Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do people feel about Human-in-Equestria fan fiction?

DoctorWhovian1902

In light of a recent post made in Sugarcube Corner (http://mlpforums.com/topic/49242-the-fandom-and-its-downfall/), a question resurfaced in my mind that I've been wondering about for a while now. What's the general consensus on HiE fics? Same with PoE ones, does anyone actually like them?

I've been under the impression that it's commonly looked down upon, but I personally like the stories a lot. In fact, to be completely honest, they're my favorite category of the stories. But what do you guys think about them?

• Brohoof 1

It is looked down upon by some people that is true and part of it is because alot of them fall into the trap of becoming cliches and have a tendency to repeat themselves but there are plenty of ones that are interesting and well written. I have seen some concepts that seem pretty strange and random actually work well in some fanfics so those type of fics in particular don't bother me.

• Brohoof 1

I know that HIE is Humans in Equestria, but is POE Ponies on Earth?

I have yet to read a Humans in Equestria fanfiction, but I'm sure that if they are written well, and approached with an open mind they can be good.  The 80s TV series actually did have humans in sometimes, and I personally thought they worked up until a point.

My favorite fanfiction is a Pony on Earth one - my second favorite pony is sent to Earth (she's also made younger) and looked after by a human.  I'm sure it's a hated fanfiction, but I adore it.

• Brohoof 1

I know that HIE is Humans in Equestria, but is POE Ponies on Earth?

I have yet to read a Humans in Equestria fanfiction, but I'm sure that if they are written well, and approached with an open mind they can be good.  The 80s TV series actually did have humans in sometimes, and I personally thought they worked up until a point.

My favorite fanfiction is a Pony on Earth one - my second favorite pony is sent to Earth (she's also made younger) and looked after by a human.  I'm sure it's a hated fanfiction, but I adore it.

First, yes PoE is "Ponies on Earth".

Secondly, thanks for your word on the topic!

Lastly, care to elaborate on those stories you mentioned? I'd love to read some (although I have an idea what the second one could be).

First, yes PoE is "Ponies on Earth".

Secondly, thanks for your word on the topic!

Lastly, care to elaborate on those stories you mentioned? I'd love to read some (although I have an idea what the second one could be).

You're welcome.

I only mentioned one story, and if you're interested it's called My Little Dashie. I appologise to all haters for mentioning it, but there's just something about it I really love... :(

• Brohoof 2

You're welcome.

I only mentioned one story, and if you're interested it's called My Little Dashie. I appologise to all haters for mentioning it, but there's just something about it I really love... :(

I figured the story was MLD, and don't worry, I love that story too. In fact, it's the reason I became a brony (but that's another story for another time).

You mentioned two fanfics, though, so what was the other one?

• Brohoof 1

I figured the story was MLD, and don't worry, I love that story too. In fact, it's the reason I became a brony (but that's another story for another time).

You mentioned two fanfics, though, so what was the other one?

Really, that's awesome. :)

I'm afraid I only mentioned MLD, but I think I know how I confused you; I said "my favorite fanfiction" when describing MLD, and I then mentioned "my second favorite pony" - did you missread that as "my second favorite fanfiction", I appologise if you did.

The problem for me is that they (HiE stories) have a harder time being belivable. In the words of Tolkien, “The moment disbelief arises, the spell is broken; the magic, or rather art, has failed”. I imagine that if it is written well enough, the story can still be very good though; putting humans into your story is just makes things a bit tougher. That's my view anyway. 

• Brohoof 1

Really, that's awesome. :)

I'm afraid I only mentioned MLD, but I think I know how I confused you; I said "my favorite fanfiction" when describing MLD, and I then mentioned "my second favorite pony" - did you missread that as "my second favorite fanfiction", I appologise if you did.

*Rubs back of own head*

Yeah...I kind of did misread that. Anyways, don't be afraid to mention MLD for fear of haters. Yes, people do have their opinions on the story, but you won't see "haters" here. I can't find the image on Google, but insert the image here of the Mane 6 captioned with "You came to the right neighborhood, friend."

The problem for me is that they (HiE stories) have a harder time being belivable. In the words of Tolkien, “The moment disbelief arises, the spell is broken; the magic, or rather art, has failed”. I imagine that if it is written well enough, the story can still be very good though; putting humans into your story is just makes things a bit tougher. That's my view anyway. 

Well, thanks for your view. I'll keep that in mind...

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not a huge fan of them because having ponies and humans interacting just feels really unnatural and weird to me, plus a large number of them fall into the same patterns until they all seem more or less identical.

There was one fic with humanized ponies that was actually one of the best things I've ever read though. It was really depressing :( :(

Edited by DashForever

HiE are generally despised cause a large portion of them are poorly written uninspired and uninteresting self-inserts.

And then there's people who genuinely dislike the genre.

Personally, I don't like humans at all, so I give meh to this kind of fic :P

I read Anthropology though, and I enjoyed it. (Well, it's a popular one)

• Brohoof 1

Ponies on Earth? One fic convinced me fanfictions were worthwhile at all: My Little Dashie.

Now I love to read them.

