Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rarity: A stuck-up fashionista that makes dresses no one cares about.

Silver Stream.

Rarity shows to be a mystery fan in both the show and the comics. In the show, she is a fan of Shadow Spade and even acts like her to help Rainbow Dash. In the comics, Rarity saves her friends by pulling them into a mystery novel with her imagination. So we know there's more to her than just fashion. 

What? People look up to these ponies?

Why shouldn't they? Excellent, likeable fictional characters are often building blocks and role models for thousands of people, especially kids. Rarity is the best-written and most complex of the Mane Six and easily one of the most likeable, so it makes sense for her to be a role model to some.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

And all I can say is OUCH OUCH OUCH! If I didn't know any better, I'd say the writers literally used every insult about Rarity and Pinkie Pie from the fandom and mashed them together in this one scene. Because I truly believe this is how many people feel. 

Rarity and Pinkie Pie are my least favourite as they have character traits and goals that I find dislikeable  and objectionable, but I certainly don't hate them (or even dislike them) by any stretch of the imagination. What gets me about Rarity is not that she does fashion work and whatnot (being a self-employed business owner is a very respectable position) but because she wants to be famous and popular, which is a life goal that I do not identify or sympathise with and I have little patience for. It doesn't make her a bad pony, but it does mean that I don't care whether she succeeds or not. Thankfully, she is a fairly well-rounded individual and does many good and worthwhile things, so it's not a big issue.

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Rarity and Pinkie Pie are my least favourite as they have character traits and goals that I find dislikeable  and objectionable, but I certainly don't hate them (or even dislike them) by any stretch of the imagination. What gets me about Rarity is not that she does fashion work and whatnot (being a self-employed business owner is a very respectable position) but because she wants to be famous and popular, which is a life goal that I do not identify or sympathise with and I have little patience for. It doesn't make her a bad pony, but it does mean that I don't care whether she succeeds or not. Thankfully, she is a fairly well-rounded individual and does many good and worthwhile things, so it's not a big issue.

I respect your opinion, but I will point out that popularity is not her life goal. The episode "Canterlot Boutique" says it loud and clear in both her song, and her willingness to close her shop. Her goal is to be the best designer she can be make other ponies happy by making them feel good in what she creates. If fame and popularity was her main goal, then she would've allowed Sassy Saddles do her thing and turn her work into a strict business that lacks quality, care, and uniqueness. The "Rules of Rarity" as she said. Rarity values her work more than she values the business aspect of what she does.

Even in the episode "Sweet and Elite" where she tried to maintain popularity, it wasn't for fame in the long run. Notice, she only acts like that the moment they turn down buying something from her just because she was from ponyville and was afraid she'd never expand what she truly sees as "high quality clothing" to the highest society in Equestria: Canterlot. Numerous times, she does get lost in her work, but in the end she risks sacrificing her business for the sake of her friends and values. 

And to be honest, though it isn't her life goal, popularity is actually crucial in her career field. You have to get in the "know" with all the important ponies that could help upsell her business and what she is trying to achieve.

As for Pinkie Pie, I wish many were like her. Her goals might not be the most reasonable but it is something that is needed. Making people happy, should always be on the list for anybody since happiness is such a rare thing to have these days. To enjoy what you do makes the job even better. Pinkie Pie works at the bakery with the Cake Family but also throws parties which...despite that not being executed...really IS a good business in real life. Pinkie is annoying, I admit, and she may be too childish for many people, but what she strives for might be the most important thing in the world. She's silly and crazy in general due to personal issues I believe the writers are either hiding or not covering well, but despite this, she's what keeps ponyville in high spirits. High spirits leads to committed workers which leads to happy customers which leads to a booming community.  

Edited by Princess Sunset
  • Brohoof 1

If Rarity cared so much about being famous and popular, she would have left her friends long ago. 

but I will point out that popularity is not her life goal

It is one of her life goals - she has more than one, at least by my measure (being a complex and well-developed character and all that. If a character only has one goal or ambition that they focus on, then you could criticise them for being 2D.) I must confess to having been a bit disappointed that she didn't re-evaluate Canterlot society after:

they turn down buying something from her just because she was from ponyville

Should she really still have wanted these ponies' praise and plaudits if that's not the type of pony she is? Being after their money is fair enough, but that's not the impression I got, given that she:

risks sacrificing her business for the sake of her friends and values.

If fame and popularity was her main goal, then she would've allowed Sassy Saddles do her thing and turn her work into a strict business that lacks quality, care, and uniqueness.

so why she still fawns after Canterlot society is a mystery to me, given that she seems just as happy and dedicated producing fashionable clothing for anypony ("fashion is her passion.") I stress that it doesn't make her a bad pony, simply that I don't identify or sympathise with one of her life goals, as a result of which I prefer characters with goals that I do identify or sympathise with.

