Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Five years in, and missed episode opportunities?

ManaMinori

(edited)

MLP:FIM has been going strong for quite some time now, much to the surprise of many when this ball first started rolling. MLP has come a long way, but have there been missed opportunities in episodes that could've been done, but weren't? I think so. Many chances, I think, to pair certain ponies together in slice-of-life or adventure episodes haven't really been taken advantage of. Take Rainbow dash and Pinkie. Last time those two were paired in an episode together was around 4 years ago in “Gilda the Brush off”, since the airing of “The Treasure of Griffinstone”. How many episodes with Pinkie and Rarity doing something together? Or Pinkie and Spike? Or Twilight and Shining Armor? Or a Twilight Family reunion episode (with Shining Armor, Cadance, Twilight Velvet, and Night Light)? Or Just Twi and her parents? Or a Celestial sister episode with Luna and Celestia? Spike and the CMC? Scootaloo and Rarity? Apple Bloom and Big Mac? Rainbow Dash & Granny Smith? Zecora and Trixie? Sunset Shimmer re-introduction in Equestria? Do you think DHX will ever give episodes to these pair-offs?

There's still a few more seasons of MLP to go, but as for NOW, what missed opportunities/ possibilities, so far, do you feel MLP hasn't yet provided, or returned to enough for your liking? Certain character-focused episodes? Certain missed plot elements?

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 4

It's been 5 seasons and tons of comics, yet we still have yet to get a Rainbow Dash and Rarity episode, despite having tons of story potential.

Also we still have yet to get a Celestia episode too

• Brohoof 9

When are we ever going to get anything involving an adult pony with a blank flank? Mr Greenhooves doesn't count as it was never addressed.

I've been wanting an episode around adult blank flanks, too, actually.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Major villains have generally been the same about power and domination. Most of them beaten by magical power.

Needs more diversity in villain motives besides power and domination over others.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 2

It's been 5 seasons and tons of comics, yet we still have yet to get a Rainbow Dash and Rarity episode, despite having tons of story potential.

Yes, many characters need more attention.

And there are still plenty of episodes to do about the mane 6 (and the CMC)'s families.

The one potential episode that I simply cannot believe no one bothered to make is an episode that would have focused on Spike taking care of Peewee and ultimately sending him back to his family. 

The setup was perfect. For the first time in his life, Spike would have been given a responsibility greater than what he has ever known before. Not only does he learn what it means to care for a pet, he learns about just how strong the bonds of family are. But because of this, Twilight eventually recommends to Spike that he return Peewee to his family. At first, Spike blatantly refuses, drawing off of the lesson he learned in Dragon Quest that Peewee does not need to be with other Phoenixes to feel where he belongs. But Twilight informs him that he isn't considering the perspective of Peewee's family, stating that his absence likely devastated them, while also adding that if someone came and took Spike away from her, she would devastated as well. So with that  thought in mind, Spike finally agrees, and the episode ends with him tearfully returning Peewee where he belongs. This would have been a spectacular episode full of awesome development for Spike (which, Lord knows, is something he needs) as well as intense feels. 

Why an episode like this was not made when it was already set up so perfectly will always be a mystery to me.  :okiedokielokie: 

And to make it even worse, what do we get instead of this? A series of pictures at the beginning of Just for Sidekicks which explain Peewee's unceremonious removal from the show, whilst also implying that Spike was a lousy caretaker and was also not the least bit sad or upset about returning him to his family.  >_>

• Brohoof 10

We have missed Diamond Tiara getting an episode. This could create some oppitunities on how Diamond Tiara should truely behave. I was thinking for the past couple of weeks on an episode of how Luna visited Diamond Tiara's dream and Diamond Tiara got the message that she should change her ways. Now that will make some charater development.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

April Fools Episode: S1E5 Griffon the Brush Off

Christmas Episode: S2E11 Hearth's Warming Eve

Happy Holidays Episode: S1E11 Winter Wrap-Up

Dress Up Episode: S1E14 Suited For Success, S2E9 Sweet and Elite, S4E13 Simple Ways

Election Day: possible

Halloween Episode: S2E4 Luna Eclipsed

Valentine's Day: S2E17 Hearts and Hooves Day

Alternate Reality: sort of: S2E1-2 The Return of Harmony Part 1, 2; discussed in an IDM comic arc, discussed rampantly in fan works

