Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spend or shy away from secondhand merch?

ManaMinori

How do you feel about buying pony merch secondhand from a seller (or thrift shops/ traders markets/ garage sales)? Does it matter if its secondhand? Do you feel as though merch secondhand will be in less than mint condition than it would be, straight from the factory? Or dirtier than would be, straight out the box/plastic?

• Brohoof 1

If you buy any used plushes, I'd recommend checking them for bedbugs first. You definitely don't want your house to get infested with those.

Other than that, I see no problem buying used pony merch. Though it might be a good idea to clean it when you get it home. You never know if some kid was slobbering all over it or something.

• Brohoof 2

I've never bought pony merch before but when I finally get around it to it I'll probably just buy it straight from the store nice and fresh, you never know what some people could have been doing to those plushies, especially when there's a mysterious stitched up hole at the rear of the plushie.

Sorry for putting that image in your head...

• Brohoof 1

If you buy any used plushes, I'd recommend checking them for bedbugs first. You definitely don't want your house to get infested with those.

Other than that, I see no problem buying used pony merch. Though it might be a good idea to clean it when you get it home. You never know if some kid was slobbering all over it or something.

hence the reason why i, personally, feel better buying my merch straight from the store.

Out of curiosity however, how does one check a plush toy for bedbugs? I can't imagine the bugs being visible and crawling all over its exterior to packaging.

I've never bought pony merch before but when I finally get around it to it I'll probably just buy it straight from the store nice and fresh, you never know what some people could have been doing to those plushies, especially when there's a mysterious stitched up hole at the rear of the plushie.

Sorry for putting that image in your head...

don't mind. It's strangely not as disturbing as the image of bedbugs infesting it, as was presented in the post above yours.

Though, i would IMMEDIATELY question whether what sort of contents remain in the plushie, in your scenario as well, and would definitely trash it, just counting the purchase as a loss.

• Brohoof 2

problem with used plushies is they tend to not be machine washable, so only way to make sure there are no bedbugs is to buy the special spray they use on beds and furniture, actually it's not just plushies, anything you bring home from a place that has them can carry them or their eggs.

• Brohoof 1

hence the reason why i, personally, feel better buying my merch straight from the store.

Out of curiosity however, how does one check a plush toy for bedbugs? I can't imagine the bugs being visible and crawling all over its exterior to packaging.

Actually, I'm not really sure about that. My sister often buys used plushes, and I've seen her doing a visual inspection of them. So I guess the bugs must be visible if you look closely enough.

I hadn't thought about checking for the eggs though. I really doubt you'd be able to see those.

Maybe it is best just to stick to buying new plushes. Anything that's plastic should be okay though, I think.

Edited by Detritus
  • Brohoof 1

I like secondhand merch. Especially old secondhand merch. I love going to swapmeets, antiques, thrift stores and yard sales and sometimes finding the coolest stuff for a real steal. Found some G3s and a couple of super cute fakies. My best finds was a Super Mario Bros. Pencil box from the 1980s, and a Classic size Breyer. Other then that I do my secondhand shopping on eBay, etsy and ecrater. That's a lot of Es. I'm also paranoid and wash everything thoroughly as soon as I get home. That includes plushies.

Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 2

I hang around and browse thrift stores all the time so coming across secondhand merch is almost a given! I usually find G3 merch-- Starsong being my usual purchase. G4 stuff isn't all that hard to come by either but in accordance to my Goodwill experiences they're definitely not in stock as much.

• Brohoof 1

Wash plushies in a washing machine and any bug will get killed and washed away. If they cant be machine washed, you can do this by hand with soap (ie clothing detergent) and hot water and air dry.

Edited by PiratePony
  • Brohoof 1

I go to flea markets at least a couple of times a year and I tend to find a lot of pony stuff. I'll buy any pony as long as it can be repaired in some way. I even found a Funko Twilight Sparkle still in box. The box was beat up, but still unopened. Plus a G1, G3, and a Fashion Style Pinkie Pie. All have been repaired and are almost in perfect condition.

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought Merch and other stuff secondhand. Heck, I found a bag of Fluttershys, mixed in with some blind bags, at a Thrift shop for $3 or so. Made my day.

I've had a friend give me his entire MLP collection as well, as he got out of ponies.Wasn't gonna turn it down just because it was previously owned. 

I only buy secondhand stuff if it's cheap (yard sale/ Thrift store) and the person/store selling it isn't selling it at a high price because they're intentionally marketing it to Bronies..Which is why I avoid eBay as people resell it for ridiculous prices..:(

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a second hand MLP Hearts and Hooves book for free from a thrift store. I'd love to save ponies (G4) from being in any secondhand stores! Of course, washing anything you get from them is recommended to wash before you use, play, or wear something you picked up from one. I do community service at a second hand store and I throw away anything that's too dirty or junk.

• 3 months later...