As for Pinkie Pie, I wish many were like her. Her goals might not be the most reasonable but it is something that is needed.

Actually, I like Pinkie's goals - making everyponies' life happier. What I don't like is that she sometimes is quite the hedonist, where fun and parties are all that she seems to care about. My suspicion is that this is because when she is less relevant to the plot she becomes a more 2D character, and when that happens 'fun and parties' is all you get from her. Episodes where she plays a more central role usually give her a much better character.

It is one of her life goals - she has more than one, at least by my measure (being a complex and well-developed character and all that. If a character only has one goal or ambition that they focus on, then you could criticise them for being 2D.) I must confess to having been a bit disappointed that she didn't re-evaluate Canterlot society after:

Should she really still have wanted these ponies' praise and plaudits if that's not the type of pony she is? Being after their money is fair enough, but that's not the impression I got, given that she:

so why she still fawns after Canterlot society is a mystery to me, given that she seems just as happy and dedicated producing fashionable clothing for anypony ("fashion is her passion.") I stress that it doesn't make her a bad pony, simply that I don't identify or sympathise with one of her life goals, as a result of which I prefer characters with goals that I do identify or sympathise with.

Having one life goal doesn't make them a 2D character. I'm not saying rarity doesn't desire the finer things in life, because a pony like her can. What I was stressing was that it wasn't  "life goal". Fame isn't her ultimate destination....at least that's how I see it. I can get that regardless of what her life goals are, it's hard to relate to that, therefore it explains why you see some things the way they are and others see them another way. I was just expressing how I saw most of what you said differently. 

• Brohoof 1

Actually, I like Pinkie's goals - making everyponies' life happier. What I don't like is that she sometimes is quite the hedonist, where fun and parties are all that she seems to care about. My suspicion is that this is because when she is less relevant to the plot she becomes a more 2D character, and when that happens 'fun and parties' is all you get from her. Episodes where she plays a more central role usually give her a much better character.

I think you're an introvert, so you will never understand. Rarity is an extrovert. She prefers being around people rather than being alone. That isn't wrong. Of course, as an introvert, you can't relate to that aspect of Rarity. It's not uncommon for extroverts to want to be famous and popular. I am one of those people. You wouldn't understand, but I love being surrounded by people, just like Rarity does. (Though it's ponies in her case.) 

• 4 weeks later...

I think you're an introvert, so you will never understand. Rarity is an extrovert. She prefers being around people rather than being alone. That isn't wrong. Of course, as an introvert, you can't relate to that aspect of Rarity. It's not uncommon for extroverts to want to be famous and popular. I am one of those people. You wouldn't understand, but I love being surrounded by people, just like Rarity does. (Though it's ponies in her case.) 

Agreeing with this. Though I see it more with Rarity admiring the opportunities and rewards from being popular....not just for the sake of being popular herself. I think she prefers fame for what she does....not for who she is. As shown in "Green isn't your color". How she got jealous for people loving Fluttershy instead of paying more attention to her creation and not giving the credit she deserved. 

They also think Rarity forces Spike to do what she wants. Some say she doesn't pay him (which is completely false.) 

Well, she doesn't FORCE anyone to do anything, but sometimes I feel that she takes advantage of Spike's affection. But maybe I'm over-interpreting things?

What really bothers me about Rarity is that one scene from The Canterlot Boutique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-9g2H45_e4

The way she touches the delivery Stallion's collar and basically flirts with him to get what she wants...? Is this really what Hasbro wants to teach little girls?

Edited by Merion

Rarity is my second most disliked character in the Mane 6. I think she is well developed as a character but I can't stand people with such personalities. Also, I do not hold against her when she is vain, I hold it against her when she is greedy because that directly contradicts her element.

Well, she doesn't FORCE anyone to do anything, but sometimes I feel that she takes advantage of Spike's affection. But maybe I'm over-interpreting things?

What really bothers me about Rarity is that one scene from The Canterlot Boutique:

The way she touches the delivery Stallion's collar and basically flirts with him to get what she wants...? Is this really what Hasbro wants to teach little girls?

They should also be taught how to interrogate guards :P

• Brohoof 1

They should also be taught how to interrogate guards :P

ARGH, completely forgot about this one! >_<'

Srsly tho! That's exactly the kind of behaviour that shouldn't be encouraged in a cartoon targeted at little girls...

ARGH, completely forgot about this one! >_<'

Srsly tho! That's exactly the kind of behaviour that shouldn't be encouraged in a cartoon targeted at little girls...

If that's how they interrogate in Equestria I would be committing crimes all day.

1280x720-tWY.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Even if Rarity sings about dresses all the time, she still has the best songs.

What really bothers me about Rarity is that one scene from The Canterlot Boutique:

Delivery pony:"With the boxes all being box shaped" lol

Edited by Rainbow Dashe

I have read fics before that just painted Rarity as a shallow fashionista Mean Girl and it makes me rage so hard.

