Cicero, one of the "six mistakes mankind keeps making century after century".

I think the biggest message is not only to tolerate differing opinions and viewpoints, but also in the fact that keeping people from their true talents, interests, and identities is dangerous. After all, the world does not thrive on all people having the same skill set. This is a lesson more aimed at people who aspire to be leaders or have some sort of influence over others. I personally can relate this to the school system, which seems increasingly more focused on a generalized core academic curriculum that all kinds of vocational and training programs aiming at different skill sets are being stripped out. In short, to paraphrase education expert Sir Ken Robinson, taking people who are smart and good at things and making them believe they aren't. In essence, an extension of the moral of "Testing Testing 123" that not everypony can learn the same way, it is shown in "The Cutie Map" that not everypony can live the same way.

From a meta perspective, as a prospective writer, "The Cutie Map" proves that having fleeting Orwellian/dystopian and historical references is a very instant and effective way to supercharge the intellectual appeal of your work (kidding, of course, the story still has to use them effectively ^_^ ). A couple of things I think writers and analysts could take notice about are that this episode proves the fact that a villain with a valid and relatable motivation and one who uses psychological weaponry is very, very effective for a story's intellectual appeal given the sheer amount of things that can be talked about with Starlight Glimmer alone, and that introducing the show's young audience to such adult themes should be justified given that they will be more engaged in such discussion later on in life because of the fact that My Little Pony referenced those themes and introduced them at such an age whether consciously or not.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 3

I learned that you should never wander into a village in the middle of nowhere when prompted by the magical glowing tattoo on your butt

• Brohoof 2

I learned that with patience, good things will come. 

Oh... you mean the actual episode. I learned that anyone who hates cutie marks is evil, cutie marks are important to ponies, Cutie Marks actually dictate your skills, there are eight magical artifacts, Fluttershy is part spider, Ponies can paint on fake cutie marks (CMC anyone?) and cutie marks are aware of their owners and would travel to their owner when freed. Also, they are painful to remove. Oh! I also learned that Earth Ponies aren't the only bakers (unless Sugar Belle is actually part Earth Pony) Applejack's special talent is countryisms and bucking while Rarity's is knowing if something is beautiful or not.  (Joking about that part.)

(edited)

I learned that I'd rather just watch a show that revolves around colorful ponies than analyze it.  Game of Thrones doesn't get analyzed this much.

I just feel that any form of art can breed different interpretations from which different effects emerge and impact the observer. I see MLP in this light as well, but I guess my love for it can lead me to take it too seriously at times. :lol: Its messages though have always had a positive impact for me.

But I respect your opinion and recognize it has some merit even though it's contrary to mine. ;) 

Edited by estoc

I learned that the conversion cottage has a REALLY strong door. Somepony kept the special talent as a contractor! I also learned that mason jars are magic proof, but not shatterproof. This might sound like a joke post, but think about it. If the mason jars had some magic sealing property, shouldn't they also be unbreakable? That seems like a design flaw. The same with the cottage. If nopony had any special talents, how was it build to such exacting standards?

If nopony had any special talents, how was it build to such exacting standards?

I don't think Starlight Glimmer and her followers established the village. I think the village was there, and she took it over, and further buildings were added. The conversion cottage may have been one of the pre-existing structures.

• Brohoof 1

There are two questions I was wondering about too:

1. How did people hear about Starlight's town and her vision? Considering she stated that no one would leave after coming to her town, how did a good number of ponies find it? I have no idea how to answer that one.

2. Why would someone join Starlight's town in the first place? I don't think she would have been as daunting or coercive as she was with the Mane 6 because with the Mane 6, one was a princess whose political clout would give credence to her ideology and because she didn't have the "horse"-power (it's a pun... :lol:) to physically and psychologically intimidate visitors of her town to join. I have two possible reasons:

a. They could not make friends wherever they lived and didn't like the social climate of their own place (Manehatten would be a prime example based on what we've seen). Hearing of a village where everyone is happy and very friendly would sound spectacular to them.

b. They hated their cutie mark. Most likely because their cutie mark was unwanted by the community around them and wasn't considered valuable. As an example, perhaps for Sugar Belle, there was already a better baker in town so her business might have died and people might have not socialized with her.

Going along with this, "The Cutie Map" shows that for those of us who have talents that are not appreciated in the society we live in, they can still be valued by others as seen by the end of the episode, like @@Wind Chaser said. So maybe, someone out there will find you useful and hiding your abilities to fit in society will only lead to your own unhappiness and dissatisfaction. Your talents do have value and there will be people who will appreciate them even if they might be hard to find. Of course, with the internet, the difficulty of finding those types of people is a lot lower. :)

• Brohoof 2