Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight's Mane

VitalSpark

OK, so now for a very important topic. I think it's good that we're able to discuss critical issues like this here.

What side is Twilight Sparkle's pink streak on?

It usually appears to be on her left (our right), but occasionally randomly shows up on her right (our left).

For example, here's Twilight in Rarity's shop in Ticket Master, and her mane is on her right. Moments, later it's back to its usual spot.

post-30326-0-30959200-1421341684_thumb.png

post-30326-0-96879900-1421341695_thumb.png

OK, maybe that can be explained by the fact that she was in the process of shaking off her wet mane. But later on in the episode, we see her answering the door to Applejack with it on the right, and once she's out of the door being offered various apple treats, it's moved back to the other side!

post-30326-0-99408200-1421341633_thumb.png

post-30326-0-19595900-1421341670_thumb.png

So maybe, the animators just put the streak on whatever side is closest to the "camera"? No, that's not it either! It quite often appears behind her horn.

post-30326-0-70187800-1421342395_thumb.png

Also, just for fun, here's a picture of Twilight rocking the denched-as-a-rat look.

post-30326-0-57879100-1421341653_thumb.png

Edited by Vital Spark
  • Brohoof 4

I was originally going to say that you should pay attention more to the later seasons, since the first season tends to be the lower-budget, less-polished and more experimental in nature. Kind of like how after season 1 the backgrounds and background characters become a lot richer, and the animation becomes more lively and creative.

HOWEVER, I have located screenshots of princess Twilight with the stripe on either side, from the exact same angle. Like, if she's facing left, it can be on the left or right side of her horn. There isn't even a huge trend, as when I think it's dominantly drawn on her left, I'll find a sequence of shots with it dominantly on her right.

So yeah, personal preference, or whatever works at the time?

twilight_sparkle___in_your_face_by_aquar

*Example of what looks like a trend, but will be proven false elsewhere. Though honestly I'm showing this now because she's simply adorable.

Edited by SFyr
  • Brohoof 6

I believe the animators might be acting lazy and just not think critically about which side to keep it on. Or maybe they think that putting it on one side looks better during a certain moment. I have a figurine of her and its on her right, but perhaps that doesn't mean that it should automatically be on one side only.

• Brohoof 2

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CheatedAngle

I believe that's the long explanation. Its not really something that's unique to MLP, loads of animation evidently does it. I think in MLP's case though it's to make sure that the ponies' eyes or face isn't obscured by their hair. But as for Twilight's 'bacon streak' as it were I have no idea. I'm just gonna go with lazy animating. :P

• Brohoof 2

Doesn't Rainbow Dash's mane have a similar issue? The three streaks on the top of her head are orange in the center, yellow on the left, and red on the right. I think sometimes the red and yellow colors switch sides. 

• Brohoof 1

That's because the animators simply flip the vector image horizontally (that is, mirror-image it) when they want to show the other side of a pony. The same goes with cutie marks. It's cheaper than making a whole new pony puppet for the other side.

But if you seek for an internal explanation, then perhaps the streaks just flip over her horn, so they can be on any side, whichever looks better at the moment.

OR, they can represent some light reflections which have the specular color pink, so it depends on which direction the light drops on it?

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 4

Saving time is probably the biggest reason. The stripe on the wrong side really isn't that noticeable unless you are thinking about it when watching. I would rather they spend the time on movement/expressions than worrying about a hair stripe anyway.

• Brohoof 1

steve88, on 15 Jan 2015 - 7:25 PM, said:

unless you are thinking about it when watching

Yeah. Not many TV viewers think when watching these days...

Good that @ still does ;)

• Brohoof 1

You know, it's funny that the most OCD pony has the most OCD-bothering mane :lol:

But looking at various toys and plushies, left seems to be the most common. Her first appearance in the show, and the theme song, and the photo at the end of the theme song all have it on her left as well, so that's what I generally go with for the "true" side.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
That's because the animators simply flip the vector image horizontally (that is, mirror-image it) when they want to show the other side of a pony.

I don't think it's as simple as them having all their images of her facing the same side, and flipping them when they need to.

There are images of her facing the right of the screen with the pink streak on her right, and on her left. There are images of her facing the left side of the screen with the pink streak on her right, and on her left.

The same goes with cutie marks.

I'd always assumed that their cutie marks were supposed to be on both sides.

OR, they can represent some light reflections which have the specular color pink, so it depends on which direction the light drops on it?

That idea I like. Twilight Sparkle is best pony, therefore she deserves to have a magic beautiful mane that interplays with light.