Cowboy Episode: S1E21 Over a Barrel, S2E14 The Last Roundup

Noir Episode: sort of: S2E8 The Mysterious Mare-Do Well

Rhyming Episode: possible, probably not; alliterations are a common trait in many musical episodes

Storybook Episode: S2E11 Hearth's Warming Eve

Superhero Episode: S4E6 Power Ponies

Beach Episode: possible

Bootcamp Episode: possible; single-character centric in S3E7 Wonderbolts Academy

Camping Episode: S3E6 Sleepless in Ponyville

Courtroom Episode: possible

Episode on a Plane Train: S2E24 Mmmystery on the Friendship Express

Hot Springs Episode Friendship is Magic is not an anime

Picnic Episode: Invoked several times

Prison Episode: Unlikely, crime is nonexistent

Real World Episode: See Generation 1

Road Trip Plot: S4E9 Pinkie Apple Pie

Goes to Hollywood: S4E8 Rarity Takes Manehattan

Space Episode: possible(?)

Vacation: Invoked several times

Boys Vs. Girls: Unlikely, disproportionate gender ratio of interesting or developed characters

Baby Morph: Invoked, S1E23 The Cutie Mark Chronicles

Babysitting: S1E17 The Stare Master, S2E13 Baby Cakes

Broke Episode: Unlikely, finances are rarely a concern

Diet Episode: Unlikely, show never emphasizes nutrition

Rivalry Episode: Several. Some Combinations have not yet been explored in depth, such as Rainbow Dash-Rarity, Fluttershy-Pinkie Pie and Applejack-Twilight

Insomnia Episode: Possibly; S5E5 Tanks for the Memories could be an Inversion of this.

Paranormal Episode: Much of the possibility of these kinds of plots have been superseded by Gravity Falls.

Superstition Episode: S1E15 Feeling Pinkie Keen

Time Travel Episode: S2E20 It's About Time

Trainwreck Episode: possible(?) few major disasters befall Equestria that can't immediately be solved with magic.

Treasure Hunt Episode: possible

Sick Episode: Unlikely, health is never considered except for the sake of a joke

Dancing Episode: possible

Guinness Episode: Assuming the Sonic Rainboom hasn't set a world record, Possible

Musical Episode: You're kidding, right?

School Play: Invoked, S1E23 The Cutie Mark Chronicles

Olympics Episode: S4E24 Equestria Games

Birthday Episode: Invoked, S1E25 Party of One, S4E12 Pinkie Pride

Day in the Limelight: numerous possibilities

Background Character's Episode: numerous possibilities

Soliloquy Episode: possible, coupling this one with the above could make for a good Big Macintosh episode.

Villain Episode: Unlikely

Fear Episode: S3E6 Sleepless in Ponyville

Freaky Friday Episode: Opportunity taken in recent history by Gravity Falls S1E16 Carpet Diem.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 3

We have missed Diamond Tiara getting an episode. This could create some oppitunities on how Diamond Tiara should truely behave. I was thinking for the past couple of weeks on an episode of how Luna visited Diamond Tiara's dream and Diamond Tiara got the message that she should change her ways. Now that will make some charater development.

Not too keen on DT, personally, but I don't think it'd be the end of the world if she got en episode with character development

Not a lot about Princess Celestia or the inner workings of the Equestria Kingdom. It would make for some good material if Twilight Sparkle had to deal with controversial things like Celestia spying on other kingdoms or sending the Mane 6 to quell some ponies attempting to separate from the kingdom.

(edited)

Just gonna pop the episode idea I'd want to see taken advantage of in the future, in this thread and hopes it's not a missed opportunity in seasons to come.

I'd very much like a repeat of what went down in season 4's finale happen in Canterlot. More specifically, Canterlot castle. Just. BOOM. First off, we've never really seen epic monster attacks in Canterlot. It'd be a nice change of pace to see those snooty Canterlotians riled up a bit. Also- I really want to see Celestia and Luna (mostly Celestia though) lose their precious castle. They've been sitting up in their precious palace with their guards and maids and footponies and royal chefs and all that luxury (and WHY, when Celestia said over 1000 years ago that she wanted ponies to think of her and Luna as their guardians. Twilight was a guardian of ponykind and she's been living in a tree, right amongst (and not over) the ponies she was protecting, up until a few seasons back.) I think it'd be hilarious to see the royal sisters having to lose their home and luxuries, AJ, of all ponies taking them in (even insisting that she's got it taken care of, when Twilight tries to take the Princesses into her own castle), and the sisters having to readjust to life without all the fancy Canterlot luxuries, and doing farmwork on top of that! Because princess or not- if you don't work, you don't eat.

