Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Dislestia a thing? Understanding shipping

ManaMinori

Discord x Celestia. Really. What's up with that? It doesn't even make sense given the logic people try to put behind it. Discord being a creature of chaos and Celestia as the bearer of the elements of Harmony, and opposites attracting. But where does Luna come into the Equation, since she, too had control of the Elements alongside her sister, they shared half each, when going up against Discord, but yet somehow people conveniently forget that.

Why don't people ship Discord, since- according to the Journal of the Two Sisters, it was Starswirl who knew about the EoH and their location and purpose long before the royal sisters came to power. Or Discord with the Tree of Harmony, itself, the ultimate harmony bringer, since it's basically providing the elements of harmony, itself? Or the Mane 6, who've been the most recent harmony bringers who've utilized the Trees and its elements powers? Why just Celestia?

• Brohoof 5

Shipping happens on a whim and there needs to be no logic to it. All a ship needs to be is appealing for whatever reason. Honestly, you'd be better off asking "what's the appeal of DisLestia" and you may find relatively more concrete answers.

It might be a parallel of Octavia and Vinyl Scratch with the whole "opposites attract" theme.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Shipping happens on a whim and there needs to be no logic to it. All a ship needs to be is appealing for whatever reason.

This. Personally I don't understand how Sunset Shimmer and Vinyl Scratch shipping works, but it doesn't have to. Probably every single combination of shipping has been done long time ago and constantly updating as new characters are introduced.

As for why Celestia instead of Luna, well... It seems like Celestia still remains the more prominent ruler of Equestria. That's my guess anyway. Or maybe people simply think Discord and Celestia look more appealing together.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't really believe in the opposites attract scenario. Individuals are shades of gray not black and white. I mean if that's the case Braeburn and Celestia would be perfect for each other because Braeburn is so detached from magic and royalty and Celestia is brimming with magic and is in the cusp of royalty yet I don't hear any shipping on them.

Edited by cidershield
  • Brohoof 3

-Opposites atract each other.

-Largest mare in the show.

-Trollestia

-Molestia

-Ze Celestia's giggles

-Celestia never succumbed before any sort of evil.

-Muh sunrises.

-Celestia clearly outpowers her sister. (Still Luna best pony)

I can look up for more if you want.

I've learned over the years that shipping is one of those things that you just can't question. Some shipping will just come out of anywhere.

If you want weird ships, just see what my sister ships.

Because shippers are weird and will take anything to mean characters are attracted to eachother for the hell of it.

Never understood it but I guess I'll leave them to it >.< 99% of ships don't make sense

It is simple wish fulfillment, with a smattering of cultural and narrative history, and even a little art imitating life thrown in for good measure.

I don't really believe in the opposites attract scenario. Individuals are shades of gray not black and white. I mean if that's the case Braeburn and Celestia would be perfect for each other because Braeburn is so detached from magic and royalty and Celestia is brimming with magic and is in the cusp of royalty yet I don't hear any shipping on them.

Meet Jeric x Jeric's IRL wife ;)

Opposites can attract. It's a thing.

• Brohoof 2

For some people it is the whole "opposites attract" principle which as Jeric pointed out can actually happen in real life in some cases. Speaking just for myself though I mostly like this ship because I find it completely hilarious. Can you really imagine if they actually were a couple? Yes I know it is very unlikely but if it were to happen can you imagine what their interactions would be like? I sure can and the thought of it never fails to get me laughing.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Whenever they say opposites attract it doesn't apply to everything in relationships. Because it usually talks about some mainstream detail of couples.

For example:

Do rich women like poor men?

That doesn't flow

Rich men and poor women might like each other but it's not the other way around.

Edited by cidershield

I always thought that shipping base on interaction. Like you ship Katara and Aang or Naruto and Sasue because they are good friends. But this fandom is the only one i found where 90% of ships does not exist in tv show even as friendship and often those characters haven't met eachother. So i guess there is now the classic shipping when it's about characters that ain't yet a pair but you hope that they will and there is also the new age shipping when you take ANY two characters and just work with them without any canon context. Dislestia and Fluttermac are closer to the latter so far.

• Brohoof 2

Eh I like it because I see potential in the two characters for an interesting relationship (friendship or otherwise). Celestia's pretty open minded and chill, has a fun side to her and seems to be pretty clever and a smart individual, and really caring and patient. Discord likes to have fun, is very clever and knowledgable himself, enjoys a challenge, and is on the path to becoming a good friend. I think there's some base to work from if they ever decided to at least make them friends. Which is the most I want really, I could care less about shipping canonically speaking. I think he can allow her the opportunity to cut loose, and her provide him another equally knowledgeable mind to interact and share with. Also the pranks would be amusing, wether collaborative or against one another for fun.

It does kind of annoy me that people just look at their "jobs" and not who they are, specially on Celestia's side....

