Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is twilight Autistic?

ShadowFoxz

Check this screen cap

o5DjyBi.png

What do you think about what the Red person is saying?

I think they bring a good point, it's possible that early twilight was maybe on the autism spectrum. If you think critically it's not that outlandish to say that's it is a possibility and that those earlier episodes were meant to have the hidden theme/message that it's okay to be alone/reserved however theres no shame in stepping into the social world even if you don't want to or don't like it. 

What do you guy's think, is it possible that early twilight was on the spectrum?

Edited by Melly

Eh. I think her behavior can be explained easily enough by personality, situation of upbringing, and values. Obsessive organization and high intellect, but low social skills is believable if your hero or family believes in excellence, and you grow up in relative isolation.

I was homeschooled, and some of the circumstances helped me be who I am, and I'm pretty awkward/unaware socially, as well as academic focused to the exclusion of people sometimes. :)

• Brohoof 8

Autism seems to be a pretty broad term; maybe it could be applied to Twilight...I'm not sure.

Pretty much every pony on that show is crazy in one form or another, but they still love each other, and we still love them :)

I don't think she has autism personally.  I've never been tested for autism but I'm 90% sure that I land somewhere along the spectrum.  Many people avoid talking to me because my mind can instantly switch from one topic to another. 

And I'm most certainly not ignorant to social norms, but I'd rather not converse with ignorant people that spout ignorant statements, since that tends to irk me.  I never talked to anyone in middle/high school because no one ever understood my stances on certain things.  And now that I'm in college I'd have to say that it's pretty much the same scenario, just a bit more tame.

• Brohoof 1

This is something i wrote in one of my earliest blogs, where i analyzed the Mane 6 psychological behavior.

"Her character throughout the first season and into the second was one that was relatively reclusive, untrusting, and bookish. She felt a huge obligation towards getting things done right, and getting them done on time. These are all symptoms of Avoidant Personality Disorder, a mental imbalance characterized by actively avoiding social contact, out of fear of being ridiculed. People (or in this case, ponies) with AvPD aren't afraid of social interaction, per say; they simply believe they're any good at it, and would just make things bad on themselves and others. They do however generally strive for a social life, which it is shown that Twilight did in fact wish for at the end of the season 1 opener. Victims of AvPD use fantasy or unorthodox habits as a form of escapism, which Twilight exhibits frequently with her profound love for reading and her not-so-slight OCD. Though they are withdrawn, they read a lot into body language and intonation, more often than not coming to a pessimistic conclusion. At first glance, you wouldn't believe Twilight to exhibit this, but she shows it blatantly in Lesson Zero, where she fears that Princess Celestia -- arguably the only pony Twilight trusts completely aside from her brother -- would send her back to Magic Kindergarten. Therefore, it can be concluded that Twilight had been slightly traumatized during her years in Kindergarten, likely the result of bullying and ridicule."

Sorry for the wall of text. :P

• Brohoof 5

, yo, just letting you know that I've moved your thread to the Show Discussion section since it concerns a canon character.

As for the question, I'm not qualified to say one way or another. I do think her personality and initial struggles with connecting to others can be explained well-enough by her childhood. Spending years in an environment meant to foster academic excellence, without much contact with anybody bar possibly her brother (and Spike I suppose) seems like a perfect recipe for an anxious, detail-oriented nerd.

• Brohoof 2

Autism is a neurological disorder that may be the reason for certain personality traits in some people, but twilight has perfect reason for being who she is as a normal person. Nothing really stands all that much out that she is autistic other then stereotypical things any normal person can have.  All most none of you guys even know that much about psychology or how to diagnose mental illnesses and conditions, and think you're wikiapedia reading and stereotypical idea of autism would be enough, where if we went by that half the world is autistic. 

Edited by flutersparkle

I guess derpy she seems unaware of her situations and recognizes people's feelings less then most others I guess ,but it can be other things then that or she's just a idiot.

Edited by flutersparkle

I don't see her that way, but she could be. I've taken care of many mentally disabled people over the years and have seen many different people on the spectrm, but I've never seen anyone like Twili. That said I do not fit on the spectrm and I'm pretty similar to her.

Her symptoms are pretty similar to mine, and I have Borderline Asperger's. So I would say she also has Borderline Asperger's. Though I don't think it's canon. It's believed that Twilight, Maud, and Pinkie all fit in the autistic spectrum. Yes, they are all different. No, none of them are confirmed to be autistic. If they are confirmed, it would show just how broad the autistic spectrum is. Autism is different for everyone. 

I know this is about Twilight, so my answer is that she's autistic in my headcanon, but that doesn't mean she's autistic. 

• Brohoof 1

Hmm... possibly, but it would be very mild. She shows some signs, but it would be vary easy to argue that a person can show those same signs just because of their personality, not because of a mental condition. I say it is up to personal interpretation. 

Maybe, and maybe not.

Whether she has it or not does change the type of pony or person that she is, and if people with autism can draw some inspiration from her than I don't see the harm in thinking that. I would not go as far to call it canon though.

As people have pointed out earlier autism has a broad range of behavior so in a sense Twilight can fall into this category rather easy, but it does not mean that she has it. 

Edited by UnknownFry
  • Brohoof 1

No she isn't. She does however show clear signs of having Obessive Complusive Personality Disorder due to her being so reliant on lists and books when we first meet her and how bent out of shape she gets if all her maticuiously planned lists don't go according to plan XD

Edited by Malinter
  • Brohoof 2

Autism seems to be getting broader every year. Nowadays it seems any person or cartoon character with intelligence that is a little compulsive must have Autism or Aspergers, I don't think it's the case with Twilight, more likely just OCD and Anxiety issues, which can exist independent of Autism.

• Brohoof 2

No she isn't. She does however show clear signs of having Obessive Complusive Personality Disorder due to her being so reliant on lists and books when we first meet her and how bent out of shape she gets if all her maticuiously planned lists don't go according to plan XD

As someone who suffers from OCD I can confirm that Twilight's behavior is more inline with having an obsessive compulsion rather than being autistic.  Being shy and socially awkward is common in psychologically stable people so it isn't a very good gauge as to autism, especially if a person grows out of it.  I did and so did Twilight.

But obsessive compulsions are something you're just stuck with unless you take some heavy behavioral correction courses.  In Twilight's case, as well as my own, meticulous organizational tendencies and a strict adherence to schedule/routine is actually more beneficial than harmful.