Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If bronies evolved into a political movement..

4april

I was recently wondering, if (and only if) bronies evolved into a political movement what ideals would we stand for and what would we do. Perhaps I will then combine the ideas into a Brony Manifesto blog post.

Could be something which the show depicts or which you think bronies value.

Here are some which I came up with:

• gender equality
  • decentralisation of power
  • gay rights
  • (ran out of ideas)

P.S: Do not freak out. I am not saying we now are involved in politics. Just curious to know how a brony manifesto would look.

I really doubt it would ever work regardless, and those bullet points don't seem like ones all bronies would agree upon

Sad to say I've seen plenty of bronies even on this site who are pretty cold to the whole gay thing, be it for misguided beliefs or what have you. 

Also we watch a show about Monarchs whom have seemingly absolute authority in equestria, so I'm not sure how we would have Decentralization of power as part of our mission statement. 

I'm not sure what bronies WOULD stand for on a political platform, that would require a common ground beyond a television show that at least most would share. 

• Brohoof 2

Also we watch a show about Monarchs whom have seemingly absolute authority in Equestria, so I'm not sure how we would have Decentralization of power as part of our mission statement. 

I agree about that. But should we really choose monarchy just because it is in the show? It would be fun and all but we have to remember that Equestria is ruled by OP god-like creatures that are not corrupted by money and power and rule fairly... It's practically impossible to find a politician like this nowadays if not impossible...  

P.S. I like your avatar pic...It's amazing. :love:  It's very creepy... That smile reminds me of the Major from Hellsing Ultimate. He had the same creepy smile and those eyes stare at you from the screen...

• Brohoof 2

If the brony fandom could become a political movement, what would stop other, more established fandoms from doing the same? Would the bronies have to compete with Trekkies, Jedi, furries, and more? What if you are a part of these fandoms, before you were a brony, would you be forced to choose one loyalty? Finally, what if anti-bronies started their own political movement, what sort of damage could it do? Brony is not a umbrella term, we do not believe in the same things, we are spread out all over the globe, we come from different generations, and have more important things to do, than live life according to a TV show or fan base. Bronies are divided too, it's the tiny details that makes the difference, Lunar Republic versus Solar Empire, for example, to those who buy into the fan fiction, so any good political strategist could exploit subtle dissent, at best politics is an exercise in polarity, who ever has the best balance, and stable platform, that anyone one can follow will succeed. Bronies are better as a fandom, not a political movement, we can be active in independent activism, but we can not mess together something we like, between something we must do, to achieve general welfare, you can't have both, I can here for the ponies not phonies.  

No, oh God no.

Last thing I need is someone trying to push an agenda through a show.

Edited by Guest

I think I might disagree with that fellow comrade ( :pinkie:  ) . I think to be a brony is much more than simply liking the show. My little sister watches and like mlp, but this doesn't mean she is a brony. One has to truly see the magic inside of it and by so, change the very way he sees the world. A brony knows the importance of friendship and stuff and if reunited, is more prone to do good deeds. Bronies are affected by the magic of friendship they experienced from the show, and it change them into a better person. Hitler in this case would be just a "fan" because a true brony would never do things like he did. A brony tries to live as if he would in equestria, where equality and friendship are pillars of the society...

So... Is this a case of "No true Scotsman"?

• Brohoof 3

It would probably make more sense than some real world political manifestos that I have seen.... XD

I wouldn't be too sure about that, there are a lot of political manifestos that have done a great deal of harm but even ones that are well intended have done some damage. I would say over 90% of political idealogies have done more harm than good for the simple reason of they put far too much power in the hands of far too few people.

You are sure about it? What would christians bronies say about it?

That is precisely the reason why I don't think government should be involved in marriage at all, of course it will  take forever for a society "brony" or otherwise to come to their sense enough to reach that conclusion.

Banning all hate speech groups like the Westboro Baptist Church, Australian Defence League, Black Supremacy groups

Sounds good in theory, but that could result in the unintended consequence of legitimate speech being branded as "hate" speech and therefore censored both through mob rule or through government wanting to censor opinions inconvenient to it. You don't eliminate hate by turning it into a thought crime.

You'd be surprised. I've seen people vote for both a dog and a penguin for a political office, purely to show how dissatisfied they are with their current council/goverment. XD

They are doing that more out of disgust for the current system than anything though if anything such disgust would at best translate into people voting for the "brony party" to vote against the "other guys" much like how people are voting for and planning to vote for "deez nuts". It is not a good way to build a strong political movement that will last or have any hope of breaking the two party system.

I agree about that. But should we really choose monarchy just because it is in the show? It would be fun and all but we have to remember that Equestria is ruled by OP god-like creatures that are not corrupted by money and power and rule fairly... It's practically impossible to find a politician like this nowadays if not impossible...  

P.S. I like your avatar pic...It's amazing. :love:  It's very creepy... That smile reminds me of the Major from Hellsing Ultimate. He had the same creepy smile and those eyes stare at you from the screen...

Lets face it, no Human could rule for that length of time and not turn utterly corrupt. I'm not exactly into misanthropy but I'll tell you I'd be one corrupt son of a b*tch before the turn of the century much less a millennium. I brought up the monarchy bit because our show of choice is simply NOT in line with the politics of the U.S or many western nations, and having bronies as a legitimate political party would eventually have that brought onto the table. 

And thank you, I've had it as my internet face for quite some time, mostly on Youtube. 

• Brohoof 1

In this hypothetical case, here's what would happen:

There would be a lot of infighting and debating over how to handle certain issues because not everyone in the fandom shares the same political ideology (If we did, then the Debate Pit wouldn't exist).

The political party would split into many separate political ideologies after all the fighting.

So basically America.

• Brohoof 2

This fandom can't even get along over their preferences of fucking characters in the show. What makes you think they'll ever work as a competent political group that can be taken seriously?

Edited by ChicksDigGiantRobots
  • Brohoof 4

Sounds like a utopia? I heard people other than bronies did that, but none of them succeed because of the shortage of resources or motivation to work. Building an Equestria seems great to me, but I doubt how long this can last. Our humans are not fully evolved for the Utopias like Equestria, technologically or psychologically.

Good luck. The brony fandom is more divided ideologically than you might suspect. There may be just a few things that bronies would find overwhelming consensus in (or perhaps even this is naive) but the more ground you cover, the greater the chance stepping on boundaries that a greater share of the population is uncomfortable with.

Go on over into the Debate Pit and look in any thread that's been locked. Over time you might come to realize what rustles our jimmies. One topic I could name right off the top of my head would be gun ownership and I will tell you straight away that I will not participate in any society where guns are in high demand. Ever.

I suspect a Brony "ideology", like a Brony "religion" as some have suggested, would be semi-coherent at best, self-gratifying and obnoxious at worst. A shared interest in MLP doesn't define an ideology much if at all. "Love and tolerate" is so vague as to be meaningless in terms of actual practice. The primary identifying feature for Bronies would be aesthetic rather than a fleshed out political philosophy.

The fandom is best served to avoid defining an ideology for itself, lest we presume we're especially unique on the political spectrum.

• Brohoof 3