Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Most Overrated/ Underrated Albums/Bands Ever

Cynic

Overrated: LMFAO

They might be good at producing catchy songs, but their lyrics are just not good. At all. All they seem to write about is partying, partying, and more partying. And songs with lyrics like the ones in "Sexy and I Know It" make me weep for humanity.

I don't care how catchy it is, I refuse to listen to songs with lyrics as uneducated as the ones in LMFAO songs.

Also Overrated: Nicki Minaj

I can't express how much I hate Nicki Minaj. Just go listen to the song "Stupid Hoe" and no more explanation will be needed.

Underrated: Rise Against

They are one of my favourite rock bands of all time (and I'm going to a concert of theirs on the tenth of May ^.^), for the exact opposite reason as why I hate the two artist mentioned above. Their lyrics always have incredible meaning, and the songs themselves are very well-produced. With songs like "Hero of War" and "Help is On the Way", this band has everything I want to listen to in rock music.

• Brohoof 1

Underrated Album: Illud Divinum Insanus by Morbid Angel

Reason It's Underrated: Illud Divinum Insanus was Morbid Angel's first album in eight years, and they wanted to try something different-so they attempted mixing their death metal sound with a newfound industrial metal sound. Fans and critics instantly rejected it, however it's not that bad an album. Sure, there are three songs that are absolute garbage on the album (Too Extreme!, Destructos Vs. The Earth - Attack, and Radikult), but overall, it isn't that bad an album. Certainly not as bad as some critics are saying.

Underrated: Rise Against

They are one of my favourite rock bands of all time (and I'm going to a concert of theirs on the tenth of May ^.^), for the exact opposite reason as why I hate the two artist mentioned above. Their lyrics always have incredible meaning, and the songs themselves are very well-produced. With songs like "Hero of War" and "Help is On the Way", this band has everything I want to listen to in rock music.

Rise Against isn't exactly underrated. I mean, Savior and Prayer Of The Refugee are both extremely popular songs by mainstream standards.

Rise Against isn't exactly underrated. I mean, Savior and Prayer Of The Refugee are both extremely popular songs by mainstream standards.

Compared to some of the more popular artists these days, they are certainly underrated.

I know far more people that listen to mainstream pop/hip-hop than bands like Rise Against.

Okay... everypony sit back because this is going to be a relatively long post. I'm a musician myself, so I have some very firm opinions.

First for the Over rated bands. I'll start off by band name and then give a description of why I feel as such:

Dragonforce: Why? The entire reason can be described in one word. FAKE.

Yes, Dragonforce is a Fake band. And by fake, I don't mean that the people who are in the band are fakes, no. I mean that Dragonforce fakes there music. There are "numerous" videos of them playing through songs of which their tunings and their fret positions do not match the notes that are being played. In fact, for those who have ever seen the official music video for "Through the Fire and the Flames" may have realized that with the exception of the solo, which again, is shown completely wrong in the video according to their "official" tuning for the song, they use lighting effects to completely hide the hands of the herman and their other guitarist(I forget his name) to hide teh fact that all of their music, when being played live, or for their video is not actually being played by them. It's a recording. Not to mention, when they "do" play the intro of "TtFatF" on 'a' guitar instead of a keaboard, they show that Herman is the only one playing when then fact is they actually play that on 7 different guitars. Come on Guys really? I almost have the intro perfected on one. It's not that hard.

So, pre-recorded concerts, fake music Videos, and fake music in general, clear reasons, (in my opinion) why Dragonforce is the most overrated band in existence, and don't deserve to have something as awesome as dragons even remotely resembling them, let alone be in their name.

Another band that is Over-Rated that well, is a 'band' but more of an artist. Kid Rock.

