Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do ponies cheer you up?

Lithophila

In a kind of gradual fashion. It's made me a happier person overall and given me direction in life I didn't have before. When I do get sad, it's not usually what I turn to (that would be my parents or God). Usually, but not never, as a pony song, fan made or official, usually at least returns me to my high spirits.

I'm sorry to hear that.  Why is that?

It's just the usual stuff-- people thinking bronies are creeps, pedophiles, perverts, and whatnot. I try to ignore it all, but I'm not all that thick skinned, and stuff like that eats away at me little by little.

There's also the issue of having to keep it a secret from everyone. It's preferable to the shaming and ridicule I'd get otherwise, but hiding it results in extra stress and anxiety, and that's not much fun either.

So, while the show and fandom are a lot of fun, being a brony is still kind of toxic to me. It makes me wonder if the whole thing is even worth it, and I admit, there are times when I wish I could go back and stop myself from ever watching that first episode.

Also, I'm sorry about being late to respond to your reply. I haven't been on the forums in a few days.

• Brohoof 1

Yep, that helps when I'm feeling down.  Especially lately, when I've been so isolated from my friends, I've ended up watching Amending Fences quite a few times.  That's my favorite episode.

It's just the usual stuff-- people thinking bronies are creeps, pedophiles, perverts, and whatnot. I try to ignore it all, but I'm not all that thick skinned, and stuff like that eats away at me little by little.

There's also the issue of having to keep it a secret from everyone. It's preferable to the shaming and ridicule I'd get otherwise, but hiding it results in extra stress and anxiety, and that's not much fun either.

So, while the show and fandom are a lot of fun, being a brony is still kind of toxic to me. It makes me wonder if the whole thing is even worth it, and I admit, there are times when I wish I could go back and stop myself from ever watching that first episode.

Well, I hear you, about having stuff like that eat away at you.  I'm kind of the same way.  But I'm extremely lucky that everyone I know, friends and family, are either bronies themselves, or fine with it.  I really wish everyone could have that.  It makes me so sad that so many people still hide it, feel they have to hide it, would be ridiculed by their friends and family if they didn't hide it, etc.  That's what eats away at me.  The opinions of idiots are annoying, but I don't really care.  But it pains me greatly to think of my fellow bronies having stress and anxiety from hiding.  I try to encourage all to be open, but I realize that I know nothing of your situation or the people around you.  Still, I wish you would be open about it.  I believe the liberation you would feel from being your authentic self would outweigh the cons.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I hear you, about having stuff like that eat away at you.  I'm kind of the same way.  But I'm extremely lucky that everyone I know, friends and family, are either bronies themselves, or fine with it.  I really wish everyone could have that.  It makes me so sad that so many people still hide it, feel they have to hide it, would be ridiculed by their friends and family if they didn't hide it, etc.  That's what eats away at me.  The opinions of idiots are annoying, but I don't really care.  But it pains me greatly to think of my fellow bronies having stress and anxiety from hiding.  I try to encourage all to be open, but I realize that I know nothing of your situation or the people around you.  Still, I wish you would be open about it.  I believe the liberation you would feel from being your authentic self would outweigh the cons.

You might be right, and chances are I'm just being paranoid about the whole thing anyway. Eventually, I'll probably get drunk and blurt it out, and then I'll get to see how everyone reacts.

• Brohoof 1