Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorns immune to bullets?

Bendy

We do see something akin to this with magic fights. Twilight has shot magic missile style offenses and has used a shield to good effect.

Obviously a bullet is going to be traveling much faster than a spell that can be tracked by sight, but as long as the unicorn/alicorn is ready and "quick on the draw" especially seeing as it's a mostly mental task, they should at least be able to take a few rounds before needing to other get to cover or return fire.

I don't think being quick to the draw would work if it's attempted, key word "attempted", to do so AFTER the gun is shot, magic don't takes a though speed to activate as far as we've seen. It would be the same as trying to dodge a bullet like Albert Wesker, once the shot is fired, it's humanly impossible to move out of the way before it hits

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't think being quick to the draw would work if it's attempted, key word "attempted", to do so AFTER the gun is shot, magic don't takes a though speed to activate as far as we've seen. It would be the same as trying to dodge a bullet like Albert Wesker, once the shot is fired, it's humanly impossible to move out of the way before it hits

I was referring to having the presence of mind to pull up the shield before the weapon is even aimed. Yeah, no way it would work if the guy's already lined up his sight and squeezed the trigger.

It's funny because of all the fictional settings I've seen bend the laws of physics over backwards, very few of them involve outright bullet deflection. Most of the time the character in some way dodges the shots or renders their threat moot through magic or something. Not as much bullet blocking or Superman resistance as one might think.

Even ​Equilibrium, the movie that invented Gun (Flippin') Kata makes it a point that once the trigger is squeezed, that bullet is going where the barrel is pointed!

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

I was referring to having the presence of mind to pull up the shield before the weapon is even aimed. Yeah, no way it would work if the guy's already lined up his sight and squeezed the trigger.

Oh, OK, that makes sense, I think is possible for a magic shield  to deflect bullets. I still wouldn't take my chances with anything stronger than a 40mm grenade though  :huh:

Edited by Steve Piranha
  • Brohoof 2

Oh, OK, that makes sense, I think is possible for a magic shield  to deflect bullets.

I was going to make this point before Steel Accord beat me to it.  I imagine that they could put up a wall of telekinetic energy that could stop anything that enters it, and if the pony was strong enough at it, they could still do the Neo thing.

And if the pony could perfectly anticipate when the bullet would be fired, i.e. if the pony herself was pulling the trigger, then I imagine it would be something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS_szvIxbAo#t=3m17s

• Brohoof 1

Pretty much any pony would be immune to bullets, considering basic energy output from ponies is far greater than any conventional weapon, and they manage to hurt each other all the time. Attaching Newton's Third Law to it, even basic weather manipulation from an average unicorn (like Rarity controlling the weather to the horizon in Magical Mystery Cure) would render them completely immune to conventional weaponry, let alone some of the more impressive things like building and city sized shield domes, and moving celestial bodies.

• Brohoof 1

All depends on personal headcanons

I like the idea that Alicorns are only ageless

They can be killed with magic, blade or projectile weapons

Going one step further, ascended Alicorns, like Cadence and Twilight (pegasus and unicorn respectively) age normally, whereas "pure" Alicorns, like Luna and Celestia are ageless

I tell them apart by the Mane style: neither Twi nor Cadence have flowing manes

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

One would think Pinkie Pie with her Pinkie Sense would be able to avoid a bullet but so far the only things she can avoid are falling objects and those don't travel as fast as a bullet.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

Alicorns immune to bullets as in certain fan fictions?

OK, let's say for example Celestia is going for a walk in the Everfree Forest and there is a human sniper hidden in a bush with his sights on Celestia's head. He pulls the trigger... but she remains unaffected due to her alicorn body. What do you think of alicorns being immune to bullets thing that pops up quite a few fan fictions? 

Even... then I'm sure the right kind of bullet could harm or kill an alicorns. Let's say magical crystal ammo from the Crystal Empire.

The reason the human shot her.... he was a human from a Conversion Bureau war universe somehow ended up in a non Conversion Bureau war universe... yeah that's good reason to shoot Celestia.

