Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Windows 10: Hate or Like?

Tao

Do you like Winsows 10?  

40 users have voted

1. 1. Windows 10

• Hate
    • Its ok

So I was forced to now use Windows 10 which nearly crashed my pc when it uploaded yesterday and I've heard a lot of other windows and other PC users they hate how its laid out and some seem like to it,   so what you think?   Do you like Windows 10 or do you want to go back to Windows 8?

Personally I've come to hate it in the last 24 hours given we a user I was not given a choice in the matter when it comes to the programs to my lab-top I brought with my own money or what I choose to put into.

I've been using it close to a year now and it's "alright". It's an improvement over 8, but honestly... I am not impressed. I am switching to Macs this coming year.

I never got Windows 8, so I can't really compare those, but I've been using Windows 10 since it got released for free, and I've really liked it. I haven't really had an issues with it, other than a bug where I couldn't search for things, but that seems to have stopped. The only problem I had with it is that it seems impossible to get a lot of older games working, but that is to be expected.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I mostly use OS X but use Windows for gaming. I hated Windows 8 and much prefer Windows 10. I didn't like the weird mix of Metro and the regular OS on Windows 8.

Edited by Kayleigh
  • Brohoof 1

I initially took the free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, and it was an extremely bad experience for me. I suffered more blue screens and hardware failures using it then I ever had before, and ended up having to replace my HDD and doing a complete reinstall of the OS from a disk. Since then it's been a lot more stable, no real problems to speak of, but it certainly wasn't a very good first impression. :dry:

In terms of its design, I guess it is okay. Fixed a lot of the things I disliked about Windows 8, though I still think it has a lot of unnecessary features such as the App menu, and it also by default has much stricter security settings on many of the system folders, which makes it a pain to use certain programs I previously had no trouble with. Overall, there's nothing about it that makes me think it's any massive improvement over 7, but it does what I need it to do, and does it well (usually).

• Brohoof 2

Windows 10, to me was actually a good improvement over the last two Windows that Microsoft had and luckily for me, my laptop came included with Windows 10. :D

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

What I like about Windows 10:

• Slick, engaging new UI
  • Convenient new features (i.e, built in mounting)
  • I've noticed faster performance all around
  • Easy-to-use menus, easily customizable interface
  • The new start menu's tile system is great
  • Microsoft Edge, the Windows 10 exclusive browser, has shown some promise

What I don't like about Windows 10:

• Privacy/security concerns (most can be disabled though)
  • Tons of useless bloatware being installed by default (Candy Crush, the large amount of apps, etc)
  • Broken compatibility with some old games and programs
  • The default apps aren't too useful (Groove Music & the Photos app in particular)
  • The new search system sucks compared to Windows 7. It has trouble finding what I'm searching for at times
  • General bugs

Overall, as someone coming over from Windows 7, I'm satisfied with Windows 10 thus far. I'm glad I upgraded and would recommend it if you're still on an older OS

Edited by Rivendare
  • Brohoof 2

I tried for a short while, but that was when it first came out and loads of application didn't work with it, so I went back to Windows 8. I liked the layout from what I had seen of it. I should probably switch back to  it now, it's been over a year hopefully everything should work with it now, but I really can't be bothered! XD

• Brohoof 1

After 4 years of using windows 8 and 8.1, safe to say I'm leaning on 8. Windows 10 looks like a mess the way they organize the start menu, everything is hidden except for apps! Why can't they just laid everything windows function out like windows XP or 7 or so on. At least in windows 8.1 its easier to access windows function like search tool and etc. Soo, hate Windows 10 and their cumulative updates that made pc bsod, especially April's update. Besides, Microsoft is spying on people with Windows 10, that's one thing.

Although it is not some mindblowing OS, I like it a lot. It is easy to navigate, far more smooth than Windows 8 and I love the over all 'feel' of the UI. Microsoft Edge is pretty bad though. That browser apparently hates this website, as it loves to not acknowledge reply boxes at all. So other than Edge, W10 is pretty good in my book.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, if it weren't for video games, I wouldn't even use Windows anymore. I grew up on Windows, and I loved it since 95, but I have reached the point where I am noticing that every major blunder Windows has... OS X seems to not have. Like yeah OS X has issues too, but it's far more stable, user friendly and just seems to work properly. And Windows switching to "free" upgrades is kind of silly since OS X has been doing that for now 3 versions. People used to complain about how "you had to pay for service packs", but Windows just made you buy an expensive upgrade every 2-3 years which end up costing more than OS X upgrades.

Honestly for my needs, OS X does the job.

I use to use windows for all my stuff, up until a few months back when 10 was loaded on my ultra book, with out me telling it to, which crashed it and lost $$$$$ worth of ILDA shows so after calling microsoft they told me there was nothing they could do, and i told them Im switching to Mac!!:)

• Brohoof 1

I absolutely love it. I am currently on the Windows Insider Program (Fast Branch), and not only is everything stable and working very well, but Microsoft also takes great care listening to feedback from the Community and making improvements on it. A stable OS, no crashes at all for me, faster boot compared to previous OS...and of course, the new DirectX 12. Yep, I'm really happy with this.

• Brohoof 1

I initially had issues with WiFi after I upgraded from 8.1, so I actually rolled back to that. I decided to try it again after I was determined to solve the issues. I did, and I have been using it full-time since March. I also had to fix some broken drivers, but some updated drivers solved that. In games, I consistently get higher FPS than before, so that's good.

Overall, I like it more than 8.1. I feels like 7, but a few years newer. 

