Would Ponies make good Jedi?

Nylon

(edited)

While rewatching the Star Wars films, a thought kinda occurred to me. Would ponies be able to be good handlers of the force? I'm not talking about just unicorns with there magic but any race of them, can you imagine them being as capable as any other species to be jedis?

Edited by Bored2death
  • Brohoof 2

Well when asked this question, it really depends on how one is defining the term "Jedi." By that, does one mean "person who can use the Force and fight with a lightsaber?" or more accurately, "person who lives an ascetic lifestyle of consciousness, spirituality, service to others, and inner peace?"

I would say no, "ponies" would not make good Jedi. Simply because they are all VERY different. That's like saying if all twi'lek would make good Jedi or Hell, all humans. However, there are ponies who I would say actually would make very good Jedi. Of all the Mane Six, the one I could see most easily making the transition would actually be Applejack. She's very grounded, has conviction and integrity, is VERY self-disciplined, and wouldn't find the Spartan lifestyle and self-sacrifice shocking to her regular life of service to others she already lives.

• Brohoof 1

First off, it's Jedi* not Jedis.

And to answer your question... It really depends on what you mean, do you mean just the force or the whole package with lightsabers etc? Sabers would be problematic because.. well.. hooves (and lack of technology), but just controlling the force.. Probably not either. Maybe one pony would have the psyche that is required but just as Steel A said, ponies are just so very different. Zecora might be based off Yoda or something but she's not even a pony.

That being said, here's my best guess for mlp SW characters:

Celestia = Ben

Twilight = Leia

RD = Han

AJ = Luke

Spike = R2-D2

Rarity = C-3PO

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Asking whether an ENTIRE SPECIES would make good Jedi is a bit strange. In Star Wars lore most people were unsuitable to become Jedi, mainly because they couldn't use the force. With the old order, with the exception of a few cases, all the Initiates were brought to the Jedi temple as infants, whether they, or their family, wanted them to or not​. They were raised under Jedi doctrine training to be one thing, Jedi. Now there were many types of Jedi; the diplomatic​ consular, the law bringing Guardians, or the stealthy and crafty Sentinels. One thing Jedi were encouraged not to do is to defer from the Jedi code which, among other things, discouraged emotion and passion, two things that ponies have an abundance of, with the latter usually being at least fairly important in helping ponies to find their cutie marks. Now it would still be possible for ponies to get their cutie marks whilst becoming a Jedi, they would still have access to the massive Jedi archives as well as the mechanical wing, the medical wing and the many, many meditation rooms. So yes, a few could become Jedi, but most would make terrible Jedi and some including the Mane 6, Starlight, Sunset, and Princess Cadence​ would make​ excellent Grey Jedi which is a sort of mid point between Dark Jedi and Jedi.

Let me elaborate: the Sith Code, rather than discouraging all emotion, except hate and anger, it encourages it. The second line of which is as follows:

"Through passion I gain strength."

Now first lets take Twilight & Co. as an example. What is the key feature that binds them together? A strong and passionate friendship. What does Twilight reference as the most powerful magic of all? Friendship. So you could say that Twilight & Co. gained strength through passion, in the form of Friendship. Now lets take Princess Cadence as an example. What is Cadence the princess of? Love. What is love a form of? Passion. See where I'm going with this? No? Okay then: what I'm saying is that most 'good guys' would make terrible Jedi and pretty naff Sith (they don't use their strength for personal gain, see spoiler for more but it does contain spoilers for Equestria Girls and S5 Finale).

The exceptions of course being pre-reform Starlight and Sunset.

They would however make great Grey Jedi as Grey Jedi truly bring balance to the force; they create harmony whilst still maintaining their emotions (Luke being the most notable Grey Jedi).

That is all. Good day.

Edited by BritishBrony 13
  • Brohoof 3

• 1 month later...

@@Bored2death

Much like the rest of all these fine bronies and pegasisters I'd say No. Not if you are talking about the whole species.  Though i do see it as an interesting question, I would say that even though some of the ponies are not cut out for the lifestyle you have to remember we've only seen luke and rey become jedi when they're older. Most jedi's are adopted into the order at a very early age usually before they can have defined personalities. So if the ponies were being trained as jedi before even the CMC's age, They'd make great jedi.

Also to note is  as Equestrian society is based around friendship, most of them would likely be accepting of the 'bring peace' purpose that the jedi had when they became part of the government (i'm not really sure how to put it but we all now that they aren't exactly a separate body in the prequels).

Ponies would make fine Jedi. Any creature with a conscious will to do good (and has the abilities of course) can be a Jedi. Wielding a lightsaber would be helpful, but there are other ways at a Jedi's disposal for using the Force and battling injustice. It's in a Jedi's nature to overcome difficult obstacles and this would simply be another one. Lateral thinking is a quality inherent in the Jedi so I think the ponies would be able to handle it, especially considering their wisdom, kindness and focus. 

And I do have a T-shirt with a picture of Derpy handling a lightsaber on it, so yeah, I think they could manage that too if they set their minds to it. 

• Brohoof 1

There hasn't been any sign of Force wielding in MLP. Magic doesn't count as magic and the Force are a bit different. The Matrix has characters I feel could wield or are already wielding the Force for example.