Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rarity: A stuck-up fashionista that makes dresses no one cares about.

Silver Stream.

So my roommates and I were working on this site, and I felt like listening to some MLP music. One of my roommates decided to watch one of the songs which was "Rules of Rarity" and jokingly made this statement: "Oh it's just Rarity singing about making dresses again". Rest assured, she only meant it as a joke (they actually like rarity) but it had me thinking on quite a few things. How many people out there actually think like this? I assume many...but it bothers me that she's seen to be this vague character that only cares about dressing ponies up even with the fact clothes aren't needed. And it's BECAUSE of this why I see her as a much more interesting along Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie. 

I also thought back on this: 

And all I can say is OUCH OUCH OUCH! If I didn't know any better, I'd say the writers literally used every insult about Rarity and Pinkie Pie from the fandom and mashed them together in this one scene. Because I truly believe this is how many people feel. 

But why? Rarity has to be the bravest pony along with Fluttershy in my opinion because she pours her blood, sweat, and tears into something nearly everyone seems to be against. She's just as hardworking as Applejack...yet everyone seems to admire her more because she puts her labor into dirt and appletrees while Rarity puts her work into frabric. I love Applejack, but the fact people look UP to her but DOWN to Rarity just because they see her work as "unimportant" seems unfair. 

Another thing is that many people hold her moments of vanity AGAINST her simply because her element is "Generosity". You should characterize any of the mane 6 based off of their element because their element does not equal their complex personality. Sure, many times we see Rarity get caught up in her vanity, but have we not seen Applejack lie multiple times as well? Or seen Fluttershy turn into a Flutterb*tch or use her kindness to guilt trip people into doing something? Or how Rainbowdash will sometimes have a moment of weakness to ditch her friends or boast more about her own accomplishments or talents. 

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that Rarity is more than what people may think of her to be. 

• Brohoof 12

Okay completely off topic, but I just going to say I freaking love that scene from Putting Your Hoof Down! I'm a monster, I know. 

As for Rarity, it's more a general sort of cultural expectancy as to why some more general observers don't look to in depth at her.  Basically the general stereotype Rarity should fall into is the shallow fashion obsessed girl that petty and materialistic but given this is a show where the characters are well developed she is far more and quite different from that. It's just people have a bad habit of judging a book by it's cover. 

Also I highly doubt most fans think Rarity is a shallow character, especially on this site.

(inb4 the thirty thousand+ Rarity Fanclub members swarm this page :) ) 

Edited by Sidral Mundet
  • Brohoof 4

I love Rarity. She's my favorite of the Mane Six.

I don't agree at all with the negative outlook a lot of people may have about her.

She's hardly stuck up. And I'd say plenty of ponies care about her work.

If they didn't, she wouldn't be having so much success with her business.

What I like most about her is that she is a positive twist on stereotypes. Yes she's involved in fashion (something you see a lot in girls media), but instead of being, for example, just a teenaged fashion slave that runs to the store and buys whatever anyone famous is wearing at that time, Rarity sets trends herself, and designs, makes, and sells creations all on her own.

She's an independent business mare, and that's awesome.

• Brohoof 11

I care about her dresses.. They look soo Divine  :proud:

To say "Dressing ponies up even with the fact clothes aren't needed" is equivalent to saying "Why should we wear good clothes? What's the purpose of dressing ourselves with unnecessary accessories when,it too, is not needed?"

Well, sure..I guess you could, as long as you're okay with the unending criticism and awkward glares, being accused of public Indecency, or people concluding you're broke or just a wandering hobo. The thing is, dressing in fancy stuff IS needed, to guarantee the safety of your social image and self esteem at times. And also not to be mistaken for a hobo..Spike_presented_with_a_bouquet_of_flower

There is a saying that clothes reflect your personality, but not only that, they also reflect your social status and of course, pride..If you would observe, almost nopony in Canterlot goes around undressed, unlike Ponyville, where goingaround undressed if absolutely legal ;)

Sorry for the long rant, just felt like typing today  :twi:  :ooh:

You are quite literally on Rarity central, how do you think most people will answer? Honestly Id be hard pressed to think of a site where Rarity is still unpopular, I honestly expect her to move up in the census this year, I just feel she's gained even more since S4, she regularly polls 2nd or third not just here but on super big places like /mlp/ and I see tons of love for her on Derpibooru and places like the subreddit.

Frankly the only way someone could of watched this long and STILL not seen all the depths and nauances of Rarity's character is if they WANT to hate her. her generosity, cleverness, compassion, empathy of love for her friends and family have been highlighted so many times that you'd basically have to flat our ignore her episodes to not see them.  She's the best written character on the show and really pretty much always has been. The only reason it took a long time for people to realize how great she was is the general negative sterotype against girly fashion characters, even if she's really nothing like most of them.

Actually whenever I watch the clip you linked, what I think is not what Rarity's done with herself, she's a succesful business woman who just opened her second store. but what the hell has Fluttershy done with her life really?