Still, how Microsoft pushed 10 on everyone, even some reports of it installing without user consent. Along with the privacy concerns (Do they really need to know what files I keep ion my computer?), it does concern me with what their true intentions are. 

The day when Linux truly surpasses Windows for everything, I think Windows will be a thing of the past.

• Brohoof 1

I initially had issues with WiFi after I upgraded from 8.1, so I actually rolled back to that. I decided to try it again after I was determined to solve the issues. I did, and I have been using it full-time since March. I also had to fix some broken drivers, but some updated drivers solved that. In games, I consistently get higher FPS than before, so that's good.

Overall, I like it more than 8.1. I feels like 7, but a few years newer. 

Still, how Microsoft pushed 10 on everyone, even some reports of it installing without user consent. Along with the privacy concerns (Do they really need to know what files I keep ion my computer?), it does concern me with what their true intentions are. 

The day when Linux truly surpasses Windows for everything, I think Windows will be a thing of the past.

Or better yet, the day OS X becomes an option on other hardware that isn't made by Apple and ungodly expensive. OS X is basically a user friendly version of Linux. Super stable, super clean, super easy to use. The only thing really stopping a lot of use is the hardware is super expensive. I mean you can make hackintoshes but they're still relatively technical.

I doubt Apple will license out OS X either because it would kill their hardware market.

However as I am thinking: going Mac is an "investment" but a majority of people that go end up staying due to the experience being that good. The ONLY thing that keeps a LOT of people tethered to Windows is gaming. If Microsoft didn't have such a hold on DirectX, they would have been abandoned from the gaming community years ago. In fact, I've seen people complaining about the stability and performance of Windows for years before Windows Vista. Windows has always been glitchy, unstable and just crap.

I don't know many other OSes that can periodically release so many bad versions and be forgiven. OS X certainly doesn't release a "good version" then a "bad version" like Microsoft does. Nor does Linux. I think a lot of us just forgive Windows because the alternatives mean no gaming, or are too expensive. If OS X costed around the same as a windows machines, I think a LOT of non-gamer users would switch almost instantly.

(edited)

@Key Sharkz The biggest reason why I don't use OS X is because while it is Unix based, (which of course is where Linux also comes from) it would involve buying a Mac, which is far too expensive for what hardware you would be getting, or building a Hackintosh, which would be a nice learning experience, but I would rather stick to Windows as I have over 10 years of experience with it.

That, and the hoards of tech-illiterate idiots that buy Apple iStuff every year. I trust you're not one of those types though, but still...

Edited by Warthog
  • Brohoof 1

@Key Sharkz The biggest reason why I don't use OS X is because while it is Unix based, (which of course is where Linux also comes from) it would involve buying a Mac, which is far too expensive for what hardware you would be getting, or building a Hackintosh, which would be a nice learning experience, but I would rather stick to Windows as I have over 10 years of experience with it.

That, and the hoards of tech-illiterate idiots that buy Apple stuff every year. I trust your not one of those types though, but still...

I understand completely. Macs are an investment. They are not like Windows machines in that we can just get one and not really care because it's on the cheap. Windows has that advantage of being economic.

And nah man. Ha ha. I have been building PCs for a while, and I've used Windows for a good... I want to say... 15-20 years? I've been using Windows machines since I was 5 more or less. I've used macs a bit in my lifetime and while they are "different" there is a certain appeal to them. I mean while they are pricey a big advantage is compatibility within each other. Since they all operate on similar hardware finding out if something will work on one is as simple as knowing which model you have. Windows gets tricky because you have to go into hardware specifics and such.

I like powerful hardware as much as the next guy, but I WILL admit when I used macs even if they were significantly (hardware wise) weaker than my PC, they always ran better, but that's the power of optimization. Because OS X is built around specific hardware, optimization becomes much smoother. The drawback of course is that the machines are expensive and hardware is limited to those specific sets. I WILL say though: Macs tend to last a lot longer. I know people who have had the same mac for over 5 years and it runs just as smooth as when they got it. Yes they are expensive to replace, but so long as you're not doing really intensive stuff on them, they are good for quite a while.

I will say though they are better if you can finance them rather than pay upfront.

It's ok. The biggest problem with it is the lack of Media Center which I rely on my home theater pc to record local TV shows. So even though I've upgraded most of my machines I use to 10, the HTPC is stuck at 7 unless MS stops providing free guide data - at which point it gets formatted to Linux and I'll have to write some code to scrape the data off the local channel websites. Who wants to pay for data that is available for free, right?

To be fair, Linux is just a kernel and Linus is pretty darn picky about what goes into it. There are plenty of crappy distros out there and even the big names sometimes drop the ball. (Ubuntu's first unity release)

But yeah, I have mixed feelings on Windows 10. It broke on my laptop and on dad's laptop, neither of which are very old. I guess it had some plusses, like my dad's running zorin now instead of his virus prone windows machine and it got me off my butt and got me to put Linux on my laptop.

On my desktop, it's an alright OS. I liked my configured windows 8 machine better, all it was missing was the start button, which was easily fixable.

(edited)

I upgraded to windows 10 for a little bit, but then reverted back to 8.1. While I do agree Windows 10 is better in a lot of ways, it actually made my PC run slower and messed with a lot of my settings. I went into a chat with a Microsoft Employee and they said to just revert back to 8.1. I'm used to 8.1's quirks and my computer seems to run better with it.

Edited by Seraph

It's the best OS I've ever used.

It looks and feels amazing to me. It has never once crashed for me. Everything runs smoother and with less lag now.

Sure, other people may see downsides. But for anything I use it for, it's perfect.

• Brohoof 2