Celestia and Luna lift up the sun and moon, their

durability is equal to the weight they can withstand.

If they can lift planets and stars im sure they can

take the force of a bullet.

• Brohoof 1

All depends on personal headcanons

I like the idea that Alicorns are only ageless

They can be killed with magic, blade or projectile weapons

Going one step further, ascended Alicorns, like Cadence and Twilight (pegasus and unicorn respectively) age normally, whereas "pure" Alicorns, like Luna and Celestia are ageless

I tell them apart by the Mane style: neither Twi nor Cadence have flowing manes

Well that does make some sense as we've seen Celestia and Luna both at least injure one another in their fight. They may be immortal, but you know how it goes.

One would think Pinkie Pie with her Pinkie Sense would be able to avoid a bullet but so far the only things she can avoid are falling objects and those don't travel as fast as a bullet.

I would pay good money to see Pinkie dodging bullets like a bouncy ball!  :P

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

About personal "passive" shields:

Shining Armor "City Shield" can withstand beings stronger than royal guards (changelings) smashing into it; while only allowing a train with ponies, cargo and a dragon to pass through with the assistance from the inside.

Cadance "Health Magic Bubble" [s4E1] blocks entities based on the presence of pathogens inside them (Discord´s "blue flu" probably used real equestrian microbes [s4E20], he was already inmune to); with currents of water and air passing trough (but not sneezes with contaminated particles of water).

Both spells do not need to be channeled continously (light horn); but instead require more magic; working by themselves for a fixed ammount of time.

If you combine the strenght of the former with the "selectivity" of the latter, the "radar" part of the spell activates the shield at full power if something with a great kinetic energy is detected in a vector pointing towards the body.

Since multiple bullets from diferent angles coming at the same time would be repeled by the same shield individually (each zone of the sphere having its own point-strength-resistance); forcing it to activate multiple times by shooting once every few seconds may depleate the magic it quicker. But also gives the protected inside time to react (even if the attacker is invisible), either by reinforcing/recasting the shield; flying/teleporting away, or just "blasting out everything around" to unconceal their location.

Edited by SilverComet
  • Brohoof 1

The only reason I find them immune is a pre setup all time protection so that the bullet...won't penetrate and drilled a hole on magical ponies. and don't tell me about magic depletion, celestia and luna moved a frikkin star (or earth) everyday.

• Brohoof 1

I believe that Alicorns are like Daleks. They constantly cast a magic shield around them to melt incoming bullets. If this is the case, that means with enough focused fire bullets could break through. Does this mean that Doctor Who is cannon?

• Brohoof 1

I'm sure someone's said this, and the entire discussion may be ignoring it to provide more thought, but haven't we already seen plenty of things happen to the Mane Six where they still survive? The whole cartoon immunity thing? Get hit over the head with a frying pan and be fine the next shot, get blown up and simply be covered in soot... the list of such things could go on. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm sure someone's said this, and the entire discussion may be ignoring it to provide more thought, but haven't we already seen plenty of things happen to the Mane Six where they still survive? The whole cartoon immunity thing? Get hit over the head with a frying pan and be fine the next shot, get blown up and simply be covered in soot... the list of such things could go on. 

Yeah that is a good point, after all, how many times was Daffy Duck shot point blank in the face with a shotgun?

I think though we are suspending such "cartoon physics" for this discussion.

Alicorns immune to bullets as in certain fan fictions?   OK, let's say for example Celestia is going for a walk in the Everfree Forest and there is a human sniper hidden in a bush with his sights on Celestia's head. He pulls the trigger... but she remains unaffected due to her alicorn body. What do you think of alicorns being immune to bullets thing that pops up quite a few fan fictions? 

That's actually a good question. So far it hasn't been determined whether or not Celestia or Luna can really be physically harmed that easily (Canterlot wedding doesn't count). The most you see on them is dirt markings and that's about it. However, the other 2 Alicorns Twilight and Cadance, I don't think they are full Alicorns. Meaning I don't think they share the same amount of power and immortality that Celestia and Luna have.