Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Over a third into the season in synopsis and no map episodes...

Unlikeable Pony

So, we've got the synopsis for over 1/3 of the season so far, and we haven't had a single map episode yet: do you think there will be any/many this season, or do  you think it was primarily meant as a device for S5 and won't be dealt with much this season?

I mean, we're up to episode ELEVEN in synopsis, almost halfway into the season, and NOTHING. kind of makes me think its purpose really WAS just to get starlight into the group and then be forgotten :/

The map is one thing I feel is a bit of a loose end. With previous things like the Journal it made sense why they faded into the background. With the map there really isn't any reason for it to. If it's purpose is to warn the Mane Six of "Friendship Quests" that need their attention it should still be active.

I don't think it needs to be used too often either. Just a few episodes this season would be fine, so we don't forget it exists and we're shown it's still playing a role, but not so much that it feels like it's the main purpose for the Mane six to do things.

Edited by BasementLuna
  • Brohoof 1

Eh I dont know why either. It's kind of odd to have in one season but never trigger in another..i mean they sit around tha table all the time . I mean come on it has to go off sometime. unless Starlight tampering broke it haha

Eh I dont know why either. It's kind of odd to have in one season but never trigger in another..i mean they sit around tha table all the time . I mean come on it has to go off sometime. unless Starlight tampering broke it haha

I'm kind of starting to think that the map was much like Starlight's spell in MMC, just a means to an end without a real purpose that's meant to be brushed aside and forgotten about after its done its purpose.

In this case, the staff wanted to introduce a new character (starlight) and used the map for that end, with the map episodes to keep focus on it through the season, and now that its given us starlight, the staff have kind of forgotten about it since its only real purpose was for starlight's two parters (Introduce her and give her a means to time travel)

A map episode happening is still possible, there's still plenty of episodes still unannounced. That said I wouldn't care if they dropped the map, it was underused in S5, being only used in 5 episodes(Cutie Map, Griffonstone, Made In Manehattan, Hoofields and McColts, Cutie Remark), and only 2 of those I'd consider good(Cutie Map, Griffonstone)

At the very least, I wouldn't really care if it was dropped

• Brohoof 2

Tbh, I don't like most of map episodes, except the pairing is good, Rarijack in Made in Manehattan,  Pinkiedash in The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone ^_^

I actually prefer episodes which are like a sitcom set in ponyville starring mane six....So no map episode doesn't bother me

So, we've got the synopsis for over 1/3 of the season so far, and we haven't had a single map episode yet: do you think there will be any/many this season, or do  you think it was primarily meant as a device for S5 and won't be dealt with much this season?

I mean, we're up to episode ELEVEN in synopsis, almost halfway into the season, and NOTHING. kind of makes me think its purpose really WAS just to get starlight into the group and then be forgotten :/

From an interview with Larson, it seems like the map episodes were Meghan's idea.

Meghan's conceit for the map was that it would call the mane six to various parts of Equestria where they would essentially serve as "ambassadors of friendship." She wanted to have three map episodes with two ponies in each...

Now Josh Haber is the story editor while Meghan's attention is more focused on the movie it seems. If the map isn't being utilized still, then it may just be Haber didn't feel the need to continue using it, kind of like how the letters originally set up by Lauren ended up getting phased out after Meghan became story editor.

Oh joy. So many places in Equestria will go unexplored again.

I mean, I was so hopeful about the Cutie Map, and we have all these locations revealed on that official map that got released... I don't dislike Ponyville or anything, but it bums me out that I've wanted to see a lot more of Equestria, we have a plot device to get us to those places, yet it's still barely being done.

• Brohoof 2

From an interview with Larson, it seems like the map episodes were Meghan's idea.

Now Josh Haber is the story editor while Meghan's attention is more focused on the movie it seems. If the map isn't being utilized still, then it may just be Haber didn't feel the need to continue using it, kind of like how the letters originally set up by Lauren ended up getting phased out after Meghan became story editor.

