Kay, So My Brother Won A Bet With My Dad...

Denim&Venöm

And now he has to watch 5 episodes of MLP. Now, to leave the best impression of the show on my dad (and possibly convert him), which 5 episodes do you recommend my bro show? And which 5 should be avoided for a first timer?

• Brohoof 4

DENIMVENOM.jpg.044401b86728c9eacc741b8d13926f4e.jpg

If you want to give him a good impression, I'd start at the beginning and go all the way through. If you really want to start on a high note, have him watch Cutie Mark Chronicles first. I'd avoid any episode with Spike as the central character as those don't go over too well.

Edited by Yoshi89
  • Brohoof 1

˙ʎpoqʎuɐ ƃuᴉlooɟ ʇou ǝɹ,noʎ 'sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟI

Gooduns:

• The Cutie Map
  • The Cutie-Re-Mark
  • It's About Time

Oh...well I guess that's five if you count both halves of the two-parters.  I'll still list a couple more ideas.

• Wonderbolts Academy
  • The Mane Attraction  (actually, probably the single best episode for a newcomer.  Although not dark or badass, it's one of the best in the series, and requires no previous knowledge of the characters to appreciate it.)
  • Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3
  • Amending Fences (one of the best, but can't be appreciated properly without backstory and character familiarity)

I'm not usually in favor of jumping around a series like that, but I'm kind of guessing he's not going to become a fan, so rather than start at the beginning, it would probably be better to showcase the best of the best, y'know?

Avoid

• Princess Spike
  • What About Discord
  • Any CMC spotlight
  • Brohoof 1

blogentry-26336-0-55665700-1413783982.jp

I'd say some episodes that have a movie-esk plot on their own. I'm thinking maybe the Mare-Do-Well one, and things such as. You could also put in some ones with references he'd get like the one with the Big Lebowski, or the one with the Metal Gear Solid, if he'd catch that. Last suggestion, epic af fight scenes. Plenty of those now. Ya got Tirek, which I think is one of the best episodes. Things to avoid, someone already said it, but songs.

• Brohoof 1

▀██▀─▄███▄─▀██─██▀██▀▀█
─██─███─███─██─██─██▄█
─██─▀██▄██▀─▀█▄█▀─██▀█
▄██▄▄█▀▀▀─────▀──▄██▄▄█ 

Twitter ===>      /@RivuletMLP

I don't see why you should avoid the songs, per se. It depends on if your father would like them or not. I see no reason someone wouldn't like This Day Aria from Canterlot Wedding. I also think that The Flim Flam Brothers song from SPCS 6000 is quite good. Even Pinkie Pride, the songs are pleasantly unique, and he might get a kick out of Weird Al. It all depends on what you think he would enjoy.

My suggestion (besides the obvious ones) would be Family Appreciation Day, if you want to take an emotional approach. This is the only episode to ever bring tears to my eyes. That's quite an accomplishment, considering that I've gone stone-faced through most every tear-jerker I've ever seen.

Banner1_v2.png

Signature by Me

Not sure how to approach this but I've got a few in mind. 

The Mane Attraction, The Return of Harmony, Party of One, Cutie Mark Chronicles, and Lesson Zero.

I primarily chose these since these don't rely too much on established canon or they flesh out a character enough to get the viewer to know them as the story goes along. Might want play these episodes in order so the friendship letters part in The Return of Harmony doesn't feel like it came from nowhere. 

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I'd actually choose episodes that include a lesson your father might appreciate or learn from. Whenever someone watches the show with me, I choose one with a theme or situation that they can relate to. Other times, when I'm having a problem family doesn't understand too well, I pick an episode that sort of explains this problem. For example, I tend to he extremely introverted, and my mom watched the episode where Pinkie Pie tried to become pals with Cranky. When Pinkie explained how some friends like to be left alone, my mom seemed to get the idea.

So try looking at the lessons in the episodes.

Edited by PhotoEquestria

JIS0uKV.jpg

First two, super cider squeezy 6000, return of harmony or something with discord because of Q. Avoid pinkie, CMC, spike and princesses and songs. Super cider squeezy 6000 is an exception though. The original would establish the characters. Avoid season 5 because all of the characters are too established and with alicorn twilight, CMC getting their cutie mark, the mane 6's cutie mark glowing if there is a friendship problem and in general. Season 1 can get a bit kiddy at times and season two kind of made the scripts a bit more suitable for older people.

I vote for "The Cutie Re-Mark" and "Twilight's Kingdom."

As someone who actively avoided saying "This a show for little girls?!?!", those 2 season finales broke me and finally made me say that. Yes, I knew there were heavier elements in the show that could appeal to all audiences, but I still felt a very female-friendly atmosphere most of the time, and I knew certain things were still underplayed just enough to please the TV censors. Those two season finales, however, really broke any skepticism I ever had.

halloweensig.png.397601b0ba3d0bdc1d66a19d4ccbc7fa.png

If it were up to me, I would show Return of Harmony, Lesson Zero, Sisterhooves Social, Read it and Weep, and A Canterlot Wedding in this order. (Assuming two-parters count as one episode.)

These episodes should establish the characters, and give the best first impression as to how good the show can be.

But whatever you do, don't show the best two-parters first. He'll probably be disappointed the whole show isn't like that, and it would probably be more rewarding to watch them after growing attached to the characters.

Edited by SpaceOnion

And now he has to watch 5 episodes of MLP. Now, to leave the best impression of the show on my dad (and possibly convert him), which 5 episodes do you recommend my bro show? And which 5 should be avoided for a first timer?

The only season opener or finale I'd do would be Return of Harmony, just because all the story bits can be a bit much to take sometimes but John DeLancie more than outweighs that there for a new timer, Lesson Zero's a pretty safe bet, possibly Party of One, believe it or not Dragonshy might go over well as well, and maybe Putting Your Hoof Down since Iron Will's a riot.

Also, limit yourself to the first two seasons, jump around too much and you'll confuse him.  Five episodes from the first two seasons should be more than enough to tell your dad if he likes the show or not.

CDFuh.gif

"You'll hunt me. You'll condemn me, set the dogs on me. Because that's what needs to happen. Because sometimes... cupcakes aren't good enough. Sometimes ponies deserve more. Sometimes ponies deserve to have their faith rewarded... with muffins!!!"

-The Muffin Mare

Hi, as this thread is about the show, and which episodes to make your dad watch, it has been moved to Show Discussion.

Episodes your dad might appreciate:

Amending Fences

Flight to the finish

It ain't easy being breezies

Suited for Success

The Return of Harmony premiere

Avoid:

Slice of Life

Do Princess Dream of Magoc Sheep

Princess Spike

Party of One (he might be like wtf)

img-35775-1-img-35775-1-img-35775-1-img-

SILVER STREAM'S POETRY DUMP

I am Silver Stream  ||  My Request Shop                                                                         

1) Castle Mane-ia (to show off their chemistry)

2) Bridle Gossip (more chemistry)

3) It's About Time

4) Party Pooped

5) Return of Harmony Part 2 (or both parts if he agrees. Explain the DeLancie thing)

You absolutely can not possibly go wrong with this list. I would stake my life on it.

• Brohoof 1