Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

searching The Sparkling Sector (Sci-fi, Space, OOC)

Tone Shift

(edited)

Game Room: https://mlpforums.com/topic/151813-the-sparkling-sector-sci-fi-space/#entry4515868

OLD POST HERE

I have been playing a lot of Freelancer lately, and as such am into the sort of sci-fi space sim kind of genre. However, multiplayer freelancer is severely lacking in terms of any sort of storyline, and I don't want to mod it. I've done a bit of design work and came up with what I call the Sparkling Sector, a closely gather plane of stars that has allowed the Interstellar travel between then for futuristic pony-kind. A basic summary of the lore can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oB_vik4eH3fobxyGctAJCzVSCHF_d6nxa31eqReDTK0/edit?usp=sharing

And a map of the systems relative to each other is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Wj9cxsPjp6cS1tdUU3ZERLSVU/view?usp=sharing

Thing is, I'm not entirely sure what story to have happen amongst these stars. I'd rather keep aliens (civilized aliens, at least.) out of it. I drew a LOT of inspiration from Freelancer, but I don't want to straight up rip it off.

I was figuring I'd run an RP here, but before that can get underway, some sort of storyline or at least a prompt needs to be come up with.

Suggestions?

Equestrian society has come a long way. In the last two-hundred years, they have risen from the cradle of their homeworld, and learned so much about the universe they live in. Wonderous advances in science and technology, interstellar space-flight, and the terraforming and colonization of planets. From the outside, or to the particularly naive, it may seem like a perfect utopia.

But it isn't.

There are problems in the colonies. Pirate attacks on trade convoys and civilian transports, natural disasters and unknown space phenomanae just list a few of the problems the colonies are having to face on a daily basis.

after a horrific disaster in the Arpel system left many of the inhabitants of it's planets dead or poisoned with Radiation, rumors have begun to spread of a rebellion brewing. Most shrug it off, but after a large civilian transport is destroyed in the Daash system with very few survivors, these rumors are taken a bit more seriously.

Our story will follow a group of survivors from said attack, their story begining on the Blitz Navy Station in orbit around Planet Prism, a lush world of jungles and lakes.

==================================================

LORE LINK: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oB_vik4eH3fobxyGctAJCzVSCHF_d6nxa31eqReDTK0/edit?usp=sharing

MAP LINK: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Wj9cxsPjp6cS1tdUU3ZERLSVU/view?usp=sharing

This is a Science-Fiction, Freelancer inspired Roleplay. I have explained some of the need-to-know information above in the intro, but the Lore and Map links will supply even more information on the setting.

A few basic rules:

1. No Alicorns, please. I hold no personal grudges against Alicorns, but I would rather keep them out. It's just a personal preference.

2. NPC's can be brought in by players in this RP. The player who brings in this RP is the one who has primary control over the NPC, but if they deem it appropriate they may grant permission to other players to control the NPC.

3. As I suspect there will be at least some action here, no killing of other players without permission.

4. Please keep your power level in check.

5. If you have to leave the game for some reason, try to make sure your character has a logical reason for poofing, and give us some advance warning if you are able. I know that circumstances won't always permit that, but do try, please.

I think, beyond that, you should get the idea. Any questions? ask em and I will answer.

As a reminder, we will be starting on Blitz Navy Base in the Daash system.

Edited by Skijarama
  • Brohoof 1

I don't know what Freelancer is, but this is still interesting. Could I join even if I don't know anything about the game?

You could. I'd recommend doing some research first, both on Freelancer and on the setting here. My setting here is still a bit work-in-progress-y, so information is likely going to be added and/or changed before the actual RP starts.

Alright, I'll be sure to do my homework.

Sounds good. For now, though, I still need the basics of a story line or at the very least, something to get the story rolling so we can improv the rest of it.

@@Skijarama,

Okay, I did some googling and Freelancer seems a lot like Elite: Dangerous. I also looked at the stuff you have so far, and an idea I got for a storyline is that part of the Lunar Guard splintered off and now operates as a terrorist/rebel group that could be looking to take power.

@@Skijarama,

Okay, I did some googling and Freelancer seems a lot like Elite: Dangerous. I also looked at the stuff you have so far, and an idea I got for a storyline is that part of the Lunar Guard splintered off and now operates as a terrorist/rebel group that could be looking to take power.

I could see that. They'd need a good reason for doing that, but I could totally see it happening under the right circumstances.

@@Skijarama,

You were pretty vague about the Lunar Guard, so that leaves a lot of gaps to fill in. We could say that some high ranking officer thought the government was unfit, and wanted to assert control over the system themselves.

@@Skijarama,

You were pretty vague about the Lunar Guard, so that leaves a lot of gaps to fill in. We could say that some high ranking officer thought the government was unfit, and wanted to assert control over the system themselves.

maybe there was some sort of big catastrophe somewhere, maybe out near the edges of colonized space and the government handled it incredibly poorly, resulting in a lot of civilian casualties?

