Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Were the Mane 5 already friends before Twilight?

MLPFanPony

Your Thoughts?  

24 users have voted

1. 1. Were the Mane 5 friends before Twilight?

• I don't think so.....
    • I think they were friends!

I can't call it, I've always liked to think that they were, but considering that Sweetie Belle and Applebloom had never met before Diamond Tiara's party (cutecenera? I got no idea how to spell that :lol:) - it suggests that they may not have been. I'd still like to think that perhaps AJ and Rainbow still competed against one another and that Rarity and Fluttershy were friends before - and of course Pinkie was friends with everypony  :pinkie:

• Brohoof 2

They might have known of each other, or perhaps were acquaintances, but I don't believe they were considered friends until Twilight came along. Because of their conflicting personalities, and because they didn't know the magic of friendship and all that jazz, they most likely didn't hang out. In earlier episodes, they had a much harder time getting along than they do now. For example, in Dragonshy, Rainbow was extremely impatient with Fluttershy and her many fears. She was quick to voice her anger. But just a season later, in Hurricane Fluttershy, she was trying to better understand Fluttershy's point of view and help her by encouraging her.

Another example is Applejack and Rarity in Look Before You Sleep. They didn't seem too fond of one another while by themselves and were easily annoyed by the other's actions. Fast forward to the fifth season and they are able to better tolerate and even appreciate their differences and their friendship is stronger than ever. In Sisterhooves Social, Applejack helped her immensely with patching up her relationship to Sweetie Belle. I could go on and on, but I think the point has been made. Learning the lessons they've learned has built a base for their relationship and it strengthens every episode.

• Brohoof 6

Some were, some weren't. Rarity and Applejack as well as Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie definitely weren't friends because they became friends during the time of the show. Rarity and Fluttershy were most likely friends previously. Considering how Pinkie trusted Rarity more than she trusted Twilight, I think Pinkie and Rarity were friends prior to that. Rainbow Dash and Applejack, I think were friends. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were friends. I'm not sure about the others. 

• Brohoof 1

The only one I can say for sure is Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, as Dash stood up for Fluttershy at the flight camp when they were younger.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten flight camp!

I can't call it, I've always liked to think that they were, but considering that Sweetie Belle and Applebloom had never met before Diamond Tiara's party (cutecenera? I got no idea how to spell that :lol:) - it suggests that they may not have been. I'd still like to think that perhaps AJ and Rainbow still competed against one another and that Rarity and Fluttershy were friends before - and of course Pinkie was friends with everypony  :pinkie:

The only one I can say for sure is Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, as Dash stood up for Fluttershy at the flight camp when they were younger.

There isn't really any proof of either. I don't think they were friends though. Like S.F. said, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle would have met if they knew each other.

You guys are right. But i know they were friends then drifted apart, then twi brought them back together in EG

• Brohoof 1

You guys are right. But i know they were friends then drifted apart, then twi brought them back together in EG

That is assuming that EG follows the same continuity as FIM - they are in a different setting and culture, and the school environment would force them to cross each others paths more often than they likely would in Ponyville

• Brohoof 2

Let's start with the obvious, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash have been friends since they were fillies. I feel like maybe Applejack already knew Rainbow, but more as competitive partners than friends. And I'm pretty sure everyone knew Pinkie Pie but just weren't as close to her as they are now.

Since Ponyville is a small town, I think everyone knew everyone just as acquaintances.

• Brohoof 2

I used to figure they weren't, but one day I was wandering through derpibooru's "Word of Faust" images... It seems on Twitter she says they were already friends, but may have become closer since Twilight came to town.

Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash obviously knew each other beforehand, but as for the rest they weren't already friends, before Twilight. I wonder if the Season 5 finale will feature a time travel where the mane 6 never met, that would be interesting.

I think they were only close as neighbors. After they realize how important their roles as the EoH brought them closer together.

Remember Twilight was from Canterlot on a golden chariot like a god so the mane 5 were eager to be her friend and Twilight was also responsible for the event they planned.

It's actually pretty clear from the earlier episodes of season one that they weren't close friends.  The first few episodes focus on them bonding in various combinations which wouldn't have been necessary if they were already close.