Bleh; I already disliked haber as is, and if that's true, I have another reason to add to my list :/

Tbh, I don't like most of map episodes, except the pairing is good, Rarijack in Made in Manehattan,  Pinkiedash in The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone ^_^

I actually prefer episodes which are like a sitcom set in ponyville starring mane six....So no map episode doesn't bother me

I kind of felt that the map would have been a good way to allow for the non slice of life episodes to feel less strange: Like they could do a couple more high stakes or adventure type episodes (like what the comics do from time to time) with the map as the catalyst so as to make the mane six finding out about such situations seem less strange. Kind of like how gauntlet of fire worked as an episode due to Spike being called by the glowing summons, have the mane six called to fix up problems like what Starlight's cult was by the map.

Yeah I mean I guess they didn't need the cutie map anymore but come on..was it just for Starlight this whole time?  I mean we never hear about them writing in thier journal anymore.. they were all like 'Hey we gave up the elements for this here fancy Castle pff screw saving lessons for future generations right. OH and let never mention the Tree of Harmony EVER again."

"Oh cool twlight go castle what do we get for saving the world...oh a chair...yipee *sarcastic*
For being a council of friendship..they sure don't do much, Twilight being bored in that Manehatton episode proves it..what does she do other then smile and wave..well and events off screen(aka those things she did for Princess Spike episode)  okay getting off track.

Why is this season even being marketed as explore equestria, if the cutie map has gone the way of Celestia's letters and the journal from season 4?

Exactly, that bugs me. Traveling Equestria and the newest thing we've seen were the dragon lands, as the Crystal Empiyah and Manehattan (which we're visiting AGAIN in a future episode) were already seen :huh:. Dudes, give us a bit of Hollow Shades, Baltimare Fillydelphia or something 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

A synopsis for Spice Up Your Life says that Rarity and Pinkie are called up to Canterlot to solve a problem. Sounds like the map's MO to me.

With Spice Up Your Life sounding a lot like a Map episode(and almost like a copy-and-paste of Griffonstone), it looks like we'll be getting them. Pairings are either gonna be AJ/Fluttershy and Rainbow/Twilight(hoping for these two personally) or AJ/Twilight and RD/Fluttershy(no way they're doing FS and Twilight againso no AppleDash :()

With Spice Up Your Life sounding a lot like a Map episode(and almost like a copy-and-paste of Griffonstone), it looks like we'll be getting them. Pairings are either gonna be AJ/Fluttershy and Rainbow/Twilight(hoping for these two personally) or AJ/Twilight and RD/Fluttershy(no way they're doing FS and Twilight againso no AppleDash :()

Eh, I kind of hope we don't get a Twi/RD one. Those type of episodes tend to be "RD is an idiot for 90%, stops being one near the end" :P

I'm more hoping for AJ/Twilight. Those two tend to have better chemistry IMO, since they're both pretty independent and competent characters, but can have vastly different views on things (especially in the comics where AJ tends to have more of a spine and fight against twilight on things that she disagrees with), so they work very well together. And Fluttershy/dash is always Absolute golden chemistry.

• Brohoof 1

Eh, I kind of hope we don't get a Twi/RD one. Those type of episodes tend to be "RD is an idiot for 90%, stops being one near the end" :P

We've only had one in the whole show and it ended up being one of the best episodes in the show :P. Besides I need more TwiDash in my life

Also Fluttershy/AJ is also a pretty underused pairing that could use more exposure

(edited)

We've only had one in the whole show and it ended up being one of the best episodes in the show :P. Besides I need more TwiDash in my life

Also Fluttershy/AJ is also a pretty underused pairing that could use more exposure

Im always amazed at how the two most popular Dash ships (maybe FlutterDash might be more popular than AppleDash now I don't know) have had almost NOTHING in the show.

Fluttershy/AJ just doesn't seem interesting to me, but then Fluttershy/anything rarely seems interesting to me.

And when it comes to Rarity while im happy to see Rarity/Pinkie getting some shoring up since it definitely needed it I kinda wish it was Rarity/Twilight instead since I think they've literally never had a full episode.

When it comes to other possible pairings id like AJ/Twilight since while they get quite a bit of interaction in adventure episodes with AJ usually serving as the Lancer to Twilight's Hero I don't think they've ever had a PROPER full on Applejack and Twilight episode ether.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz