technology Windows 10: Hate or Like?

Tao

Do you like Winsows 10?  

40 users have voted

1. 1. Windows 10

• Hate
    • Its ok

It's the best OS I've ever used.

It looks and feels amazing to me. It has never once crashed for me. Everything runs smoother and with less lag now.

Sure, other people may see downsides. But for anything I use it for, it's perfect.

After seeing every comment here, I agree with you there.

While Windows 10 did crash on me a few times, that stopped after some updates and such, it runs perfectly fine.

I find Windows 10 to be the perfect compromise between what was so good about both Windows 7 and 8.1.

At this point, I do not regret switching from Windows 8.1 to 10. :)

Hate.

With every incarnation of Windows, we move further and further towards the feeling that nothing about your computer is truly yours.  Microsoft wants you to know that this is not your computer.  It's theirs.  We own you and all your software.  We will decide if, when, and how you use your computer.  We will decide when and how your computer updates.  We will decide what software you have.  We will allow you to login to OUR operating system when and how we wish.  You will use the computer on our terms, or not at all.  Failure to comply will result in termination.  We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.  Resistance is futile.

Of course, this has been the trend for big name software for a long time.  Adobe is the worst.  The game industry is going the same way.  It's a sad state of affairs.  I still use Windows 7, and I reckon that for my next incarnation of computer, I'll have to square with Linux, something I've been putting off for a long time just because it's an effort to switch over and relearn.  I imagine I'll just use Linux most of the time, and keep crusty old Windows on it's own, separate hard drive where it can't hurt anyone anymore.

I did not like Windows 10 in any way. I wanted to like it, which was my initial reaction to it, but after encountering issues, ranging from forced restarts to PC games having closed down on me out of random in the most inconvenient way possible before reverting back to Windows 8. I just don't like Microsoft's way of forcing people to upgrade to Windows 10 when 8 is hardly even that old.

I've been using it close to a year now and it's "alright". It's an improvement over 8, but honestly... I am not impressed. I am switching to Macs this coming year.

Be careful. Apple died with Steve Jobs.

Be careful. Apple died with Steve Jobs.

Not really... Apple is the biggest computer company in the world. After Tim Cook took over, Apple got richer. :I

I am contractually required to say Windows 10 is the best OS ever.

Okay, now that I've sufficiently covered my employee bit... (Yes, I am employed by Microsoft. No, I have nothing to do with MS Products. I'm a Program Manager for an internal business group. They keep trying to move me into a developer role in the product groups, and I change jobs to avoid it.)

Windows 10 is okay. There's the standard 'we have to change the UI somehow so that people know it's a new version' nonsense that MS is prone to. There are some weird glitches where it just seems to stall for a few seconds for no apparent reason. And it's got the standard Windows problem that people only put half-hearted effort into drivers, because it's a tedious, non-sexy job that most companies dump on their contract staff, leading to the computer wandering into non-resolvable if/then statements that eat resources.

The real problem is that they haven't gone far enough. Win 8 was the start of a new process where the idea was to eliminate all the different flavours of OS. There would be a chipset-specific kernal for different hardware platforms that would expose the same interfaces so that all the rest of the OS 'modules' could be plugged in as desired and the result would look/act the same no matter what device you were running it on. Your phone, your tablet, your laptop, your desktop, your server, your stupid windows car radio that never took off? They could all run the same programs (providing they had enough memory/storage, of course) You want your phone to host a webserver? Fine, load the webserver app to the phone. That's your choice. You want to work on a presentation while driving to the venue? Slide it from your desktop to your phone, and then from your phone to your car radio and use voice recognition to manipulate the presentation. Once done, move it back to your phone, and then to the smartTV projection system at the venue.

But they keep getting sidetracked and refusing to go all the way with the concept. Because 90% of the work is making universal interfaces for drivers, which as I said before is scut-work that nobody wants to actually do. You get recognition if you're on the team working on a monolithic system. You don't get recognition if you're the one who made the driver that allows this specific network card that less than 1% of the customer base has installed.

(And yes, the grammar problem with that last sentence was deliberate. It's a metaphor for a driver that starts a decision matrix and then tails off so that the computer gets lost trying to find out what comes next.)