Now I don't know what I hate more. Bands that create Fake music, or artists who steal other bands music for their own. Kid Rock has done this twice. The first time he has done this was with "Sweet Home Alabama" in all summer long, using Lynyrd Skynyrd's top five songs, (in my opinion) taking almost a carbon copy of the music and putting his own Lyrics to it. IT made me absolutely angry to no end. The Second time he did this was the one that ticked me off the most. He ripped offMETALLICA, and I amd a hardcore Metallica fan. They aren't my favorite band anymore but they are still up there. But come on Kid Rock, I'm surprised Metallica hasn't sued the pants off of Kid Rock for once again cutting their lyrics out of Sad But True and pasting his own over them. HE EVEN LEFT IN THE SOLO. I'm sorry, but I have lost all respect for Kid Rock and he doesn't even deserve half of the fame that he has in my opinion.

The Last band that I'm going to Say is Over Rated if nothing else is because well, Everything sounds the same is Godsmack. Seriously? Every single song I've heard from them sounds EXACTLY like "Love, Hate, Sex and Pain." It's in the same tuning, the same chords, almost the same progressions and very, VERY similar rhythms. That's honestly my one complaint about them.

Bands that are Underrated.

I agree that Lincoln Park is a band that is "very" under-rated, and often misunderstood. On of my friends actually when out of his way to say that the only reason that he hated Lincoln Park was because they were a screamo band when that is not the case at all. IF anything they are grunge. It just so happens that the grunge vocalist had a high pitched voice, but that is definitely more grunge than screamo. Lincoln park isn't my favorite band by any means. But I will definitely say that they are probably one of the most misunderstood.

Another band that is VERY underrated in my opinion is New Metallica. I'll be the first to admit that their new stuff isn't as good as some of their older songs, but I would let my judgement be clouded my minor differences in the shifts in music. I do agree that Metallica could still wipe the stage with most of the bands that exist today if they were to go back to their roos and write like they used to, but the fact is, is that even though their new music isn't "The holy grail of metal" It still very much has that Metallica feel for them,, and in my opinion, as stated, I like most of their newer stuff. It's decent for what they were trying to do, and I respect that.

Finally, another band that is moderately underrated just because of their versatility, is Shinedown. Shinedown is my #1 favorite band that is in existence right now BECAUSE of their Versatility. They can go from a song like "What a Shame" Which is a Slower, ballad rock feel type song, to a song like The sound of madness, or Diamond eyes, which are very much classified as metal where ate same time they have songs like Unity, and Bully which can go under alternative, and Unity right now is my favorite non-mlp song at the moment. Not to mention that Shinedown not only a couple years ago, finished their Sound-of-Madness tour and almost immediately went on an all acoustic tour. Which only further adds to how most people can misinterpret them, and also shows just how versatile of a band that they are. I can only hope that any band that I can get together will be anywhere near as versatile as they are.

So, like I said at the beginning this was a very long post. Most of everything in the underrated portion of the post are opinions, but a lot of the overrated contains some facts to back up what is also mostly opinion.

• Brohoof 1

Most I agree with except with two points.

-While I'm not a fan of Dragonforce, I think it would be going a tad bit far to say they're fake. Overrated, definitely.

-I think I'm the only one that finds Linkin Park overrated.

(edited)

-While I'm not a fan of Dragonforce, I think it would be going a tad bit far to say they're fake. Overrated, definitely.

I'd only consider LP's older crap overrated.

Edited by Cynic

Most sh!t on the radio is WAYYYY overrated. Not only is it the same song over and over again, it is very musically dumb too. They ALL use te same time and key and everything. Also, I think that as somepony else said the newer A7x is overrated while the older stuff is underrated.

Underrated is, as said before, Linkin Park's new stuff.(I love Burn It Down) as well as bands like The Black Keys.

Rush

Rush is actually my favorite band. I've been listening to them for a long time (like 11 years) and I have yet to hear a band that even comes close to them.

By the way, epic signature!!!

• Brohoof 1

Rush is actually my favorite band. I've been listening to them for a long time (like 11 years) and I have yet to hear a band that even comes close to them.

By the way, epic signature!!!

Thanks, I saw their "Time Machine" tour, it was EPIC!!!
  • Brohoof 1

Everybody knows Enter Sandman. It's such a mediocre song that, for some reason, is one of their most popular songs.

That's because the Black album is where they started their BIG mainstream shift, in my opinion. Enter Sandman, Unforgiven and Nothing Else Matters are on any rock station's rotation.