That's my take on it.

As to random shipping, I've been in many fandoms, many never met shippings are actually based on character traits and personalities, it's usually just amusing character exploration. And it's actually a common thing. Of course there's always the wtf's done for the sake of fetish or wtf-ery. Regardless, shipping in the end is supposed to be fun. Why the hell people take it so damn seriously is beyond me.

• Brohoof 3

It does kind of annoy me that people just look at their "jobs" and not who they are, specially on Celestia's side....

You might be my new favorite person now.

There are going to be ships that won't make much sense.

For example, I don't get the whole FlutterShy x Discord. It's just... It doesn't work for me.

I kind of get the appeal of Fluttershy and Discord, and to an extent like it as a one sided thing that could help develop him, and adore their friendship. I can respect part of why people like it. But what kills it for me is that I feel it limits his character potential. And the latest episode cemented that view for me. Discord being tied down to only Fluttershy and not being allowed to develop full fleshed relationships with other individuals really decimates the character.

Anyways, to remain full on topic, I don't think you can ever make full sense of shipping, because many people have different interpretations. Though, that is part of the fun sometimes.

• Brohoof 4

Uh, as a hardcore Dislestia shipper, I feel the need to chime in here.

In my opinion, it totally could have happened. Long long ago, when they were both much younger and Discord hadn't matured into the take-over-the-world dude he turned in to.

This image captures what I think it could have been like during the first confrontation with Discord:

the_heart_of_my_sister_by_lalindaaa-d5ji

And here's a couple other, happier images because they do a good job showing what it could have been:

LreHa5w.png

sketch___pinned_ya_by_sophiecabra-d7dkdj

• Brohoof 1

Some ships just seem to fit together,   also with a LOT of unknown history on both of them makes for good areas

for writing and having fun with it.  Take Octavia and DJ P0N-3 is being cast as friends,  roommates and even

romance!   We've never seen em together in the show but the fans paired em!

Uh, as a hardcore Dislestia shipper, I feel the need to chime in here.

In my opinion, it totally could have happened. Long long ago, when they were both much younger and Discord hadn't matured into the take-over-the-world dude he turned in to.

This image captures what I think it could have been like during the first confrontation with Discord:

sig-3804812.the_heart_of_my_sister_by_la

And here's a couple other, happier images because they do a good job showing what it could have been:

sig-3804812.LreHa5w.png

sig-3804812.sketch___pinned_ya_by_sophie

They never met in the past as he had no friends. Headcanons can't justify chemistry. I may as well say that Celestia spend her childhood with Scorpan and here you go, Scorlestia confirmed and make sense.

• Brohoof 2

They never met in the past as he had no friends. Headcanons can't justify chemistry. I may as well say that Celestia spend her childhood with Scorpan and here you go, Scorlestia confirmed and make sense.

You're totally missing the point though. I'm not saying it actually happened, I'm saying the headcanon isn't as far fetched as the OP made it seem. It's fine if you don't want to think it happened, but the whole point of a headcanon is that it's not something that's been confirmed by the show. You want to think Celestia spent her childhood with Scorpan? Cool, there's an interesting headcanon. Because that's how headcanons work.

I never understood this either until someone explained it to me. But I hope that Make New Friends but Keep Discord puts an end to the Dislestia ships. I'd say that episode makes it painfully obvious that there's nothing going on between them, and that they're not even friends. Celestia didn't make Discord her "plus one"/ date. She didn't even give the ticket to Discord herself like she did with the mane 6 (see "the Ticket Master"). And Discord didn't get jealous of Celestia spending her time with Twilight at the Gala. And Discord never once tried to impress Celestia the whole time he was at the Gala. She only laughed at one of his jokes which was simply intended to amuse the ponies there. But on the other hand he got extremely jealous when Fluttershy was spending more time with Tree Hugger than with him...He also even threatened to send her to her another dimension just so she wouldn't interfere with his relationship with Fluttershy anymore...He even admitted it...

If this episode doesn't prove that there's literally nothing between Celestia and Discord and that Fluttershy is the one Discord loves then I don't know what does...

• Brohoof 4

(edited)
If this episode doesn't prove that there's literally nothing between Celestia and Discord and that Fluttershy is the one Discord loves then I don't know what does...

As a hardcore Dislestia shipper, I KNOW Discord loves Fluttershy.

But I believe it's in a platonic fashion. Discord is clingy and jealous? Of COURSE Discord is clingy and jealous.

Discord's still learning how friendship works, and as someone that's spent his entire life alone and looking out for only himself, it's going to be a slow process. Discord's on the same social level as a small child. And how many small children get jealous when their best friend finds another friend? A LOT. Heck even I've done it. It's because you fear you're going to be replaced.

Discord and Fluttershy will be friends forever.

And none of this weakens my views or headcanons on Dislestia as OTP.  :squee:

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 2