Optimist or Pessimist?

Varrack

71 users have voted

1. 1. Are you more optimistic or pessimistic?

• Optimistic
    • Pessimistic

I am generally optimistic, but if I don't like you and you p*ss me off, I will be pessimistic. Though if there is a bad situation that looks hopeless, I try and be as positive as I can.

~Lunatone

It's always worth remembering: ignorance is bliss. The more you narrow your focus and world view and do so away from the problems -- in other words, the more you blind yourself to reality -- the happier you'll be. The very reason escapism is a thing is to temporarily distract ourselves from just how awful things are. 

It's just so incredibly ironic. I used to be in the optimist camp and did my earnest to make the case that humans aren't inherently bad from "human nature" giving us a predetermination to be selfish assholes, arguing that things don't have to be this way. Over time, encountering more assholes than I can count and seeing more and more people validating the idea that humans are inherently selfish assholes that will act in whatever way that suits them without regards as to who pays the price rather than taking the path of least harm for everyone... all that on top of being stubborn in their refusal to adapt to a changing world, well... it's becoming increasingly convincing and it's been making me misanthropic... and still there is a part of me that wants to think differently but I simply can't because that'd be BSing myself. Heck... look at science and technology: the only reason it progressed by such ORDERS of magnitude is that it has protocols that bypass our innate stupidities. By comparison, politics is practically in the stone age. For those of you who don't know, "by comparison" means when you put the two things next to each other and compare them.

To quote astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson:

2d7a6c8289e23cc2c68f7e0e5b05781a.jpg

This is why science and technology feels like such a haven. Its only agenda is to create a model of reality that is as accurate as it can possibly muster with the agenda of technology and engineering being to utilize science in order to most effectively fulfill a concrete goal whether we are talking about generating electricity, getting things to move or process information as fast as possible. Sure, it's not perfect and nor is it immune to the innate stupidity of humans but it is worlds apart when compared to politics.

If there's one hope I have left, it's that technology can have a ripple-effect on society which may eventually change our behavior. Hopefully, science and technology will have more influence on economics and politics than the other way around -- because as history has shown, when politics -- which is inherently dirty -- has too much influence on science and technology, nothing good comes out of it. When science and technology influences society, it's usually for the better. Not always but usually and with a far better track record than when politics influences science and technology. As long as there continues to be a separation of ideology/church (no difference between the two as far as I'm concerned) and science, there may yet be hope for us.

At the end of the day, though, it all remains to be seen. Will we remain stuck in our ideologically charged ways or will science and technology influence and woo us to change into something better? Only time can really tell.

• Brohoof 1

I don't believe there's any problem that can't be overcome, but I also understand that some problems take more time and effort to resolve than others and that there are problems that cannot be solved on ones own. I believe blind optimism often leads to making poor decisions, but also that blind pessimism leads to doing nothing at all. In many respects, I'm an optimist, but I don't think I fit neatly into either category.

• Brohoof 1

I'd say I'm both optimistic and pessimistic, but varies on how I'm feeling on a certain day. I tend to balance how I see things on a daily basis, but sometimes become more than the other despite what I do to change how I think.

It depends on my company, 

When I'm alone I'm usually an optimist, 

I scraped my knee pretty badly during a hiking accident, and I just patched myself up and trudged forward thinking about how good dinner would be. 

When I'm with Family, I'm usually neither, I'm pretty indifferent.

I'm not really close with my family. so I don't really care how the plans go. 

When I'm with my girlfriend...well....I'm whatever she's feeling at that particular moment. 

If She's angry , then I'm angry. and If She's happy then I'm happy....even when I'm not.  >_>

I just know I'm going to regret posting this, and I'll probably get yelled at, and the page will probably freeze, and my computer will probably crash....heh, see what I did there?

My dad is annoyingly optimistic, and my mom and I are infamously pessimistic.  One time my mom said something pessimistic that annoyed my dad, and he says, "There you go again!  The world's biggest pessimist!"  Then, from the next room, I cleared my throat loudly and aggressively, and my dad yells, "Sorry, world's second biggest!"  So, that should tell you something.

• Brohoof 1

To be honest... Neutral/Apathetic. Most of the time I really just don't give a f*ck, unless it affects me in some way (which most things don't). Most political issues are just ignored by me, as are social and corporate issues. The only issues I'm not apathetic toward are personal issues. Actually, most of the time I'm apathetic with those, too. I always try to find a solution to problems in which both parties finish equally. I guess you could call me a little optimistic, but meh.

Pessimistic, usually because I need solid proof as to why things will turn out alright.

Bu I'm usually the opposite of what everyone else is. 

If people are telling me how things will turn out alright, I'll tell them why they won't.

If people are loosing hope, I'll tell them why it will all work out.

I like to argue.