Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does character love determine preferred race?

ManaMinori

If you love a character(s) for their character first and appearance second, can the majority of characters that you like of a specific race determine your preferred pony race with accuracy?

Out of gen 4, I like Star Dreams, Vinyl Scratch, Sunset Shimmer, Rarity, Amethyst Star, Twilight Velvet, Babs, Maude, Pinkie, Limestone, Twist, Truffle, Luna, Derpy, and Scootaloo.

6 are unicorns, 1 is an alicorn, 6 are earth ponies, and 2 are pegasi. But, to my knowledge, I never really held earth ponies in as high a tier as unicorns (don't get me wrong, I love nature, and love that earth ponies are nature ponies). Never expected, if character ties are anything to go by, that earth would be tied with unicorn.

But what do you guys think, for your own character likes determining your preferred race?

My favorites are (in order)

1. Fluttershy
  2. Rainbow Dash
  3. Twilight Sparkle
  4. Daring Do
  5. Sweetie Belle
  6. Coco Pommel
  7. Octavia

So 3 pegasi, 2 earth ponies, and 2 unicorns. My favorite race are pegasi, followed by unicorns. But I have always associated Fluttershy's graceful wings with nature. And I love nature, so, maybe that's why. :P

Edited by Elemental Fluttershy

My favorites in order (idk why we're all doing top 7 so I'll do 8)

1. Scootaloo

2. Fluttershy

3. Rainbow Dash

4. Pinkie Pie

5. Moondancer

6. Sweetie Belle

7. Big Mac

8. Lyra

I like characters for their personality traits or how entertaining they are, not because of their appearance. But now that I think about it, most of the ponies that I like are pegasi..

Edited by PonyLaces
  • Brohoof 1

I like Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity and Zecora. Really I can't say I like them for their race, even if it gives them interesting traits. But moreover I have always liked these characters for their personalities and actions first and foremost.

Liking specific traits inn a character is fine, but I honestly don't think you should be liking a character primarily for their appearance, let alone race, unless it's a background character. It just seems rather shallow and quite frankly, prejudiced.

Edited by Cwanky

I don't think the OP was asking if a pony's race makes you like them, more if your favorite pony race was related to your favorite pony character. I like unicorns the most as a race, and Pinkie the most as a character. :)

• Brohoof 2

Don't get me wrong I do realize that and I'm not trying to bash anyone, not deliberately at least for their preferences. That said its still very easy to get caught up with appearances and dare I say showing preferences can lead to unfortunate implications. It's why the whole alicorn Twilight issue exists.

That said come to think of it, my favorite characters are rather all over the place. Plus even though I slightly prefer earth ponies, I don't care as much about their nature connections or strength. My love for Applejack has always been about her personality, which is down to "earth," but that's the one remotely earth pony thing I care about her.

My favorite characters, in no particular order, would be...

• Fluttershy
  • Rainbow Dash
  • Discord
  • Luna
  • Pinkie Pie
  • Bulk Biceps
  • Tree Hugger
  • Derpy
  • Daring Do
  • Doctor Whooves

Five pegasi, three earth ponies, one draconequus, and one alicorn.

Pegasi are my favorite race, so I guess favorite ponies do influence favorite race. Or, does favorite race influence your favorite ponies? Hmm...

Maybe it does determine preferred race? 

My favorites in order-

Spitfire

Starlight Glimmer

Fluttershy

Twilight

Rainbow Dash

My favorite type of pony is pegasus, followed by unicorn. Three of my favorite characters are pegasi, one is a unicorn, and one is an alicorn. I don't think my favorite characters determine preferred race, and maybe abilities and stuff determine preferred race. 

It could certainly be a contributing factor.  But in my case, my favourite pony is Luna, but my favourite race would probably be the Pegasi.  However, quite a number of my other favourites, Derpy, Rainbow Dash and Cloud Chaser, are all Pegasi.  I also like Twilight and Big Mac.

On the whole I would say it may contribute, but does not determine by itself alone.

My favorites are in order

Rarity

Rainbow Dash (they switched places for my first and second)

Scootaloo

Maude

Sooo...two pegasai (that is my favorite pony race), but one can't fly and who knows if she ever will? I love Rarity because she's clever, and has some of the best lines of the show (IMO). Rainbow Dash is the type I can't help admire (which is why I relate to Scootaloo. I have high aspirations but also disabled to a small degree preventing me from doing everything to the extent I want to do it. Maude is just delightfully deadpan.  I like the idea of flying so I prefer pegasai but for the most part that doesn't come in to play when choosing my favorites.

Edited by Aurora Storm

My favourite mane 6 characters are in order: 

- Fluttershy

- Rarity

- Applejack

- Pinkie Pie

(The others I'm not all that fond of)

My favourite non mane 6 characters are in order:

- Luna

- Apple Bloom

- Maud Pie

- Sweetie Belle

- Fleur De lis

But my favourite race is Unicorn, purely because if I was a pony I'd want to be a unicorn (magic is cool) 

For some people maybe, but for me my favorite pony race has a lot more to do with what I would want to be if I became a pony and that is a unicorn. 

I might have a preference for pegasi, Rainbow Dash is my favorite pony, and Derpy used to be my favorite too. I don't know, I find them more interesting.

My favorite ponies are Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and Sunset. (And possibly Starlight if her upcoming episodes are good.) That would suggest I prefer unicorns, but I don't really care that much about the race of the ponies. I like them for their personalities, not for their race.