Even Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, who we know knew each other previously, seemed to have to build their friendship, which would suggest that they were not the best of friends before Twilight came to town.  We know that RD came to Fluttershy's aid when she was being bullied but there wasn't actually any real indication that they were especially good friends.  But even if they had been friends, it seems likely that they had lost touch and drifted apart after Fluttershy left Cloudsdale to live in Ponyville.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think they were. They seemed to be more of acquaintances to each other than friends. They've seen each other around town, but never stopped to have a meaningful conversation with one another. Even in many of the S1 episodes it seemed like the only ones who seemed to show a hint of friendship with each other were Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy (though how well they knew each other is debatable, despite Rainbow Dash defending Fluttershy at flight camp), and Rainbow Dash and Applejack. Pinkie Pie says she was friends with everypony in town, but she and Rainbow Dash didn't really become good friends until after that sour party with Gilda, and Applejack makes a few allusions to Pinkie's intelligence in "Swarm of the Century", and didn't really seem to be a real friend to her until after that. And we all notice how Applejack and Rarity weren't exactly close friends until the events of "Look Before You Sleep". I would have to say Twilight was the catalyst to them each expanding their own friendship, like the Princess of Friendship she is. 

• Brohoof 1

I really only think that Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were friends prior to when they were all brought together by Twilight. Rainbow Dash helped Fluttershy at Flight Camp. The rest didn't really seem to have that much of a connection with each other. Although I believe that they at least all knew Pinkie Pie, since Pinkie Pie seems to know everyone in town. They also probably had interactions with each other, but never really became "friends" per say, not until Twilight Sparkle came along.

• Brohoof 1

I really only think that Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were friends prior to when they were all brought together by Twilight. Rainbow Dash helped Fluttershy at Flight Camp. The rest didn't really seem to have that much of a connection with each other. Although I believe that they at least all knew Pinkie Pie, since Pinkie Pie seems to know everyone in town. They also probably had interactions with each other, but never really became "friends" per say, not until Twilight Sparkle came along.

Exactly what I was thinking, except I think they may have been good acquaintances, maybe through Pinkie Pie.

Edited by AnotherTigerGeekGuy

They knew each other but they were probably not very close. The subsequent episodes after the pilot showed them having to adjust to getting along with each other. Rainbow and Pinkie. Applejack and Rainbow. Applejack and Rarity. Everybody and Fluttershy.

Edited by Silver Letter

I think it's safe to say that the Mane Five were not exactly close friends, but they all knew each other and were on friendly terms. Remember, Ponyville is a small town where everypony knows everypony, especially if you're Pinkie Pie. We know for a fact that Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, who were both former Cloudsdale residents, have known each other since fillyhood. Similarly, it's been implied that Applejack and Pinkie Pie have known each other for some time, as Applejack mentions in Feeling Pinkie Keen - "Those of us who have been in Ponyville a while, have learned over time that, if Pinkie's-a-twichin', you better listen."

That being said, none of the ponies seemed particularly close in the early episodes. In Griffon the Brush Off, Rainbow Dash tells Pinkie that she's "not as annoying" as she thought which tells us that Dash was perhaps not overly fond of Pinkie before that episode. Applejack and Rarity can be seen having a friendly banter in said episode, but later in Look Before You Sleep, they have no desire to spend any time in each other's presence, a stark contrast to the Rarity and AJ we know now.

Neigh, I say it wasn't until Twilight came to Ponyville that all six of them really sort of united and found that special "spark" that created their powerful and everlasting friendships. :)

Well, Pinkie Pie did say in the pilot now Twilight has some new friends with all the other Mane Six members Twilight encountered in the first episode. And they seemed to know each other a bit. Not that new to one another. But it's possible it was just them Merton one another the first time acting all formal.

But when the Mane Six learn about the Elements of Harmony and and get ready to go to the Everfree Forest, they all seemed kinda causal together and not like strangers unlike how they were like with Twilight. So it's possible they're known each other before Twilight came into their lives and each other.

But we know for sure Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy did knew each other in the Cutie Mark Chronicles. So they could have been childhood friends or just simply were classmates.