Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Luna's Mane from S1 - S2, what happened?

Chrysalisa

I don't see how this could have happened. Her mane went from a solid looking blue-ish violet to, well... a mane that looks more like a galaxy. And her mane was short like so after she came back from the the moon, so that's not what could have made the change. What happened?

Posted Image

Posted Image

This:

Posted Image

But seriously, maybe like €ℨƴηℯłℓ said, it may have something to do with the animators conveying her newly revived authority over the nighttime.

• Brohoof 6

I think that when the mane 6 used the Elements, it stripped Luna of her magical power in order to free her from Nightmare Moon. It took her time to recover and to get some of her power back. The smaller, lighter blue Luna that we saw in episode 2 was Luna as she had looked when she was younger, when she wasn't as powerful. Now we see her as the princess of the night.

i'd like to think she has 2 forms, actually.

at night, her true form is being shown as the Princess of Darkness, which is what we saw on Luna Eclipsed and in the season finale. during the daylight, she has the same small form we saw in S1's pilot, and isn't quite as powerful as she is on the night. thus she would reside to something less demanding of her powers, like perhaps taking care of the scrolls Celestia gets sent. or maybe just resting altogether, since taking care of all the night must be a pretty demanding task.

now, you might ask what my reasoning behind this is? well, in Luna Eclipsed she ONLY appeared at Nightmare Night. and in the season finale, only on the night, as well. and in the second part of A Canterlot Wedding, when Chrysalis invades the kingdom, and her Changelings take over Canterlot. did you see Luna try to take care of the problem that is at hoof?

exactly. she couldn't take care of the problem, because she was in her small form during the daylight, i.e. not as potent as she is during the darkness of the night. it can be assumed that she was inside resting during the day, to grow back her powers at night's beginning. which would explain why she went all "did i miss anything?" at the end of the season finale.

so with my superior sidetracking skills from the topic, summary: at night, she's in her full form as shown in Luna Eclipsed and the season finale. during the day, she is in her small and weak form we saw in the season 1 pilot episode. that's what i think, anyway.

In the Nightmare Night episode, she had the ability to change into Nightmare Moon in order to scare the children, yes?

I think it's just a personal preference sort of thing.

I'm more curious how she went from "filly Luna" to suddenly adult Luna...

From season 1 to season 2 Luna seems have gotten older(it seemed that way to me). Although Cadence is also a princess, her mane is normal. I wonder if their manes change as they get older?

Well I'm pretty sure each episode doesn't happen a day after the other (exceptions are the two-parters) so it must have been atleast half a year since Luna last appeared.The two possible explanations are:

1.What Ezynell said

2.Alicorns go from filly to adult extremely fast but then seem to stop aging after that.

Found a Youtube comment reguarding this, which explains it more solidly than anything I'm seeing in here. I very much agree with this one.

"Luna and Celestia were both very young when Luna was banished to the moon. During that thousand year period, Celestia aged properly and grew her ethereal mane. When Nightmare Moon was turned back into Luna, she was still young Luna, and between her two appearances she aged more rapidly than usual to bring herself to her proper age, thusly, obtaining her own ethereal mane."~'MrDakotaWood', Youtube

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 4

This:

Posted Image

But seriously, maybe like €ℨƴηℯłℓ said, it may have something to do with the animators conveying her newly revived authority over the nighttime.

I posted the same on a thread which discussed nearly the same thing :D

I posted the same on a thread which discussed nearly the same thing :D

Yeah, I think that's what pretty non-canonically clears it up.

I wonder why Luna was so upset, her new mane is beautiful! :)

Agreed.

Not only that, though, it just makes me wonder what pain(?) the animators who do such wonderful work, have to go through, they're manes are animated every single frame they are on-screen! I don't want to think about this, but is that probably why they showed her only a few episodes? I mean, probably Luna's is harder because of the celestial (no pun intended) sparkles in her mane.

Well, then again, it didn't look like that in S1E2... :/

Never thought of this. Well I guess in a sense but that would sound legit, IF THIS WAS POKEMON...

lol

Did she play it too much.....

OR DOES MLP TAKE PLACE IN THE POKEMON WORLD?!?! *LE GASP*

Dun Dun Dunnnnnnnnnnn........

• Brohoof 1

lol

Did she play it too much.....

OR DOES MLP TAKE PLACE IN THE POKEMON WORLD?!?! *LE GASP*

Dun Dun Dunnnnnnnnnnn........

*Le wild Luna appears!*

Twighlight uses Elements of Harmony!

Super affective

• 1 month later...

Luna was on the moon without a shower for a 1000 years. Suddenly she is reunited with her sister.

What do a pair of silly fillies do when every night is a slumber party? MAKEOVER!