Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone dislike ponification?

CosmicHooves

(edited)

I like the show.

I really do.

BUT I cannot stand when some of my favorite video games and movies are... "ponified".

In my opinion, it most certainly doesn't make that form of media any better at all.

I know allot people just do it to be silly, but I personally find it annoying.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Edited by Decrypted
  • Brohoof 6

(edited)

Ponification made me mad to see Bender and all my other favourite Futurama characters get ponified back when I hated My Little Pony.

But then I realized ponification can help promote both My Little Pony and the thing it crossovers with. 

Most fan fiction I hate to see a human being ponified, there are some I like reading. But most stories that involve a human being turned into a pony I tend to avoid reading,  

Edited by Bendy

I don't mind it in the least bit honestly. Sometimes it is cool to see something ponified when done right though.

• Brohoof 1

I like the show.

I really do.

BUT I cannot stand when some of my favorite video games and movies are... "ponified".

In my opinion, it most certainly doesn't make that form of media any better at all.

I know allot people just do it to be silly, but I personally find it annoying.

Does anyone else feel the same?

While I know where you're getting at, I personally find ponifacations to be interesting, but that's rather if it's done good. Such as Fallout Equestria as an example. To me, it's quality that matters. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Contrarily I'm interested to see ponified things. I draw ponification of things including controversial historical figures. Guess at that point you can call it sort of morbid interest.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 1

I don't care really much, yet it's not my thing. I can understand people who hate it as well as who like. It can promote the show for sure, but seeing how many people hate the show cuz of it, makes me think, it would be better if ponies stayed in Equestria.

I don't mind it at all. It's just the fandom having fun, nothing wrong with that.

I don't see why people get upset over it. It doesn't affect anyone and can easily be ignore. It's a rather silly to get upset over.

• Brohoof 6

Crossover is fine to an extent, but there are lines of real world sensitivity that shouldn't be crossed in the name of shitty fandom. Fictional crossover, of course, is always one hunna. Though I don't usually go out of my way to look much into it, I prefer staying in Equestria.

I dislike various ponifications more than i dislike others. Some ponification can actually be clever - various fan art, video game mods, and (let's not forget!) fanfiction can be made with such fusions. It all falls down to taste and execution.

Not a big fan.

MLP is one of my favorite things, but that doesn't mean that I want to see it shoved into every other thing that I like. It can get pretty tiresome.

• Brohoof 2

I can't say it bothers me. Crossover fan-art and the like, both good and poor quality, happens with a lot of things. Seems like a silly thing to get worked up about in my opinion. It's not like the original works get destroyed because someone wants to draw their favourite space marine as a pony.

I don't mind it at all. I like to imagine what some of my favorite characters from other fandoms look like as ponies.

I used to do the same thing with Sonic the Hedgehog. I once drew everyone I knew in middle school as a Sonic character.

It was really fun. 83

My opinion is rather subdued. I just see it as a fun "what-if" sort of thing to make an occasional image about and see how to constrain yourself to the design restraints of a completely different and often more simple style. Making things in the style of other things is rather interesting to me, so it isn't limited to just ponification. I often want to make the things I like in my own style, including the ponies themselves. Which I plan on reverse-ponifying into other creatures that I've invented.

I can understand how it's annoying though and sometimes, it does get to me. Often because people do it wrong and do not make it look like it could be a part of MLP. I think the key to a good ponification is to make it look like it'd at least be somewhat in-place in the MLP universe. Still, I can understand the reasoning of being annoyed by it being sort of intrusive in another fandom. It is the most common type of crossover I've ever seen, so it gets old fast. I can only imagine what happens if you're a Doctor Who fan who hates ponification. That must be REALLY irritating.

, I'm moving this thread to Sugarcube Corner as that is where pony-related discussion belongs.  :bedeyes:

When I see ponified things or make ponified things I never think "this'll make it better!" it just seems like something fun. That's what it is... all in good fun. No need to take it seriously.

(edited)

On the contrary. It's just cross-over art. It's artists having fun, and if they want to associate MLP with whatever they're ponifying, why the heck not? I think people just interpret it wrong. It basically just represents the thought, "Hey, I like MLP, and I like Halo (for example). I bet I could draw cross-over art of them."

It's not "infecting" other fandoms, it's just a cross-over. Every other fandom does it, what's so criminal about Bronies doing it? People are free to express their artistic creativity however they choose. And they should be encouraged to do so.

Edited by GeekySonic
  • Brohoof 3

I don't mind ponifcation. I like to see fan art depicting famous characters as ponies. I did come to this thread expecting something totally different though. Did anyone else misread the title as...

"Does anyone hate pontification?

I don't mind it at all. It's just the fandom having fun, nothing wrong with that.

I don't see why people get upset over it. It doesn't affect anyone and can easily be ignore. It's a rather silly to get upset over.

Sorry for using the word "hate" in the thread.

I probably shoukd change that.

I don't get upset at all, I'm just a tad annoyed.

And also ponified content isn't as unavoidable as you would think.

I dont really like ponification. Mlp is its own universe like any other show. Its weird bringing stuff over to it.

Its even weirder when humans go into Equestria in Fanfiction. We got some wanna-be named James Fanboying over meeting the Mane 6.

It just feels unnatural. I prefer to keep Mlp as its own universe.

• Brohoof 2

i'm ok with it. I'm surprised how much of it actually works (in that you can tell who the pony is supposed to be or you can tell who they are even if the name escapes you.)

On the other hand. doing the reverse and making ponies human is very hit and miss XD

I don't have a problem with it, because I think it's pretty neat to see something that you like combined with something else you like. I'm sure that it can easily get weird and stupid, but I myself don't see much ponification of anything, so it never bothers me. Unless the art is either bad and/or doesn't look right.