Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"Its just a kid show" "you are overthinking it" >.>

Buck Testa

(edited)

I love to make and share theories and head canons. Its something I've done with many MANY fandoms i've been in. Be it Kingdom Hearts, or an anime I was watching, or whatever, I've had made elaborate theories that connect different pieces of info in a bunch of different ways. It doesn't really matter to me if one of these theories doesn't pan out, or if its disproved by canon later on, because this is just how I enjoy the show/game I'm into at the moment. 

And yet, almost invariably, there is always someone who feels the need to roll in with a bucket of cold water on any given conversation. 

"You are overthinking it"

"its just a kid show"

"its pointless"

They are adding literally NOTHING to the conversation and they try to stifle any given topic they don't find interesting. The most infuriating thing is their comment actually tends to be the last post because...really, who wants to follow up on a topic after that jarring slamming of the breaks in a conversation the outside person hadn't been interested in the first place. 

I'm going to be real here, it's pretty damn triggering for me. 

I put a lot of time into a topic, I get pictures, I site scenes, I put all these different things together not because I think that the writers thought of everything, but because the POTENTIAL is there and it could be used. I'm showing my passion for something I love, LIKE mlp, and yet those few people who just wants to have conversations about the most surface level things of the show feel the need to try and kill topics that have some challenge and thought behind them. 

I enjoy a good "who is best pony" thing as much as the next person, but I need MORE sometimes, and I know there are people just like me who are now too disheartened to make those kind of topics. Sometimes I want to talk about the theoretical political structure of Equestria even if the things I'm inferring are never going to be entirely answered by the show. Sometimes I want to bring up the implications behind cutie marks and what they mean to a ponies freedom of choice even if every little piece of evidence I bring up could be blown out of the water in a single episode. 

If that's not your thing, Golden, Nobody is forcing you to click the topic and forcing you to hear whatever I or others had churned up that day for a discussion. Please though, I'm begging you here, Don't just go in to say "You are thinking about it too much" or "its just a kid show" or "the writers didn't think of that"

Its all understood, we all know this, nobody forgot that. You don't want to be dismissed because you like a show about ponies, you wouldn't want your passion brushed aside simply because the other person thought what you liked was dumb. Please extend that courtesy to me and anyone else who wants to weave a theory that may or may not pan out. 

I would rather you prove me wrong, clearly and concisely, than posting that the discussion shouldn't even be had in the first place because it shouldn't be "overthought"

During your time in this fandom/on this forum, have you ever had or seen a topic killed off by this kind of thing? What do you think about my position on this? 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 5

I love expounding a good theory as much as anyone, it's always interesting to scratch below the surface and try to extrapolate an idea to its conclusion.  However, even I sometimes resort to the 'you're overthinking this' when someone latches onto the flimsiest wisp of ephemera from an episode and insists that it is incontrovertible evidence that their headcanon is now officially recognised.

• Brohoof 3

I fully agree, I've want to seek more deeper thoughts and discussions into the fandom and if we don't dig deeper into these topics than nobody will ever. The show will only give us so much, that we the fans must speak out.

Thankfully, I've never had or seen a topic killed by the cold water and the "it's a 'kids' show'" strawman, but it doesn't make it any less infuriating. Just like you, I put a lot of effort into analyzing, stating, and explaining why I like or hate something and what makes something good, average, or bad. Don't tell me these buzz-phrases, put in effort into responding back. Otherwise, your post is a waste of everyone's time.

About "it's a kids' show," the second anyone even attempts this shit, they tell me as a person that they don't have a damn point to make. As an analyst and reviewer, it ticks me off as much as "you hate change." There are several reasons why it's such a stupid argument to begin with.

The one time where "it's a kids' show" is actually valid is when an Steven Universe fan attempted suicide after Tumblr SJWs in the SU fandom stalked her for over a year; there's a difference between taking it seriously and taking it obsessively to a personal level. Your obsession for a show is not worth trying to end someone's life, period!

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

Considering some of the absolutely silly topics and threads that's been popping up recently, I think it's a reasonable mentality

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 6

(edited)

The one time where "it's a kids' show" is actually valid is when an Steven Universe fan attempted suicide after Tumblr SJWs in the SU fandom stalked her for over a year; there's a difference between taking it seriously and taking it obsessively to a personal level. Your obsession for a show is not worth trying to end someone's life, period!

