Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

PacificGreen

I know some episodes like "The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well" are almost universally hated, as well as several of the Spike episodes (I myself actually enjoyed Spike At Your Service, though). But are there any that are practically universally adored by fans? Essentially, are there episodes that are widely considered the Parvum/Magnum Opuses of the series (if you don't know what those mean, look up TV Tropes)?

From what I've seen, a lot of people seem to like "Pinkie Pride" (for obvious reasons) and "The Cutie Mark Chronicles". I've seen "One Bad Apple" on someone's list of best episodes, but it also seems to be a well-disliked episode.

• Brohoof 1

Lesson Zero is one of my favorite episodes and probably a lot of people's too. The humor involved in Twilight's insanity was funny. But it also helped the show go from only Twilight writing the letters to Celestia (thus having to incorporate her into the plot every single time) to everyone writing letters allowing more freedom of writing a plot. Also, "Of all the worst possible things that could happen, this is THE. WORST. POSSIBLE. THING is funny.

Edited by MlpLifegoeson

I've seen the following loved a lot:

• Amending Fences
  • A Canterlot Wedding
  • The Cutie Map
  • The Cutie Mark Chronicles
  • Hurricane Fluttershy
  • Lesson Zero
  • Luna Eclipsed
  • Magic Duel
  • Maud Pie
  • Party of One
  • Pinkie Pride
  • Rarity Takes Manehatten
  • The Return of Harmony
  • Suited for Success
  • Sweet and Elite
  • Twilight's Kingdom

Most Rarity episodes are considered the best of the series.

Not that I've talked about this much but pretty sure everyone hates The Equestria Games. I get a feeling that lots of people hate 'Putting Your Hoof Down' but not sure why or if that's true, I really like it. I thought Mysterious Mare Do Well was fine as well.

I remember Mysterious Mare Do Well's aftermath more than the actual episode. I remember Equestria Daily making that insulting post about how people shouldn't get too critical of it because Hasbro actually reads their site and it could hurt their feelings more or less. To imply professionals would be crying over something like that...

Spike at Your Service was generally panned by the fandom, but I loved it. Same with Mare-Do-Well. That one was great. It seems that Princess Spike was also hated. I thought it was decent. Just for Sidekicks is underrated. Spike episodes usually don't get a lot of praise from the fandom.

Pinkie Pride is a mostly loved episode, but every time I watch it, I like it less. Not one of my favorites anymore. I don't think I even like it.

As for most popular ever, I'd say the most hated is Mare-Do-Well due to it being one of the first episodes that was widely panned while still being discussed to this day; in other words, its part of the Brony "lore" at this point. The most liked would have to be either Party of One or Lesson Zero. Never heard any complaints about those episodes, at least from the fandom.

Edited by Rivendare

Some episodes I always hear talked about in a good way would be Suited for Success for finally showcasing Rarity, Luna Eclipsed for Luna, Cutie Mark Chronicles, Hurricane Fluttershy, Sleepless in Ponyville (Dreamwalking Luna), Twilight's Kingdom for Twilight VS Tirek DBZ style, Winter Wrap Up, Pinkie Pride and Return of Harmony. A lot of people seemed to also like Lesson Zero and Make New Friends, But Keep Discord, but personally I didn't like either of those episodes.

Some of the more universally disliked or contested episodes that I've heard (besides Mysterious Mare Do Well) include Daring Don't (to the point many would ignore its existence), Keep Calm and Flutter On (For "supposedly" ruining Discord's character), Princess Spike (For stupid Spike), Spike at Your Service (Stupid Spike again) and Rainbow Falls (for out of character Pegasi).   

There are episodes that do tend to have universally liked and hated episodes. It's due to multiple factors like what big events happened in the episode, what characters are in it and what the reviews for it generally are.

I don't think just because an episode is universally liked or hated means you have to automatically agree with them. What others think doesn't factor my opinion on an episode. I consider so many episodes overhated and a few episodes overrated for that reason. 

• Brohoof 1

Princess Spike was liked by nearly no one. They just didn't know where they wanted to go with it and by the end expect you to feel for Spike. 

This is kinda beside the point, and I outlined this in another thread, but I felt that this episode just stretched the Idiot Plot too far (would it be too hard to close the window, Spike? :P) and the fact that the moral of the story wasn't really supported by what happened in the episode.

I think most disliked episodes had at least one redeeming plot point, but I can't really think of anything good plot-wise that came out of this. I do like the introduction of the new ponies, though. 

So yeah, those are kinda why particularly disliked the episode.

• Brohoof 1

Not that I've talked about this much but pretty sure everyone hates The Equestria Games. I get a feeling that lots of people hate 'Putting Your Hoof Down' but not sure why or if that's true, I really like it. I thought Mysterious Mare Do Well was fine as well.

I enjoyed PYHD, too, as I think it enforced a much-needed moral that isn't brought up enough in kids' entertainment. I think assertiveness vs agressiveness is an important thing to learn in the preteen/teen years.

Luna Eclipsed (totally not biased btw), Mysterious Mare Do Well and A Canterlot Wedding. I could say that I also enjoyed Twilight's Kingdom but it would just be due to the action present in the episode and the character of Tirek.

Usually, at least from what I've seen, the classic from the first two season are generally unchallenged, ones like Hurricane Fluttershy, Lesson Zero, Return of Harmony and others.  By seasons 3-5 even the more popular ones are more contested, even ones such as Pinkie Pride, (which I like but not to the fandom's degree) 

I know many like Lesson Zero, (I personally thought it was awful), and ones like Sonic Rainboom, Party of One, and a few others are known to be up there. I also know some hate Mysterious Mare Do Well (I actually liked it) and a few Spike episodes. I haven't gone back and re-watched many of them so I don't really remember which ones were the good and bad ones.

Besides that? Are there any others?

A Dog and Pony Show was also fairly well-liked. Quite a few people also liked Just For Sidekicks when it first aired, though for some reason after a while everyone started hating it. Inspiration Manifestation was also fairly well received. And Equestria Games seems to be very well received as long as you ignore the people throwing a hissy-fit over the lack of the actual Equestria Games itself

EDIT: Forgot Power Ponies, that one has some really mixed reception(which I never got, thought the episode was really fun as well as a great episode for Spike)

Edited by Gattai
  • Brohoof 1

I heard alot of people saying that Sonic Rainboom was one of their top 5 episodes, even to this day. I never understood why though. I thought it was solid, but not instant classic material.

mmmystery on the friendship express was also disliked by most people, which i can't understand. It wasn't the best episode, but the movie references made my inner movie fan cheer. Also, i liked the interaction between Pinkie and Twilight.

Discord and Pinkie Pie episodes are still the most liked.

And as most of us say; Princess Spike is still considered as the destroyer of Spike's character and mostly disliked.

Edited by Limeblossom

Could do without most Spike episodes honestly. I don't mind him as a supplementary character, but when he becomes a primary focus is when his logic or behaviour tends to grate on me.

Episodes I think were done exceptionally well are the original pilot, and the Return of Harmony 2-parter to kick off s2.

On that note, I'm not a fan of most Discord episodes, but that stems mostly from me disliking Discord (should do a blog post on that someday).

• Brohoof 1