@@Skijarama,

That's a good idea. Maybe the catastrophe could have something to do with Juniperry becoming a radioactive wasteland.

I like the sound of that. But how would the cast of ponys we play as come into the mix? I have the idea that after all of that has already transpired, a civilian transport is carrying our characters through the Daash system. It's no big secret to the passengers that one of the ponys aboard is a huge supporter of the government and a rather important scientist. This splinter of the Lunar guard that's gone rogue could come in, destroy the transport leaving a scarce few survivors (us) to be picked up and returned to the nearest safe location, likely a Navy Base.

@@Skijarama,

That's a good way to start things off. By the way, I'd want to use my OC, Redwood for this. There's a link to her in my signature.

Seems good to me. I think there is now a decent idea for the start at this point.

(edited)

Belh! It's me, Colenso! I will volunteer myself for science.!

Awesome. You bringing in a pre-made OC that I can read up on or are you gonna make one specifically for this RP? (Which is what I did, btw)

EDIT: I see you edited your post. Very well. I await the sending of the Husk.

Edited by Skijarama

Name- Effluvium Husk

Sex- Male

Age- Thirty-ish

Species- Pegasus.

Appearance-  Husk is a tall, somewhat slim Pegasus with a sand tan and black, medium length mane and long tail. His fur is steel grey, and his eyes are UCLA blue. His cutie mark is a skull, the top which is scorched, embers burning in the fiery glow in the cracks between the burnt black. It fades to bone white at the bottom of the skull, and from every orifice of the skull is a black liquid pouring out.

Bio- Husk is a Pegasus that has valued coin in order to fund his desires. He wishes to do nothing more than find purpose in his special talents. He works as a obscured yet efficient mercenary, very few know him, or even his professional tag "Miasma," but those whom do know him take not of his success ratings. His special talent perfectly coincides with developing chemical weaponry. For a Pegasus he is quite intelligent, and he excels at making flammable, explosive, and most especially toxic materials. Needless to say, his special talents don't give him much room for other career paths. He has also taken independent studies of weapon design and crafting to bolster his special talents. He is quiet behind his gas mask, but a very serious and somewhat bloodthirsty tactician and all around attitude in any situation. He is socially inept. Given his gear and skills, he excels at close to medium range combat. He prefers classic weapons, such as solid ballistics over energy weaponry.

Name- Effluvium Husk

Sex- Male

Age- Thirty-ish

Species- Pegasus.

Appearance-  Husk is a tall, somewhat slim Pegasus with a sand tan and black, medium length mane and long tail. His fur is steel grey, and his eyes are UCLA blue. His cutie mark is a skull, the top which is scorched, embers burning in the fiery glow in the cracks between the burnt black. It fades to bone white at the bottom of the skull, and from every orifice of the skull is a black liquid pouring out.

Bio- Husk is a Pegasus that has valued coin in order to fund his desires. He wishes to do nothing more than find purpose in his special talents. He works as a obscured yet efficient mercenary, very few know him, or even his professional tag "Miasma," but those whom do know him take not of his success ratings. His special talent perfectly coincides with developing chemical weaponry. For a Pegasus he is quite intelligent, and he excels at making flammable, explosive, and most especially toxic materials. Needless to say, his special talents don't give him much room for other career paths. He has also taken independent studies of weapon design and crafting to bolster his special talents. He is quiet behind his gas mask, but a very serious and somewhat bloodthirsty tactician and all around attitude in any situation. He is socially inept. Given his gear and skills, he excels at close to medium range combat. He prefers classic weapons, such as solid ballistics over energy weaponry.

Oooh, we've got ourselves a dark one, eh? I like him. Approval granted. :)

(edited)

@@Skijarama,

Where do you want me to start out Mr. Skijarama?

What do you mean by that? Like, where in the sector or where in the story? In what faction? I'm a little tired right now, so some specifics would be appreciated.

EDIT: Also, as long as we're doing characters, I'll go ahead and jot down mine real quick. I have a picture and everything.

s39SYXZ.png

NAME: Solar Flare.

RACE: Earth Pony.

BIO: Solar flare was born on Equis, but following his birth his family took him into space, never staying in one place for too long. Solar never really knew why they were doing this, but he was able to hazard a guess after they were arrested in the Daash system and he was taken away from them. Despite losing his family to the authorities and never sticking in one place long enough to make a whole lot of friends, Solar is surprisingly happy-go-lucky and chipper in attitude. Even when things go bad he has a smile on his face. But, Like all of us, he harbors some issues. He doesn't really like talking about his family or past as a result. He makes a living by doing freelance jobs that require a decent pilot.

Edited by Skijarama