And while I agree with you that it's overrated, I have to go on record and say that the Black album is one of the best produced albums on the planet. Everything is mixed and leveled so well, it makes me wonder how they messed up so badly on St. Anger.

That's because the Black album is where they started their BIG mainstream shift, in my opinion. Enter Sandman, Unforgiven and Nothing Else Matters are on any rock station's rotation.

Exactly. I think Enter Sandman is incredibly overrated.

I'd only consider LP's older crap overrated.

Honestly, I think Linkin Park is kind of overrated in general.

Edited by RainbowDash92
  • Brohoof 2

Overrated: City and Color.

Actually, I hadn't even heard of him until I really got into Thrice. I didn't know he was so popular that he could be considered overrated. Anyways, the only song I've ever listened to by him was Fragile Bird, and I liked it. So I can't really state my opinion. :mellow:

And while I agree with you that it's overrated, I have to go on record and say that the Black album is one of the best produced albums on the planet. Everything is mixed and leveled so well, it makes me wonder how they messed up so badly on St. Anger.

St. Anger wasn't supposed to have good production, though. The point of St. Anger was to make it sound like it was an album released by a garage band. Personally, I loved St. Anger.

Overated: Justin Bieber and pretty much every douche pop band today, it's like every song has to do with sex these days and people wonder why high school girls are getting pregnant.

Underated: Pretty much every classic rock-modern rock bands today (Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, coldplay,30 seconds to mars, Rush ects.).

Also, literally every one of those bands you listed are critically acclaimed musicians who sell millions of albums. Maiden and Rush are by no means underrated.

On 4/30/2012 at 3:08 AM, 'Dragonshy' said:

Overrated: Rap music. I hate it with a passion. Must I explain? Justin Bieber. Also, alot of music at the time is mindless and uncreative.

yes, i would very much want you to explain why you hate rap music, or rather, hip-hop, as it is called, since "rap" refers to the lyrical structure sung in said music.

Justin Bieber? you're not clumping him together with hip-hop, are you? xD also, i think all of the hate against him is laughable at this point. alright, we get it, you hate the biggest current pop-star there is right now. he'll probably die out soon, and you'll hate on the next biggest teenage pop-star or something.

also, where are you making the assumption that, i quote, "alot of music at the time is mindless and uncreative."? where are you basing that fact of? mainstream music? the pop industry? what they air on the radio? have you already forgotten the whole community of musicians in the pony fandom, or hell, even the official songs in the show? are they "mindless and uncreative"? have you ever decided to look past the top 40 hits list of today? because it doesn't sound like you are when you're basing that assumption.

On 4/30/2012 at 3:32 AM, 'Cynic' said:

Meh, I wouldn't say that. DNB is pretty popular.

underground, maybe, but still not as big as the more popular forms of EDM, such as house, trance, and dubstep. i've heard that being on here and there, but drum 'n bass? not really. hell, i had no idea about the genre until i got into the genre, really. i wouldn't really call it 'popular' in that sense if you have to spend some time and actually dig around to find stuff from it.

On 4/30/2012 at 4:59 AM, 'NeverNeverland' said:

and this is another point. while i don't personally care for this band, i hate it when people throw around that something is "fake" or "fake-music" or whatever. music is music, end of story. just because YOU don't like it doesn't automatically give you the privilege to throw around, what is and what isn't, music. that's extremely ignorant, to say the least.

so anyways, what i find overrated/underrated? err, i dunno what to say! i am not very well versed about this thing, honestly.

possibly various EDM artists i like would fall under the category of underrated, or at least don't getting enough of attention (is that the same thing?). like Petriform, June LaLonde, Graz, Rchetype, and tons more. overrated i can't say, really, since i like more music than i don't like. what i don't like i either put aside as being indifferent or end up liking, anyway. yes i am weird.

Edited by Viscra Maelstrom
  • Brohoof 2

Well considering hardly anyone I've ever met in my life has even heard of Rush, I would say they are pretty underrated.

Move to Canada.

Overrated: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Not even my favorite Beatles album.

Awww... But Within You Without You and She's Leaving Home are amazing songs.