Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Isn't having the same ruler for over 1000 years old a bit excessive?

cider float

Isn't it odd that nobody has any objections on a princess that ruled over Equestria for over 1000 years? It doesn't matter if it's monarchy, even people in said times did set up rebels that overthrew the monarchy from time to time and set new rulers. Even if she can live for so long I think having her rule for over 1000 years could be questioned.

• Brohoof 3

God-Emperor ponies are magic. Nah, but my personal vague headcanon is that pony years are shorter than human ones, so there's probably duplicate seasons or something and they aren't really that old. Or maybe they really are ageless like Tolkien's elves and I'll go back to having a blown mind.

• Brohoof 3

2 reasons that i know of why people rebel

incompetent ruler

and someone else wanting the throne for themselves

celestia is competent enough for the job so i dont see the other ponies rebelling

we did have luna trying to take the throne for herself out of jealousy

maybe over the course of 1000 years some other nobles tried it O.o

Celestia is a benevolent leader which ponies look up to for her grace and wisdom. There would be no need for a new leader and the ponies seem to accept such a relationship as one that lasts for 1000 years.

• Brohoof 1

Isn't it odd that nobody has any objections on a princess that ruled over Equestria for over 1000 years? It doesn't matter if it's monarchy, even people in said times did set up rebels that overthrew the monarchy from time to time and set new rulers. Even if she can live for so long I think having her rule for over 1000 years could be questioned.

Why would there be support to overthrow a benevolent ruler? Unless she ends what I suspect is a reign of salutary neglect with despotism, the citizens have no motivation to rise up. Also, ponies don't tend to live 1000 years so it wouldn't get old for the individual. ;)

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, the country seems to be prospering and the vast majority of people seem very content - rebellions don't start for the heck of it, they are the people's response to poor leadership and poor living conditions (often oppression and explotation) of the masses. Equestria doesn't have this problem, so there is nothing to rebel over.

If anything any such potential "rebellion" would be turned on by the masses and torn to pieces by the populace itself because they would come across as a bunch of crazy ponies trying to ruin everyone's else perfectly happy lifestyle. And people don't like their happy lives to be threatened.

• Brohoof 1

I just take it as testament to the quality of Celestia's rulership and the adaptive caring of Equestrian society that there have been no successful popular uprisings for 1000 years.

For when a problem of discontent does arise, Celestia strikes me as the sort of pony that lives and breaths this quote:

B9p-NULCAAA6IVa.jpg

• Brohoof 4

What can I say, Celestia has done a good job. Or she's actually Putin in secrecy!

What if Luna did her dirty work of eliminating competitors and she had enough of it!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

If it's not broke then don't fix it.

Seeing how her subjects haven't rebelled or overthrown Celestia for over 1000 years, she must be a good enough ruler that their doesn't need many changes to the equestrian government.

Edited by cmarston1

(edited)

Maybe is because time pass and even if Celestia is the "main" ruler, there are some other rulers around to take care of more social things in the society, like Mayor Mare.

And well, Celestia seems like a nice ruler, so maybe that's part of the equation. 

Edited by Sochy
Correct my english.

(edited)

If Celestia was a cruel tyrant, the ponies would try overthrow her. 

Since she isn't I doubt many a pony want to see her taken down from her throne. I think we can safely assume a large amount of ponies are loyal to her. I'm sure there are ponies that dislike Celestia, but I think are far outnumbered by the loyalists.

In certain fan fiction Celestia uses mind altering magic to make ponies not have the ability to have rebellious thought. With the ponies incapable of thinking rebellious thoughts, she can ensure total power over the ponies and use them as her puppets. 

Edited by Bendy

Some people are just extremely deluded. "Hurr celestia isn't that  great of a ruler if you think about it", no...

Anyone who says something like that has NOT thought about it. They probably just read something and agreed. Celestia has maintained peace in the nation for 1000 years, the ponies are all happy and equestria, despite being somewhat medieval/near industrious still manages to have an extremely high SOL. Celestia is running Equestria amazingly. 

It's hard to imagine how anyone can actually consciously believe non-sarcastically that Celestia is a tyrant or horrible ruler.

Soooo no, no it isn't. She's doing a damn fine job.

People don't like to break with tradition - just look at the British monarchy. Pointless but people can't bear the thought of not having it. In Sunbutt's case it just turns out that she doesn't die of old age.