• Brohoof 1

I am contractually required to say Windows 10 is the best OS ever.

Okay, now that I've sufficiently covered my employee bit... (Yes, I am employed by Microsoft. No, I have nothing to do with MS Products. I'm a Program Manager for an internal business group. They keep trying to move me into a developer role in the product groups, and I change jobs to avoid it.)

Windows 10 is okay. There's the standard 'we have to change the UI somehow so that people know it's a new version' nonsense that MS is prone to. There are some weird glitches where it just seems to stall for a few seconds for no apparent reason. And it's got the standard Windows problem that people only put half-hearted effort into drivers, because it's a tedious, non-sexy job that most companies dump on their contract staff, leading to the computer wandering into non-resolvable if/then statements that eat resources.

The real problem is that they haven't gone far enough. Win 8 was the start of a new process where the idea was to eliminate all the different flavours of OS. There would be a chipset-specific kernal for different hardware platforms that would expose the same interfaces so that all the rest of the OS 'modules' could be plugged in as desired and the result would look/act the same no matter what device you were running it on. Your phone, your tablet, your laptop, your desktop, your server, your stupid windows car radio that never took off? They could all run the same programs (providing they had enough memory/storage, of course) You want your phone to host a webserver? Fine, load the webserver app to the phone. That's your choice. You want to work on a presentation while driving to the venue? Slide it from your desktop to your phone, and then from your phone to your car radio and use voice recognition to manipulate the presentation. Once done, move it back to your phone, and then to the smartTV projection system at the venue.

But they keep getting sidetracked and refusing to go all the way with the concept. Because 90% of the work is making universal interfaces for drivers, which as I said before is scut-work that nobody wants to actually do. You get recognition if you're on the team working on a monolithic system. You don't get recognition if you're the one who made the driver that allows this specific network card that less than 1% of the customer base has installed.

(And yes, the grammar problem with that last sentence was deliberate. It's a metaphor for a driver that starts a decision matrix and then tails off so that the computer gets lost trying to find out what comes next.)

That always was an issue I had with Windows... The different versions. Most of which seemed to exist for no real reason beyond an excuse to charge more. Like I have Windows 10 Professional, but why does there need to be a professional version? Why not make one universal version? OS X does it.

I really wanted to like it

I gave it a chance. I have windows 8 on my laptop and I tried to upgrade to windows 10, but they didn't have the proper drivers for my touchpad so I couldn't use my laptop touchpad, and that forced me to backdate to windows8

Its too bad, I thought I would like it.

Not really... Apple is the biggest computer company in the world. After Tim Cook took over, Apple got richer. :I

Rich doesn't mean innovative, creative, and spectacular. Not always.

• Brohoof 2

Rich doesn't mean innovative, creative, and spectacular. Not always.

They are also more popular than they were before as well... So clearly people like them.

There are some weird glitches where it just seems to stall for a few seconds for no apparent reason.

Whew, and I thought I was the only one experiencing those weird delays where the jump lists and Explorer simply hang for several seconds before popping up or displaying files.

Admittedly, ever since I deleted all the files from the recent items folder, it has gotten much better, so it may be related to some path or paths that no longer existed causing the problem.

(edited)

it's okay

not as convoluted as windows 8 but not as practical as windows 7

i just wish microsoft could make an improved version of windows xp

Edited by Rowlet

I was fairly pissed when it auto "upgraded" me from 8.1 to 10 both because of all the problems many others have had and I find it really unnerving to have it decide for me when I did NOTHING to make it do that. It has been a few days or so since that happened and so far  I haven't really noticed all that much difference from 8.1 yet.

They are also more popular than they were before as well... So clearly people like them.

The minority group of people who would buy a Mac is because the OS is better for their workflow. A lot of people would get a Mac for video editing for example. The rest are those people who know jack shit about technology, and have it in their heads that because it has "more style" and a higher pricetag that it's better.