Either way, I don't think anybody should look down on anything in the fandom, sure it may not be your bag, it may not even be GOOD at all, but somebody enjoys it, or is using it as a form of expression.

Somebody is putting themselves out there to try and show a part of themselves to the fandom, and I don't think looking down on something like that is a nice thing to do.

Edited by Barbossa
  • Brohoof 2

HiE are generally despised cause a large portion of them are poorly written uninspired and uninteresting self-inserts.

You probably didn't mean to but this statement brings up something I wasn't considering at first; this problem may be self-fulfilling. What I mean by that is that since people generally expect the stories to be bad it adds validity to the above statement.

Example; I pick up a fan fic thinking "Humans in Equestria? These are always bad", after I finish reading it, if it's bad I think "I called it. They're always terrible", if it's good it's merely an exception to the rule. Since the general view is that the stories are bad, not many people want to write "bad stories" and avoid the idea entirely. I'm sure there are plenty of bad fanfics that don't have HiE or PoE but I guess those are a little harder to generalize.

Again this post is not targeted at you, your post just brought up the question in my mind is all.

• Brohoof 1

You probably didn't mean to but this statement brings up something I wasn't considering at first; this problem may be self-fulfilling. What I mean by that is that since people generally expect the stories to be bad it adds validity to the above statement.

Example; I pick up a fan fic thinking "Humans in Equestria? These are always bad", after I finish reading it, if it's bad I think "I called it. They're always terrible", if it's good it's merely an exception to the rule. Since the general view is that the stories are bad, not many people want to write "bad stories" and avoid the idea entirely. I'm sure there are plenty of bad fanfics that don't have HiE or PoE but I guess those are a little harder to generalize.

Again this post is not targeted at you, your post just brought up the question in my mind is all.

There are bad fanfics in every genre.

What I mean is that if some random teen writes his awesome adventures in Equestria where he becomes the best friend of the mane6 and save the world three times and everyone loves him because he's awesome, it's tagged HiE, and people who think lazily will put this idea on every HiE fic.

Anyway, I agree with you (my post wasn't a personal opinion, just what I observed)

Edited by Akihiro
  • Brohoof 3

I love Human in Equestria fictions! I have read a ton of them and I don't understand why they receive negative attention. I don't really like Ponies on Earth fics though because usually they're too gory for my tastes.

Gory? I don't remember seeing any gory PoE stories in my time...

Anyways, it's good to see someone who shares my opinion on the genres. Brohoof to you. /)

I hate humans! How could anyone ever even think of liking humans, they are the worst species in the universe and I would hate to be one personally!

0.o

Yeah...

• Brohoof 1

I like every single fanfiction in existence it seems, I don't know why. But I like the thought of being a human and escaping to another world, explaining why I like HiE a lot

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I really like HiE, but despise BiE (Brony in Equestria) just because they are purely wish fulfillment, cheesy and completely unbelievable. If someone can show me a good BiE then that would be greatly appreciated, because I just can't see it working.

Currently, I'm writing two HiE fics. One is where the Soldier from TF2 is transported to Equestaria and begins to build up his own personal army by recruiting the CMC and Spike. The point of this fic is mainly comedy, so it doesn't really have to make sense.

The other fic is a twist on the normal 'wish-fulfillment' HiE. The protagonist gets transported to Equestria, but finds it ruled by an empire of tyrannical, emotionless humans, which leads to a lot of problems when it comes to interacting with the ponies. The point of this fic is to be dark, as well as bring up a lot of questions about (shudder) misanthropy. It would be best that this fic made sense considering its supposed to be serious.

The trick with HiE is to try and make interactions between pony and human believable, as well as bringing something new to the table. No easy feat considering how many of them have been written. I'm not claiming to be original, but I do try my best.

• Brohoof 2

Human in Equestria fics are not bad in themselves, the real problem that i have noticed is that sometimes the character is very OP or the way they got into Equestria is well, silly. I do not mind the dimensional rift stuff really, as long as there is effort put into its execution.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I really like HiE, but despise BiE (Brony in Equestria) just because they are purely wish fulfillment, cheesy and completely unbelievable. If someone can show me a good BiE then that would be greatly appreciated, because I just can't see it working.

*Folds arms*

Challenge accepted. If you can just wait a month or two, I should have one that'll keep your interest...

Also, your darker fic sounds really interesting. Is it already posted on a site? If so, link me up?

• Brohoof 1

While i would not want to squander someone's idea and vision, the HiE fan fics tend to be very similar. I think that a few of them are very well written. But for me the whole reason why i find fan fic's interesting is because we know what being a human is like. If i got the opportunity to go to Equestria i wouldn't want to be a human anymore. But i wont knock the idea because someone else thinks its interesting.

• Brohoof 1

*Folds arms*

Challenge accepted. If you can just wait a month or two, I should have one that'll keep your interest...

Also, your darker fic sounds really interesting. Is it already posted on a site? If so, link me up?

Unfortunately, no. Currently It's still in the works, but I'll drop you a link as soon as I get the first few chapters up!

Oh and good luck with BiE. You'll need it, trust me.

• Brohoof 1