Dear Anyone Who Does ^That,

This guy's waiting for you:

Sincerely,

A.V.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 2

But the fact is that a lot of things are, and pointing it out when you belive that's the case shouldn't be seen as a negative thing. For me it's the other way around, it's kind of annoying how people overanalyze every little detail when it's not needed since the answer is already obvious. If you disagree with a person saying that something is unnecessary to discuss, just ignore it cause that's their view on it.

• Brohoof 4

I love expounding a good theory as much as anyone, it's always interesting to scratch below the surface and try to extrapolate an idea to its conclusion.  However, even I sometimes resort to the 'you're overthinking this' when someone latches onto the flimsiest wisp of ephemera from an episode and insists that it is incontrovertible evidence that their headcanon is now officially recognised.

Usually such flimsy topics can be disproved though. Its better to prove the topic wrong than to say they are over thinking it, because at least something valuable can be gleaned from the discussion. 

• Brohoof 1

Usually such flimsy topics can be disproved though. Its better to prove the topic wrong than to say they are over thinking it, because at least something valuable can be gleaned from the discussion.

Many topics of this kind cannot be proven wrong because they bring up subjects that aren't even mentioned in the show and the discussions are born from pure speculations.
  • Brohoof 2

Some of my most favourite cartoons, like Gravity Falls, the Animaniacs, Adventure Time, and MLP, do not pander to children, like Dora the Explorer or Caillou, those shows recognise that adults like animation too, and realise that children mature, hopefully into someone better. Good children or family shows, are suppose to leave you a better person than you were before, the additive of "It's just a kid's show," is a way of saying, be simple, be mundane, and be happy with what you have, fantasize about dreams, and ignore reality when it gets too rough. Now, there are snobs, that do over-analyse, and forget to enjoy the art, instead they look at the mechanics of the art, like the brush strokes of a painting, moreover, over thinking can come off as complaining, rather than constructive criticism, to improve the quality of the show, plus to lay the groundwork for future children's shows, as C.S. Lewis once said, "A children's book, that is enjoyable only to children, is not a very good book in the slightest."  

• Brohoof 1

Some of my most favourite cartoons, like Gravity Falls, the Animaniacs, Adventure Time, and MLP, do not pander to children, like Dora the Explorer or Caillou, those shows recognise that adults like animation too, and realise that children mature, hopefully into someone better. Good children or family shows, are suppose to leave you a better person than you were before, the additive of "It's just a kid's show," is a way of saying, be simple, be mundane, and be happy with what you have, fantasize about dreams, and ignore reality when it gets too rough. Now, there are snobs, that do over-analyse, and forget to enjoy the art, instead they look at the mechanics of the art, like the brush strokes of a painting, moreover, over thinking can come off as complaining, rather than constructive criticism, to improve the quality of the show, plus to lay the groundwork for future children's shows, as C.S. Lewis once said, "A children's book, that is enjoyable only to children, is not a very good book in the slightest."  

The broader the demographic, the more practical the work. :)

• Brohoof 4

Many topics of this kind cannot be proven wrong because they bring up subjects that aren't even mentioned in the show and the discussions are born from pure speculations.

Could I have examples? 

The kind of topics I'm talking about, especially with mine, are ones where a lot of things are sited within the show to prop up the idea I'm bringing to the table. but even with all the scenes I site or the connections I make this same dismissal comes into play. Its not even entertaining the idea for discussions sake, its just straight topic killing. 

If its grounded in very little evidence or not even brought up like lets say the "equestria is post apocalyptic earth" theory. Then you can very easily dismantle that theory with several factors the show has even if its not explicitly said in the show, like

The sun and moon revolve around the planet and not vice versa

They are both much smaller than their real world counterparts and run on the same path as each other 

Other shows where this is indeed the case like "adventure time" make it known that its a post apocolyptic enviroment while MLP has no such thing backing it up

Ect

Pretty solid stuff to disprove a theory that is flimsy while never being brought up in the show, and much more interesting to read than "yer overthinking it m8" 

• Brohoof 1

How's this: You do what you want, and I'll do what I want.  Realistically, if it's something that "triggers" you, you're better off working on yourself than attempting to change how everyone else behaves.  I might dislike or complain about what someone else does (and not infrequently), but I can't actually or consistently make them stop doing it.  I've never mistakenly thought that I wielded that sort of power.  If you're genuinely shut down by someone pointing out what's kind of obvious (and not necessarily untrue), I'd question just how passionate you were about it to begin with.  Keep talking if you wanna keep talking; no one can stop you but you.

But, if you are this passionate, I'd suggest channeling that passion into something else.  A fanfic, for example.  Want to explore something the show hasn't canonically explored?  Want to do it without said "buckets of cold water?"  Write a fanfic.  Write a dozen of them; that's what fanfics are for.

