Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone care about the global news?

Somberhoof

I barely watch anything news related on TV, since it's always the same. Terrorist attacks, Muslims are bad, the war between Israel and Palestine, etc.

Which is what people surprisingly want to watch, because peace obviously dosen't sell. It dosen't even matter who is bad or good or right or wrong, they just see war and they see fear.

Why not make news about scientists, trying to find the cure for cancer and aids everyday? I tell you why. Because people don't want to see that and rather want to live in their paranoid world.

• Brohoof 1

My degree is all about intrigue and espionage (probably shouldn't be posting that online...) so I'm heavily invested in world news and politics. For my Intelligence Writing class, I'm following Ukraine. Man, they're getting screwed by Russia and the separatist movement. 

I don't really care that much about global news mostly because everything I see on TV is either something depressing or something about celebrities.

My main source of news for pretty much everything now is Reddit.

Not really, I can't be bothered to care about what happens in the world when everything's so fucked up and so little is being done to fix it. Best to just put it out of my mind and focus on myself.

You should find some other place to see your news then. The world is making amazing progress. For one Nigeria is becoming a democracy, terror organisations are becoming weaker by the day, 9/10 girls go to school, the birthrate has stopped increasing and is at a steady 2.5 children per woman. Sadly many news sites do not cover this as these kinds of things are going slowly.

Yeah, news programs get more views (and thus more money) if they talk about fear, and they don't get as many views if they talk about good things like that, sadly :(

I don't watch global news because....what's the point? And I definitely don't even watch my own countries news xD because most of it is just people dying, people committing suicide, you know how it is aha

As a whole I try to keep updated and remain informed, I poke around a few sites to get some differing views and opinions. Generally I go to RT and BBC, and CNN international.

Obviously Fox news and Pravda are not two I visit.

There is one subject I'm most interested in terms of current events: Ukraine.

I've not seen as much coverage on this in recent times, then again "older news" is not what keeps the views up.

• Brohoof 2

i try to watch the news but it seems to have gotten to be more about fashion, trying to sell me something i don't need and celebrity stuff than actually having anything about  the real important world news. i usually change the channel because i almost fall asleep when they start talking what shoes go with what dress and stuff. not much news on the news anymore. and it is usually so biased to.

Almost without fail the news here will simply serve to remind you about how everything is in great shape. Fatal stabbings, gang attacks, smuggling rings, corrupt officials, you name it. I think just about everyone above me has covered it. :scoots:

If you actually stick around to the end though you usually get a piece of good news or something more wacky and lighthearted. Gets about 10 seconds of attention then it's straight on to the weather, which at this time of the year is usually just as depressing to fit. More grey clouds incoming! :unamused:

Don't get me wrong, I look at the news whenever there's something major going on in the headlines, but most of the time it's just the same old same old. Imagine a day where there was just no bad news at all. Would they even have anything to say? :P

I do indeed care about what is happening around the world just as much as I care about what is going on in my home country (USA).  I can understand why others would stop caring, it is mentally draining.  The constant barrage of negativity (terrorism, natural disasters, differing politics) can take a person's energy away.

Kinda.  I wish I didn't have to care.  It saddens me that so much of our lives are wasted fretting about all the sh*t going on in the world.  I should be out there living my life, not wasting it worrying about how others are worrying about how others are living their lives.  But this is the f*cked up world we live in, so I kind of feel obligated to care somewhat, and try to do my little part to heal the world.  I try not to read the newspaper, though, as it's mostly depressing and irrelevant to me.  I get most of my news from Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.

I havent watched global news in like...3 years? Or maybe even longer  :ooh:

I mean, as long we dont have a third world war here, i dont really care  :adorkable:

I mean, politics are boring for me...and, i dont want to hear about tragedy because that makes me sad...and what kind of news are left anyway? If something changes, like, something REALLY important, im pretty sure people will spread all over the internet, like gay marriage is legal now.I heard that from Jacksepticeye  :lol:

But im not searching for global news..any news...often their just celebrity stories, and screw that, seriously, i dont care  :okiedokielokie:

Or maybe global news is a news program in america and im talking complete crap because i just dont know what it is  :lol:

But im not searching for any news.

I keep right up with what's going on, BBC news is pretty helpful with that, but I also from time to time check out CNN or other news outlets for anything interesting going on, I always love to know what's going on in the world.

Although, right now it's just way to negative  -_-

Personally I don't care about anything going on outside my county... but I care a bit more about what's going on in American than anywhere else so to answer your question... not really, but if its something huge going on elsewhere then it will catch my attention...

Edited by Snowflake Frostflame

To be really honest, I don't really care at all and I even avoid at all costs watching the news. Any news that I do not to get, I do that through the Internet, and even then it is almost never that I check.

Most of the people are good, and the good things that happen in your community and in your life never makes to the news, pretty much only bad stuff does. Playing around with people's emotions for the sake of getting attention is something that I have a strong disdain against.

I find current affairs fascinating. Admittedly, sometimes it's the sort of fascination that one has with a horrific injury, but incredibly interesting none-the-less. And I would say that there is plenty of good news, you just need to look in the right places and in the right way - the statistic that I tend to brandish at this point is child mortality:

(warning, the paragraph below contains both statistics and optimism)

Globally, the estimated number of under-five child deaths in the year 2015 is 5.9 million. That's about 43 deaths per 1000 live births. Pretty grim, isn't it? But if we look back at 1990, we see that the number of deaths was 91 deaths per 1000 live births - more than twice the current rate. That means that 19000 fewer children die every day in 2015 compared to 1990 - 6,939,750 per year. If the current rate of decline continues (and it is currently accelerating) then in the next fifty years we could see it fall to under 11 per 1000 world-wide, which is the current average for Europe (that is, the WHO definition of Europe.) So if you're under 30 or so, then you could see this happen over the course of your lifetime. (Source: GHO

And that's why I don't despair at the news - because I genuinely believe that things are getting better.

I always care about what goes on in the world and I keep up with major news on a semiregular basis. But so much of it is incredibly soul-crushing to the extent where I have to systematically and periodically ignore it for the sake of my own happiness, sanity, and well-being.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...