What languages do you know or want to learn?

Mint Petal

I only really know English. I took some Spanish this last Spring semester, but to be honest, I'm not sure how much of it I even remember. Lol. I most certainly am not fluent at it.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm only fluent in English, but I did study Irish and passed my exams in it...though I can't speak it at all (Like about 90% of Ireland XD)

I also studied Spanish...funnily enough, I think my Spanish is better than my Irish, despite studying it for half the length of time.

But I can barely manage a conversation ;)

I would like to speak German and Arabic, German because people sound really cool speaking in German and Arabic because I'm really interested in Middle Eastern culture, even though I know very little about it. I speak English and can read some Latin.

I would love Japanese. It sounds so unique, and beautiful. Chinese would be useful, but I don't like the way it sounds. Russian sounds interesting but I'm not terribly interested in learning it. Learning German would be cool since it's my great grandparents (both sides) language. But German seems a little too hard, and I seem a little too uninterested in it.

Japanese wins for me, enthusiasm-wise. (I'd be the most willing to learn this over the other ones.)

I took Japanese in high school. I was top of my class, but the curriculum was very basic, so it is still a work in progress. I have picked up some German from music (mostly Rammstein). I know basic grammar, but my vocabulary is horrible. For a while I wanted to learn Gaidhlig (Scottish Gaelic), but I never got into it. Right now I'm learning Mandarin, but know very little.

Part of me wants to learn Dutch or Icelandic...or both...

I learned French in high school, I am semi fluent and have used basic French in Quebec, however I can speak Afrikaans, my father came from Pretoria, South Africa so he taught me some Afrikaans. I want to learn Swedish, since I have already learned some basic Swedish, and Sweden is a place I want to visit sometime in my lifetime.

I want to learn German, but I'm lazy and I procrastinate a lot. It seems I can grasp the pronunciation of German words fairly easily, I remember my French teacher in school telling me that German is an easy language for Scottish people to learn.

I'm pretty good at English.

I want to learn Japanese, but...

IT'S JUST TOO HARD!!

I tried signing up for some websites, but they were useless, it taught me how to say hello and then it went on to whole paragraphs straight after that.

I know a few words of French, and I speak German (my birth language), but I'd like to learn Japanese. I'm having some trouble finding out how to learn it though...

I know a few words of French, and I speak German (my birth language), but I'd like to learn Japanese. I'm having some trouble finding out how to learn it though...

Really? This explains what I was about to say completely. So what can I say about this? Aside from my poor french, I think Japanese would be the next language for me to learn.

yes absolutely! I am idly learning Russian now, because I have a strange fascination with Russia. I chose to learn german since Gr.  8 but I didn't enjoy it as much...

Yeah actually! I want to learn Japanese, Latin, Italian, and German, in that order. Japanese has always been so cool to me, and I've always loved their culture. Latin is cool because it makes up a lot of our language. Italian because I loved Assassin's Creed II, and German because I took a German class in high school and I liked it's aesthetics! 

I've been taking French classes at school for seven years. I still can't even hold a conversation beyond a few sentances, and even that's a struggle. The French program is really weak. Being in Canada though, it's very advantageous to know French. I hope someday I'll become reasonably fluent.

I'd really like to learn German though. I've always been fascinated by German history and language. FUR DAS VATERLAND!

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm learning German in high-school currently, but I'd also love to learn Japanese, Russian, and Latin. German and Japanese because I love both countries, and Russian just for the sake of knowing Russian. Latin just cause I really like history, particularly western history, and it's essentially the root language of Europe, with some exceptions.

I can read any Latin provided that I have a dictionary with me. Took 2 years of it, after all, and by the end of this school year, that'll be three.

I'd love to be able to speak Spanish, but the class at my school was full. It's by far the foreign language I hear most often in my everyday life.

I think language is important and endlessly compelling.
If I had the time and the patience, I would learn every single language that this planet's cultures have to offer.

I currently speak five languages: Finnish, English, Swedish, Estonian, and German.
I've also been trying REAL hard to learn Japanese and Spanish, but those two seem to be out of my reach for some odd reason... oh, well, maybe some day.

At one point of my life, I've known a sizable portion of Spanish, but only because of the fact that I live in a city that borders Mexico. I have only declined since then, and now I have nearly no understanding of a casual conversation in Spanish.

I have no interest in learning a new language.