*Throws bucket of cold water on nothing in particular.  Writes a fanfic about a cold bucket of water.*

• Brohoof 2

But it is rated Y so there's only so much you can get away with in a show like that, yes?

Content ratings are about what's aired is appropriate for kids. It doesn't mean they can't incorporate so many elements that it becomes an empty shell of a show. Dozens of episodes push across content that bridge multiple age demographics.

• Brohoof 1

Thankfully, I've never had or seen a topic killed by the cold water and the "it's a 'kids' show'" strawman, but it doesn't make it any less infuriating. Just like you, I put a lot of effort into analyzing, stating, and explaining why I like or hate something and what makes something good, average, or bad. Don't tell me these buzz-phrases, put in effort into responding back. Otherwise, your post is a waste of everyone's time.

Don't read this in an openly disrespectful tone.

One thing that's always bothered me about your approach: You're this "proudly controversial," self-proclaimed reviewer who seemingly embraces and celebrates criticizing the show.  And yet, when someone expresses a critical view of your criticism or opinion, it's immediately labeled objectively wrong.  That's practically your catchphrase.

And, regardless of how much effort you obviously put into your analyses, you still aren't fashioning a creative work of your own.  There's a certain measure of exaggeration inherent in this "analyst" attitude.  "I work really hard criticizing these things that other people probably worked even harder to make."  Okay.  Good.  But being a critic doesn't render you invulnerable against criticism; you should expect it.  Getting mad about negative and even dismissive reactions to your opinions flies in the face of your personal motto.  No one has to like or care about what you or anyone else thinks of the show; it's just as simple as that.

• Brohoof 4

Content ratings are about what's aired is appropriate for kids. It doesn't mean they can't incorporate so many elements that it becomes an empty shell of a show. Dozens of episodes push across content that bridge multiple age demographics.

For example: the only restriction on the "Twilight vs. Tirek" fight was "no punching in the face."

Didn't seem to bother them one bit. :lol:

• Brohoof 2

How's this: You do what you want, and I'll do what I want.  Realistically, if it's something that "triggers" you, you're better off working on yourself than attempting to change how everyone else behaves.  I might dislike or complain about what someone else does (and not infrequently), but I can't actually or consistently make them stop doing it.  I've never mistakenly thought that I wielded that sort of power.  If you're genuinely shut down by someone pointing out what's kind of obvious (and not necessarily untrue), I'd question just how passionate you were about it to begin with.  Keep talking if you wanna keep talking; no one can stop you but you.

But, if you are this passionate, I'd suggest channeling that passion into something else.  A fanfic, for example.  Want to explore something the show hasn't canonically explored?  Want to do it without said "buckets of cold water?"  Write a fanfic.  Write a dozen of them; that's what fanfics are for.

*Throws bucket of cold water on nothing in particular.  Writes a fanfic about a cold bucket of water.*

I have written fanfics actually, one of them was even read by The Lost Narrator under my O.C's name "billy g gruff" 

That's all well and good, but the goal of making a topic is different than making a fanfic. 

My goal is to start a conversation, which requires other people to interact with the topic. Many times I've had people engage in these conversations, but then dismissive posts derail the conversation and bring it to an untimely end. Sure, topics die all the time, but when its taken out because someone is stating the obvious that literally everyone knows before entering the discussion it gets irritating. 

That's why I have to pretty much spell out that those kind of responses just aren't welcome when I make a topic, cause not only do they add nothing they feel almost copy pasted and thoughtless. 

And yes, I've taken these ideas to fanfics, but when people are talking and swirling around ideas with one another it can bring up things one person wouldn't of thought of or seen before. That's what a discussion is for. 

• Brohoof 1

That's why I have to pretty much spell out that those kind of responses just aren't welcome when I make a topic, cause not only do they add nothing they feel almost copy pasted and thoughtless.

Well, that's the thing about a discussion: People still can and will respond in whatever way they please, regardless of what conditions you've set beforehand.  You can dislike it all you like.  *Looks at his sentence.*  You can dislike it all you want.  *Considers this rephrasing.  Decides that it's passable.*  But you're really in no more of a position to tell them they can't say those things than they are in a position to stop you from exploring certain concepts.

If it's a versus topic, though, I reserve the pseudo-right to go in and tell the OP that it's ridiculous.  Anyone who's taking a battle between a pony and probably-Sephiroth (and for the thousandth time) seriously is already wasting their own time.  "You aren't contributing to the topic!"  You aren't contributing anything to anything, ridiculous versus topic-creator.

