Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is a vector graphic? (what a vector graphic actually is)

FLARE

Sounds cool.

*Downloads*

This might take a while to get used to :P

Yep, don't give up if you can't grasp it right away, just leave it there on your computer and when you are bored just launch it and mess around with it until you get it. I've done that with many programs and it seems to work best for me as I rarely am able to grasp the full control of a program right away.

(edited)

Initial reaction:

Posted Image

I shall try though!

And i shall get good at it someday!

I'll have to look at tutorials and such.

Posted Image

Well, i think that worked out quite swell actually.

Although, i could not find out how to save it so i could upload it to imgur or Deviant art

Edited by ShadowCloud
  • Brohoof 1

Initial reaction:

Posted Image

I shall try though!

And i shall get good at it someday!

I'll have to look at tutorials and such.

Posted Image

Well, i think that worked out quite swell actually.

Although, i could not find out how to save it so i could upload it to imgur or Deviant art

That is actually really good, you should make more.

Due to a recent hard drive issue I needed to refomat and I haven't installed inkscape yet, I'll help you export it once I install it (I am rightttt now)

That is actually really good, you should make more.

Due to a recent hard drive issue I needed to refomat and I haven't installed inkscape yet, I'll help you export it once I install it (I am rightttt now)

Mmkay, i ended up saving it in type of png to upload it to imgur (But i still have the SVG version)

Mmkay, i ended up saving it in type of png to upload it to imgur (But i still have the SVG version)

That is fine. Most websites don't support embedding of SVG files, but all modern web browsers can view them.

If you plan on uploading an SVG to deviant art it is recommended that you use http://sta.sh/ to store the file.

That is fine. Most websites don't support embedding of SVG files, but all modern web browsers can view them.

If you plan on uploading an SVG to deviant art it is recommended that you use http://sta.sh/ to store the file.

What always happens is it comes up with a "No preview Available" where the image would be.

What always happens is it comes up with a "No preview Available" where the image would be.

Yeah it doesn't generate a preview which is sorta annoying however if you do a direct download to the file it should work fine and be in a legit vector format.

There is a petition going on over here http://mlp-vectorclub.deviantart.com/journal/A-proposal-to-DA-for-better-vector-format-support-299178217 about it.

I wonder if Vector art works for either programs I use, which is Paint Tool SAI or Inkspace? If either of them (or both) are possible, just wondering if I know how to do so. ;)

I wonder if Vector art works for either programs I use, which is Paint Tool SAI or Inkspace? If either of them (or both) are possible, just wondering if I know how to do so. ;)

I know they work with inkscape (I'm pretty sure it's a vector program) But Sai is a painting program. So i don't think vectors are not a possibility for Sai.

Paint Tool SAI has no support for vectors, at the very least it will convert the image to raster. Inkscape is completely vector, so it would make sense for it to work with vectors. I do not believe that Inkscape has an raster editing abilities.

• Brohoof 1

THANK YOU! One of my interest is something of corporate marketing, and Everyting I see a product box (oh, let's say a box of Pop-Tarts or something), I sometimes look so hard to see if I can tell the tiny little pixels, but apparently not. :P But now, this clears up a few more things for me, especially terminology-wise.

I personally think (well, it's obvious, ain't it?) vectors are waaaay better than bitmap images, even though the difference can really be told up close. I guess vectors can be considered "retina-tier resolution" compared to lazy ol bitmaps. Lol

(edited)

THANK YOU! One of my interest is something of corporate marketing, and Everyting I see a product box (oh, let's say a box of Pop-Tarts or something), I sometimes look so hard to see if I can tell the tiny little pixels, but apparently not. :P But now, this clears up a few more things for me, especially terminology-wise.

I personally think (well, it's obvious, ain't it?) vectors are waaaay better than bitmap images, even though the difference can really be told up close. I guess vectors can be considered "retina-tier resolution" compared to lazy ol bitmaps. Lol

The boxes you look at are all raster images printed at 300dpi. There are things with bitmap that you could never achieve with vectors. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, neither is better then the other.

The poptart boxes are made in photoshop as bitmaps.

virtually all the art in advertising is done via bitmaps.

Edited by Bohtty
  • Brohoof 2

Question; how do I make vector art from Inkscape and not turn it horrible from my SAI drawing? I tried vector art to make the colors look the same, but it turned out ugly.

(edited)

Question; how do I make vector art from Inkscape and not turn it horrible from my SAI drawing? I tried vector art to make the colors look the same, but it turned out ugly.

What exactly do you mean by ugly? Do you mind posting a picture of it here? I might be able to help then. Also include an SVG link to it so I can try and fix it for you. Edited by Flare^03

What exactly do you mean by ugly? Do you mind posting a picture of it here? I might be able to help then. Also include an SVG link to it so I can try and fix it for you.

Sure. Here's the difference:

Normal art:

Posted Image

"Failed" Vector art: Posted Image

Has anyone else heard of vexel art? I only learned about it recently, and I believe that it's pretty similar to vector work (the process for creating it is essentially the same), but is made using raster software, and is typically saved as a high resolution .png file, as a way to get around the pixelation that comes with scaling up.

Something with no background that allows noobs like me to create flawless sigs, without having to try (and fail) at removing BG's.

:3

Something with no background that allows noobs like me to create flawless sigs, without having to try (and fail) at removing BG's.

:3

Doesn't have to have no background.

Doesn't have to have no background.

All the ones I've seen are BG-less ^^ Whether they all are or not, *shrug* Just reporting from my experience.

(edited)

Has anyone else heard of vexel art? I only learned about it recently, and I believe that it's pretty similar to vector work (the process for creating it is essentially the same), but is made using raster software, and is typically saved as a high resolution .png file, as a way to get around the pixelation that comes with scaling up.

ALL PNG files have pixelation when scaling. The only global format to not have pixelation is SVG.

All the ones I've seen are BG-less ^^ Whether they all are or not, *shrug* Just reporting from my experience.

Vector with background

Posted Image

Edited by Bohtty

(edited)

ALL PNG files have pixelation when scaling. The only global format to now have pixelation is SVG.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I was just mentioning that there is an alternative to vector work.

Edited by BadMan171

Yes, I'm aware of that. I was just mentioning that there is an alternative to vector work.

No because it isn't an alternative xD

No because it isn't an alternative xD

Okay, so maybe "alternative" was the wrong word to use (for you at least). What would you call it, if that's the case?

Okay, so maybe "alternative" was the wrong word to use (for you at least). What would you call it, if that's the case?

Well it's still vectoring so its not really an alternative to vectoring. The alternative to vector is raster.