Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Infamous fan fictions with a large hatedom?

Bendy

Tvtropes: Hatedom

How many infamous (well known) fan fictions are in this fandom that have a large hatedom? 

Fan fictions that are hated so much they inspire hate fics/revenge fics and massive argument often break out between the supporters of said story and those who hate it.

I know The Conversion Bureau... but what else is generally hated by a large number of people?  

Edited by Bendy

With all the talk surrounding cupcakes when it was the only thing anyone would mention, I assumed it'd be this huge hit that everyone loved, but I got nothing but negative answers when I asked what it was about or if I should read it.

Edited by Mothra

Fall of Equestria, basically a misogynist's wet dream. 

Most of the infamously Grimdark fics like Cupcakes, Cheerilee's Garden and Rainbow Factory have just as many people who despise them as like them.

• Brohoof 1

Most of the infamously Grimdark fics like Cupcakes, Cheerilee's Garden and Rainbow Factory have just as many people who despise them as like them.

I know what Cupcakes is, but the others, less so.

I want to know more, but at the same time, I don't...

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty much any fanfiction that becomes significantly popular becomes hated by a large group of people. It's the same with any piece of entertainment. Regardless of the quality, the more people who are exposed to it, the more people there will be that didn't like it. And as the number of people who dislike it grows, the higher chance there is that some of those people are the kind to blow it out of proportions. The same is said for the contrary, too. The more people who like something, the more likely that some of them will become seriously devoted to it.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't be too sure about that, you would be surprised how many things some people will masturbate to but not actually do in real life. Fetishes can be tricky little bastards. But yes when I think of hatedom's Fall of Equestria is the first name that tends to come to mind for me, I am not into that but have a friend who is that would never actually do any of that stuff in real life and is not a mysogynist. You are right on about various gorefics being just as loved as they are hated, there are plenty of people that wanted Seargent Sprinkles head for writing Cupcakes but there are various others like me that find that fic hilarious.

Other fics that have a hatedom are "Anon" fics because a lot of them tend to be chock full of Mary Sue/Gary Stu characters with very little actual development or creativity, I will admit I have read some in the past but only as clop fuel though I eventually got bored even of that. Displaced stories which are various crossover stories that share the common theme of someone from the real world ending up in Equestria as a character from various different series have gotten a lot of hate as well. They have been criticized for being extremely unoriginal and a bit Gary Stu/Mary Suish though as someone who has read some while that does apply to some of them there are actually some decent ones as well.

Clopfics and clop in general have a rather large hatedom for reasons I will never understand as I am yet to see anything like this in any other fandom except for furries (though it is mostly outsiders that hate on that), foalcon has one as well though that was much less of a surprise to me. 

With all the talk surrounding cupcakes when it was the only thing anyone would mention, I assumed it'd be this huge hit that everyone loved, but I got nothing but negative answers when I asked what it was about or if I should read it.

It is a rather infamous gorefic though why it got so much hate in particular is a mystery to me because though it is indeed gory there are some other fics out there that make even that seem tame. Without giving too much away it contains graphic gratuitous torture, disembowelment, cannibalism and a lot of jokes and puns at the end about blood, guts and internal organs. I wouldn't recommend reading it if you are sensitive to graphic, violent content.

Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons

-Unnecessarily high amounts of dark and gritty

-Discomforting adult themes up the wazoo

-It's so long you need the attention span of a dozen Twilight Sparkles to get through it all

-Quite a bit of retconning

-The characters aren't really that greatly written

*sits back and waits for the hate*

Edited by Unicorncob
  • Brohoof 1