Edited by Vital Spark
  • Brohoof 1

I don't see what's so hard about this, Fluttershy's mane is much more complicated, but they get that one right. The correct way is on her left. I hope they get it right in season 5.

Edited by MechanicalDoom

That's pretty to explain my friend.

You see, when such an "animation error" occurs, it's always connected with magic. Just think about it, it's Equestria. Magic surrounds these ponies. ;)

On closer examination, I can definitely say that this is an issue that Rainbow Dash as well. The red and yellow streaks on the top of her head alternate their positions every so often and camera angles don't have much to do with it.

When focused on the right side of her body, we most commonly see "Variation A", which is her yellow streak on the right (or bottom), and her red streak on the left (or top) like this: 

post-31053-0-78017600-1421399342.jpg

post-31053-0-16908400-1421402214.jpg

However, sometimes we get "Variation B", which is the yellow streak on the left (top), and the red streak on the right (bottom) like this: 

post-31053-0-75154700-1421399219.jpg

post-31053-0-24436000-1421402514.jpg

But as I said, Variation A is the one we see the most, which likely means that's the way her mane is actually supposed to be colored. However, this presents something of an issue when we start to view her from an alternate angle. It appears that when we view Rainbow Dash from the front, the yellow steak is commonly (if not always) on the right, while the red is on the left: 

post-31053-0-20871200-1421400355.jpg

post-31053-0-93383000-1421401371.jpg

post-31053-0-11720900-1421400504.jpg

Unfortunately, this is not compatible with Variation A, as when she turns to the right, we ought to see her yellow streak on the left/top, not the right/bottom. Therefore, Variation B ought to be the variation we see when she is turned to the right. And this particular view actually appears to be fairly consistent, since I can hardly find a single front view image of Rainbow Dash where the yellow streak is not on the right. 

So....yeah.... :wau:  

Edited by Cleverclover
  • Brohoof 1

It's either one of two things:

1. The animators are lazy.

2. She styles her mane and alternates it that way.

You know, it's funny that the most OCD pony has the most OCD-bothering mane :lol:

But looking at various toys and plushies, left seems to be the most common. Her first appearance in the show, and the theme song, and the photo at the end of the theme song all have it on her left as well, so that's what I generally go with for the "true" side.

Oh why does everything have to be so ironic!

On closer examination, I can definitely say that this is an issue that Rainbow Dash as well. The red and yellow streaks on the top of her head alternate their positions every so often and camera angles don't have much to do with it.

When focused on the right side of her body, we most commonly see "Variation A", which is her yellow streak on the right (or bottom), and her red streak on the left (or top) like this: 

attachicon.gifRainbow Dash 01.jpg

attachicon.gifRainbow Dash 7.jpg

However, sometimes we get "Variation B", which is the yellow streak on the left (top), and the red streak on the right (bottom) like this: 

attachicon.gifRainbow Dash 2.jpg

attachicon.gifRainbow Dash 8.jpg

But as I said, Variation A is the one we see the most, which likely means that's the way her mane is actually supposed to be colored. However, this presents something of an issue when we start to view her from an alternate angle. It appears that when we view Rainbow Dash from the front, the yellow steak is commonly (if not always) on the right, while the red is on the left: 

attachicon.gifRainbow Dash 3.jpg

attachicon.gifRainbow Dash 6.jpg

attachicon.gifRainbow Dash 5.jpg

Unfortunately, this is not compatible with Variation A, as when she turns to the right, we ought to see her yellow streak on the left/top, not the right/bottom. Therefore, Variation B ought to be the variation we see when she is turned to the right. And this particular view actually appears to be fairly consistent, since I can hardly find a single front view image of Rainbow Dash where the yellow streak is not on the right. 

So....yeah.... :wau:  

i'm too busy laughing at Dashie's expressions to notice her mane most of the time :3

Omigosh.  MLP manes are the most confusing things ever.  Especially when you try and sculpt them.  It's a lot tougher than you think, trying to picture what the manes look like from the back, how the two pieces connect, how the colors are continuous, etcetera.

In fact, I just did Twilight's mane.  I put the pink streak on her right, not much of an issue, but the mane sculpt still kinda sucked anyway.  :P

It's likely a case of them flipping the model to save money. Though you want to talk about confusing manes, Rarity's never wants to be consistent. Usually her curls are hanging over her opposite eye to the direction she's facing and over her shoulder.

Facing Right:

rarity_vector_by_stickxdude-d5r8rhi.jpg

Facing left:

rarity_vector_by_drfatalchunk-d4stn3z.pn

And then sometimes it just does this:

vector__rarity_11_by_estories-d7c1w30.pn

• Brohoof 1