Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Number research, please contribute! :3

Holiday Agnaktor

(edited)

Hello!

I need as many people as possible to think of a good 4-numbered code, so that I can crunch some numbers and get results! (I have got too much time, I know. :muffins:) I want to know what people think is a safe code. Once I have some data I'll put up a link to a document containing all the data and the results, which I'll try to update frequently.

So please, gimme some numbers to work with!  :catface:

Yeah, I'm a data-freak. Yeah.  B)

EDIT: The results are now online here.

Edited by Midnight Frost
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

So like, four numbers that form a solid password? Almost all of them are going to be random (at first glance) I believe, and the only thing I think that accounts for just four numbers is someone's PIN...?  :derp:

Edited by SFyr

So like, four numbers that form a solid password? Almost all of them are going to be random (at first glance) I believe, and the only thing I think that accounts for just four numbers is someone's PIN...?  :derp:

Yes, just four numbers, like GrepPIEtas did. :3 And no, they aren't random. I've already seen that some numbers appear more often in certain spots than others. >:3 Yes, I want to see what the most predictable PIN-number is, just because I have a lot of time, (the holiday is almost here!) and I'm curious.:3

May I ask what you are using the passwords for?

Thanks! I'm using the passwords to see what the most predictable password would be, and therefore also what's safest, like I said above. :3

(edited)

sig-3876992.463.jpg

...I'm bad with jokes... ;-;

Thanks! I'll put try to get the current data online as soon as possible. (I also have some data from school where I cornered my classmates one by one and forced numbers out of them. >:3)

EDIT: Yay! I have now got a spreadsheet online: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fX52sc8P92juAIkN3Hz-jzb6Xlbjb2pJrINmipT7R0M/pubhtml

Edited by Midnight Frost

I randomly generated those numbers, so I'm sorry if I screwed up your research.

I think any PIN would be good as long as it isn't a repeating number like 3333, or sequential, like 3456.

I randomly generated those numbers, so I'm sorry if I screwed up your research.

I think any PIN would be good as long as it isn't a repeating number like 3333, or sequential, like 3456.

Oh ohke, I'll remove those numbers then. :3 No problem!
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Darn, I'm out of joke numbers.

(This is gonna take awhile...)

I'm sorry, but I can't use these numbers, because they aren't "randomly" chosen. Using those numbers would make the most used number 0 instantaneously, and just generally mess things up... :/

EDIT: I've added the new numbers and updated the spreadsheet a bit. :3

Edited by Midnight Frost

Finding secure PINs using crowdsourced data? Brilliant!  ^_^ 

You made me curious too regarding what (I assume) you're doing, so I looked around a bit and read this.

It's an interesting conundrum. It seems that as data sets grow very large with increasing counts of identical data, it may be less secure to randomly generate a password. If I were actively trying to come up with a secure four-digit number, I'd first randomly select a number from the median to the minimum of the data frequency (though obviously avoiding either extreme), then run it through a search engine to be sure it doesn't match any instances in popular media. I'd make sure it isn't in the range of about 1900-2100, and contains no or minimal repeating digits or adjacent numbers on a standard keypad/numpad.

Collecting data from mlpforums, though, hmm... If you collected a very large amount of data, I'd expect to see that it's markedly different from data collected from the general population, by virtue of this being a gathering place for people who are both similar-minded, yet outliers. Or maybe that's just my out-group homogeneity bias speaking...

Oh, and so I don't go off-topic here, some numbers:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Finding secure PINs using crowdsourced data? Brilliant!  ^_^ 

You made me curious too regarding what (I assume) you're doing, so I looked around a bit and read this.

It's an interesting conundrum. It seems that as data sets grow very large with increasing counts of identical data, it may be less secure to randomly generate a password. If I were actively trying to come up with a secure four-digit number, I'd first randomly select a number from the median to the minimum of the data frequency (though obviously avoiding either extreme), then run it through a search engine to be sure it doesn't match any instances in popular media. I'd make sure it isn't in the range of about 1900-2100, and contains no or minimal repeating digits or adjacent numbers on a standard keypad/numpad.

Collecting data from mlpforums, though, hmm... If you collected a very large amount of data, I'd expect to see that it's markedly different from data collected from the general population, by virtue of this being a gathering place for people who are both similar-minded, yet outliers. Or maybe that's just my out-group homogeneity bias speaking...

Oh, and so I don't go off-topic here, some numbers:

I've read that article, and now I'm disappointed in humanity. (12345 has almost 23%?!? WHAT?!?) ;-;

My classmates did a lot better, none of them made up PINs like that... Except for this one girl who went with 0001. :D

Whilst is was asking around for PINs, I noticed one thing: after I asked one of my teachers, who responded with "twelve fifteen", EVERYONE started making up codes with the formula xyxz, the first number being the same as the third, and saying that code in the exact same way, like fifty-three fifty-seven. EVERYONE. In the following lesson they were back to normal... O.o It was almost sad how easily they were influenced... ;-;

Also thanks everypony for the numbers! :3 I'm going to put them in excel right away. :D

EDIT: I've added the numbers, and added some graphs that show stuff! Also, I don't trust the spreadsheet thingy to make graphs work, so I've put it up in Excel Online, I hope it works for you all. :3 Here is the link: Huzzah!

Edited by Midnight Frost
  • Brohoof 2