• Brohoof 1

it's okay

not as convoluted as windows 8 but not as practical as windows 7

i just wish microsoft could make an improved version of windows xp

You are aware that there is such a thing as a 64-bit version of Windows XP, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Myself I really hate windows 10, it takes away so many user rights its quite frankly astonishing. For example they forced people up using the GWX.exe thing (by extension destroying the pcs of people whos computers don't have the power to run windows 10)

Also the amount of information they collect is astonishing, I can verify they do indeed collect this information (I was having a look at something with wireshark when I saw it was connecting to some shady looking microsoft owned ip address's, I could tell they weren't for updates or anything like that because of just how frequently it would connect to them)

Oh and you giving your privacy up for some gimmicky new features you'll never use!

So in conclusion I hate windows 10!

The minority group of people who would buy a Mac is because the OS is better for their workflow. A lot of people would get a Mac for video editing for example. The rest are those people who know jack shit about technology, and have it in their heads that because it has "more style" and a higher pricetag that it's better.

If I may offer my perspective:

I actually went to school for computers, and I would consider myself fairly computer savvy. I STILL prefer macs for many reasons and the truth is, we have only been "convinced" that Windows is better for everything but "a few specific" things, when in reality Macs can do everything that a majority of people would do on Windows and in many cases are better for said tasks:

• Programmers a lot of the time are switching to macs for stability. Also Macs generally come out of the box with really high screen resolutions which are great when looking at hundreds of lines of code.
  • Word processing works fine on macs.
  • Being "easier" does not make the user "dumber", we're just convinced that if we don't do it the "Windows way" we must be retarded, this is actually marketing propaganda that Microsoft relies on to get people to keep buying Windows.
  • The only real need for Windows is gaming, and the only reason it's needed for that is because of DirectX which Microsoft forces upon developers. If people stopped buying Windows as much, then DirectX would no longer be the standard.
  • I would hardly call the people who could use a mac, a "minority" because studies show that the average person only uses their computers for basic needs, which Macs handle really well. Macs are so greatly optimized that they often handle office tasks and basic needs better than low cost Windows machines.

The real reason why people don't just switch to Macs are:

• Price tag. I mean they are at LEAST $900 starting point, but you DO get what you pay for. Most Macs I've used and had friends have last a long time, far longer than the $500-600 Windows laptops I have bought. My friend has a single Macbook Pro that he spent $1,200 on and it's outlasted 3 of my Windows laptops. Windows laptops are generally built poor with poor optimization. If they made an economy Mac that had the same build quality, a LOT of people would switch.
  • Propaganda. Windows users avidly speak against Macs and make it out like if you own one it's because you're "stupid" or "don't know shit about Technology". This is how Windows maintains a foothold on the home market. A lot of people who buy Windows machines realistically would be happier with a mac. Easy =/= Stupid users. 
  • Gaming. If DirectX wasn't the standard, Windows would have died off long ago.

Really OS X is a great system to use and a lot of people could actually benefit from it. Sadly though, it comes with a price tag, but really if you're not using your computer for gaming: it's worth it. Because macs generally last long enough to where you'd have to have had to buy 2 PCs by the time you need to upgrade your mac.

(edited)

I've been using it since launch and I think it's a really good OS. I didn't have a problem with 8/8.1 personally, and while I understand people wanting to stick with 7, I'm game heavily on PC, and I like having the up to date software, also Direct X 12 is starting to pop up on a lot of games, and you can't get that with older versions of Windows.

Also, I've never been a fan of the Vista/7 UI, it's kind of distracting to me and I never got the popularity of Aero. I love the simplistic flat design of 10.

Edited by Celli

Thankfully, I am not (yet) one of those whom have been upgraded without their knowledge, but I do have to use 10 from time to time on machines other than my personal. It seems OK, I suppose. Honestly, my requirements from an OS haven't changed since the Windows XP days, so i don't use any of those new fancy features. It seems stable enough on the machines I've used. Can't complain, I guess, I'm just quite comfortable with 7 on my own.

I upgraded to Windows 10 about a week ago, and I haven't had that many problems myself. It actually runs faster on my PC than Windows 7 did, as well I like the UI and some of the features that come with it like Cortana, and I am interested in seeing what DirectX 12 does for gaming in the future. Personally, I try to use the latest Windows OSes whenever I can and Windows 10 has been fine for me.

• Brohoof 1