Well, that's the thing about a discussion: People still can and will respond in whatever way they please, regardless of what conditions you've set beforehand.  You can dislike it all you like.  *Looks at his sentence.*  You can dislike it all you want.  *Considers this rephrasing.  Decides that it's passable.*  But you're really in no more of a position to tell them they can't say those things than they are in a position to stop you from exploring certain concepts.

If it's a versus topic, though, I reserve the pseudo-right to go in and tell the OP that it's ridiculous.  Anyone who's taking a battle between a pony and probably-Sephiroth (and for the thousandth time) seriously is already wasting their own time.  "You aren't contributing to the topic!"  You aren't contributing anything to anything, ridiculous versus topic-creator.

Actually you kind of do on these forums anyway, since the mods help respect the wishes of the original poster (as long as they are within reason and don't break guidelines/aren't backseat moderating)

You and I are in full agreement about VS topics though. They breed more flame wars than thoughtful discussion. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

@, I'm proudly controversial, and I'm not ashamed of it. I'm not afraid to publish analysis that go against the grain or popular trends if I have the reasons at my disposal. You might've read my piece calling Starlight's redemption better than Sunset's.

As a critic and analyst, I do expect people criticizing my opinions. To publish a review is to publish on a public forum. I wouldn't be publishing them without expecting feedback, whether it's on here or in the EQD comments section. Much of my content has been criticized, and plenty of the criticisms have been, to put it lightly, ridiculous. I get a lot of people telling me, "you're overthinking it," "it's a kids' show," or some other dismissive crap. But they don't put in the effort to refute my points. In fact, they enforce my points because they tell me they don't have an argument and instead vie for shortcuts. If anyone tells me this crap or any other lazy opinion, I'm going to tell them, "You're objectively wrong," and explain why because lazy opinions are wrong opinions, and I won't tolerate laziness. If they're going to express an opinion or statement, put in the effort to explain it so I can understand it. Otherwise, they waste everyone's time.

And I'm not always right here. After I published an angry analysis for Princess Spike, I received criticism because I stretched some points to where they made no sense. They were right, so I changed it.

And, regardless of how much effort you obviously put into your analyses, you still aren't fashioning a creative work of your own.

Your sentence here shows you don't understand media analyzing and reviewing. Reviews are a form of expression, and reviewers and analysts wouldn't typically review or analyze if they didn't enjoy the general content they like. As a brony, I like the show a lot; season five is my favorite, and I'm perhaps one of its biggest positive critics. But I'm not blind by its flaws, and I air them because I know this show is capable of doing better. I praise the good and criticize the bad; I'm going to be honest and fair.

Secondly, reviews and analysis are as much an art form as any other form of media. Reviewing/analyzing isn't merely jabbing fingers all over the keyboard. You still need to weave in how you write your words and explain your positions behind them so your audience can understand your reasoning even if they don't agree. When you create an audio-and-video review, the art form becomes multi-layered. YT reviewers sometimes spend hours on just one video because they want to publish quality production. One movie reviewer on my watch list spends a lot of time color- and audio-correcting his reviews, because it presents a valuable impression to both incoming and long-time watchers. Why do movie critics (both professional and amateur) review so many movies? Because they love movies. Brony analysts analyze and review content from the show because they like FIM. A great chunk of old-school Thomas & Friends fans bashed seasons eight through sixteen (especially thirteen through fifteen) because the storytelling in a show that they grew up to love was complete garbage; those criticisms paid off, because the last three seasons are much better.

To review is to tell a story of your own thoughts on something, and the ability to dissect and analyze media is as much a creative output as fiction-writing.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Your sentence here shows you don't understand media analyzing and reviewing. Reviews are a form of expression, and reviewers and analysts wouldn't typically review or analyze if they didn't enjoy the general content they like.

Secondly, reviews and analysis are as much an art form as any other form of media.

Your sentence (and the resulting paragraph) shows that you were bringing up points against an argument that I wasn't even making. xD  It's possible I've made it in the past, but nothing in my post ventured in that direction.

Do you truly feel as though your (or someone else's) analyses are comparable to the original creative works that they're analyzing?  Would you also, for example, consider an analysis of (for the sake of recognition) the Mona Lisa on par with the Mona Lisa itself?

And it's not about "right" or "wrong"; you're ultimately stating an opinion.  Whether or not a particular form of entertainment is good or bad / enjoyable or not is an opinion, and that's not an opinion.

Edited by Ziggy and Angelbaby
  • Brohoof 2