I'd like to see which of the two sisters would most likely shirk their responsibilities on the Apple farm,

And which could upset A.J the fastest, by holding onto too much of their stuffy Canterlot ways.

And which of the sisters would Apple Bloom likely try to bring into school the next day?

I could only begin to imagine how much hilarity would ensue with the sisters having to share a room with Apple Bloom, Big Mac, AJ or Granny Smith? Would there be room switching, when things start going south, so we get to see them with eventually all 4 family members? (I can imagine someone getting kicked a lot if they're trying to share a bed with A.J. XD)

So many possibilities for an episode of this nature!

Not a lot about Princess Celestia or the inner workings of the Equestria Kingdom. It would make for some good material if Twilight Sparkle had to deal with controversial things like Celestia spying on other kingdoms or sending the Mane 6 to quell some ponies attempting to separate from the kingdom.

hmmmm. That might be a little too controversial, though, and have people thinking it's a blatant parody/ mocking whatever of the NSA

and who really wants to sit through a 22 minute episode about the dealings of pony government?

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

hmmmm. That might be a little too controversial, though, and have people thinking it's a blatant parody/ mocking whatever of the NSA

and who really wants to sit through a 22 minute episode about the dealings of pony government?

Friendship vs the responsibilities to other people/interests. So far, FIM is pushing that there are no limitations/boundaries to friendship.

I want to see Discord being further reformed by each of the mane six individually. But I guess it's not too late for that. :/

Hmm...what else...Perhaps an episode about Babs over in Manehattan before she got her cutie mark.

Oh! When Discord was still evil, it would have been cool to watch him corrupt the CMC the same way he corrupted the mane six. His powers shouldn't be held back! They're too much fun!

• Brohoof 1

-Celestia episode

-Shinning Armor+Spikey Wickey 

-More of Flutter's past. Come one bros, she's the pony whose past we know less about  >_>

-AND BAT PONIES  :angry:

there was a Big Mac episode that was turned down? What, what?!

Don't know if I can find the quote, but I remember Lauren Faust confirming that he had an episode for Big Mac pitched but never went anywhere

Sucks too, having a Big Mac episode would be great

(edited)

It took them up to Season 5 to have a different concept of victory against the villain. It's generally the same emotional magic "friendship or love" that blasts the major villain for the win. At least in S5 the villain was exposed and ran away. That's a start.

Though I would like to see a villain try to push through their plan but it fails on its own (not Dues Ex Machina) and makes them give up.

Edited by Singe

The Breezie trip Fluttershy went on that was mentioned in Three's A Crowd, It Ain't Easy Being Breezie, and Make New Friends But Keep Discord.  I mean they have the set up for an episode right there, especially a key one. It would introduce a new character (Tree Hugger in this case) and there would still be the same message, it's just you have Tree Hugger being the on that over coddles them and Fluttershy going along because she's the expert, but when the Breezies need to get back you still have Fluttershy learn and deliver the same message that was in It Ain't Easy Being Breezie to Tree Hugger instead of Seabreeze. 

• Brohoof 1

It took them up to Season 5 to have a different concept of victory against the villain. It's generally the same emotional magic "friendship or love" that blasts the major villain for the win. At least in S5 the villain was exposed and ran away. That's a start.

Though I would like to see a villain try to push through their plan but it fails on its own (not Dues Ex Machina) and makes them give up.

I'd hardly call Starlight's escape any kind of victory, though. Not for the Mane 6 and not for Starlight, herself. Though I do like they're doing more with their villains than just instant defeat by magical rainbows.

• 2 weeks later...

BOTH of those surprise me. I'd love to see a Rainbow/Rarity episode because we really don't get to see at all how the two of them interact as friends thus far.

Celestia also is thankfully being depicted as less of "Equestria's Mom" and she's moving more into showing her "normal pony" side to the viewers. I think an episode for her would be awesome, especially one that showed Star Swirl.

• Brohoof 2