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 2

I understand that many might see Rarity as we do, but it's still possible to have those who'll completely disagree. But I guess there were less anti-rarity fans than I anticipated :pout:  

I was not much of a  Rare fan in season one myself and parts of season two but she did grow me and has become my fav of the Mane six (Sorry  flutters...)   Which I think in the last seasons we have seen her grow and expand and yes we get our drama queen moments we love but also it seems out of them mane six outside of Twilight,  we see real good growth in her getting that place in Canterlot to how she jumps to help Coco and is even getting along with AJ.

Rare is a good pony to watch and the drama queen moments.

When I saw the name of this topic I wanted to go running to GhostFaceKiller.

Out of the mane six Rarity is my favorite, and she's a really well designed pony. Drama queen moments are also amazing to see.  :P

I think it's due in part to the "girlie" stigma that comes with watching MLP.  Rarity's penchant for dress-designing kinda reinforces the fact that we're all watching a show that was originally centered around little girls.  Plus, Hasbro has used Rarity as a vehicle to market more EQG toys based off of her in-show designs.

There are multiple things that I can appreciate about Raritys character. She's not sitting around thinking about boys. Shes not going crazy worrying about her apperance 24/7. Shes not the stereotypical fashion girl I see in so many cartoons. And, she takes great pride in all her work. There's quite a bit to see how unique she really is.

And on a side note, her singing voice is wonderful. :D

Edited by Blizzard Breeze

When I saw the title, I thought you actually believed that and had to defend Rarity. Luckily, that isn't the case. 

The Rarity haters I hate are the ones who wanted Rarity to be enslaved by the Diamond Dogs. (The ones who antagonize her in that episode.) There was on YouTuber who did that, and the comment section was filled with hate. He deserved it. He didn't really watch the episode, solely because it's a Rarity episode. He just had it playing. Then he complained that Rarity was complaining. If you're a blind reactor or blind commentator, watch the episode, even if it revolves around a pony you absolutely hate!

Edited by RarityFan01

When watching a brony reaction, this guy called Rarity a slut on the Rainbowrock Short "Life is a Runway" because of what she was wearing and how she was walking. I'm no die hard fan of hers, but that really pissed me off. I wasn't sure if he expected a model to wear.a jogging suit and walk down the runway like a sumo wrestler or what.

Then misinterpreted her message within the song to mean "everyone needs to like fashion...that's what life is about"

I understand not everyone likes her....that's completely fine with me. Heck,.it's even fine in how they hate her drama queen moments or whatever....but when they are that hateful and dense, I'm left wondering why I even bother to comment

• Brohoof 1

Most Rarity haters seem to hate her for stupid or nonexistent reasons. For example, a lot of them say she's a snob, and a lot say she's ungenerous. If she was a snob, she would have chosen the Canterlot Elite and not associate with Ponyvillians. If she's not generous, she wouldn't work her rump off making dresses for her friends and remaking those dresses because her friends don't like them. That is just one of the many examples. They also think Rarity forces Spike to do what she wants. Some say she doesn't pay him (which is completely false.) 

The reason I don't like most Rarity haters is because their hatred towards her is for reasons that don't even exist. It's like they want to hate her. 

That goes for the other mane 5 as well.

Personally, I respect certain opinions because not everyone will see what you see and frankly, most people choose to ignore depth within a show or character so that they can enjoy it without thinking too hard or worrying about whether or not a character gets development or if there is a plot hole.

Its only when they get to name calling just because they don't understand something that gets me.

How come nopony mentioned that Rarity is also a detective of no little talent? I sincerely would love to see more episodes of Rarity solving mysteries! 

I'd love to see another like that as well...but with Pinkie Pie included. Both had "detective " episodes.....they'd be a silly dynamic detective duo.

Some of the other Mane 6 are content with their existence. Rarity is the most ambitious of the Mane 6, in a show/movie that can punish a character for being overly ambitious. 

Edited by Singe

I'd love to see another like that as well...but with Pinkie Pie included. Both had "detective " episodes.....they'd be a silly dynamic detective duo.

Twilight has a nice working knowledge of forensic science. Shouldn't she join the team? 

• Brohoof 1

Twilight has a nice working knowledge of forensic science. Shouldn't she join the team? 

CSI: Equestria?

Honestly, though, I'm not really sure where this thread is coming from.  I haven't noticed any specific criticism of Rarity for being vain and stuck up.  Personally, I think that Rarity has probably had the best character development of anyone on the whole show.  She's the most professional, for sure.  And I happen to think that she lives up to her element better than anypony. 

• Brohoof 1

CSI: Equestria?

Honestly, though, I'm not really sure where this thread is coming from.  I haven't noticed any specific criticism of Rarity for being vain and stuck up.  Personally, I think that Rarity has probably had the best character development of anyone on the whole show.  She's the most professional, for sure.  And I happen to think that she lives up to her element better than anypony. 

Most came from other sources and you'd be surprised how many are out there. I was hoping to draw some within this site to have a more personal opinion and get better understanding of "how" they think. 

Rarity and Fluttershy are two of the most interesting ponies because I feel as though both are misunderstood. Pinkie comes at a close second with Twilight bringing up the rear. Applejack, I love her to bits, isn't even on this list unfortunately. 

• Brohoof 1

Rarity is a very well-written and likable character. Some people just don't like her character archetype.

What? People look up to these ponies?

Is that a serious question?
  • Brohoof 2