Yes, she's into fashion, but she's an artist first. As an IRL artist who has done some industry work, I can see that the writers/animators threw in a lot of the industry issues one has to deal with, the struggle with creativity and inspiration, balancing creating a product for others and your own artistic desires and everything. Rarity could have even been a Pony animator in some sort of meta-commentary and a lot of her struggles would have been the same. Downplaying her personality as "she's into dresses" is pretty insulting.

Downplaying her personality as "she's into dresses" is pretty insulting.

It's a disservice to the writers to do so, certainly.

It's some of the aspects of her broader personality irritate me - little things like being a bit of a drama queen, some manipulative tendencies (someone brought up her flirting earlier, which is a good example of that) and despite the discussion I had previously (which did raise some good points) I do get the impression that she enjoys fame for its own sake (I'm thinking of Sonic Rainboom here, although she does apologise for that at the end) rather than as means to an end (commercial success / appreciation of her talent), which I also don't approve of. They give her a well-rounded personality, but not one that I like as much as the others. And to be clear, likes and dislikes are subjective, so this in no way meant to invalidate anyone else's approval of her.

Disclaimer - some episodes have been referenced that I haven't seen yet (I've only seen up to season 4 and a couple of episodes of season 5) so some of these issues may be addressed there. It certainly wouldn't be the first time a character goes from being very irritating to approved of *cough*RD*cough*.

It's a disservice to the writers to do so, certainly.

(someone brought up her flirting earlier, which is a good example of that) and despite the discussion I had previously (which did raise some good points) I do get the impression that she enjoys fame for its own sake (I'm thinking of Sonic Rainboom here, although she does apologise for that at the end) rather than as means to an end (commercial success / appreciation of her talent), which I also don't approve of. They give her a well-rounded personality, but not one that I like as much as the others. And to be clear, likes and dislikes are subjective, so this in no way meant to invalidate anyone else's approval of her.

To be honest, Rarity was out of character in that episode "Sonic Rainboom". That was literally the ONLY time she genuinely got lost in herself for absolutely no reason and demanded all the attention. I don't know who the hell that was in Sonic Rainboom, but it wasn't Rarity. 

And I am not entirely sure why people would hate Rarity for flirting to get what she wants. When over half the time, she wants something that would help her friend, or something one that could aid her in her work. Never has she done it for personal gain that would get her no where. Otherwise, Rarity wouldn't be struggling to become a great designer, she would be one already. Also, Rarity is not the only one who will manipulate ponies and to be honest it's not always a BAD thing. 

Fluttershy is a great example of an ultimate manipulator. But when I brought this up in another thread, people thought I was pointing this out as a BAD thing? She manipulated Discord in "Keep Calm an Flutter On" and she uses those adorable eyes and soft voice to guilt trip ponies into doing something they don't want to do. Twice she has on RD: Once in "May the Best Pet Win" and in "Dragon Quest" it was obvious RD did not want to be in the butterfly migration. And don't even use the excuse that RD was not manipulated, she simply was being a loyal friend. She is capable of refusing things. Fluttershy has no problem "putting her hoof down" when she doesn't want to do something as seen in "Dragon Quest" when she literally stomped RD to the ground despite RD stressing Fluttershy owed her.

I don't know who the hell that was in Sonic Rainboom, but it wasn't Rarity. 

I would say that it was rather like RD in 'The Mysterious Mare Do Well' in that it blew a character flaw out of proportion for the sake of the episode's plot. Rarity isn't like that, but it is a flaw she has. 

Also, Rarity is not the only one who will manipulate ponies and to be honest it's not always a BAD thing.    Fluttershy is a great example of an ultimate manipulator.

Fluttershy absolutely manipulates other ponies, and I don't pretend that it's alright. In "Keep Calm and Flutter On" I would say that since Discord broke the spirit of the agreement (rather than the letter) her reaction was justified as a disappointed friend - and so was not manipulation in that it wasn't deceptive or abusive in any way, but that is a specific example I disagree with. You are right that she is awfully manipulative at other times, though, and I don't like it when she is.

It is my view that flirting to get what you want shouldn't be socially acceptable, and I disapprove of it (I view it as mildly abusive) - certainly if the show espouses honesty as a virtue to be upheld then I believe that it would be contradictory to support or encourage flirting as a way of achieving your goals. I think that they do it as comedy, rather than an endorsement, and I don't mind it being in the show but I am disinclined to like the character that does it. Obviously if one believed that flirting to get what you want is fine then that wouldn't be an issue.

• Brohoof 2

It is my view that flirting to get what you want shouldn't be socially acceptable, and I disapprove of it (I view it as mildly abusive)

Mildly abusive and somewhat degrading... Okay, I don't want to sound like a raging feminist, but I think that such behaviour encourages men to objectify women.