What languages do you know or want to learn?

Mint Petal

English and Cantonese Chinese.

I took two years of Spanish and one of Japanese in high school. Don't remember much so they don't really count...

Would like to learn German.

• 3 weeks later...

¿Dónde está todo el mundo?  :o

Anyways, to give a little update on my Spanish learning progress, this is the most I've ever written in Spanish thus far  :) :

Quiero ser elocuente en hablar, leer, y escribir en español. Solo sé un poco de la lengua española hasta ahora y estoy todavía aprendiendo. Mi novia es mi maestra de español. La amo  :) Así lo siento por los errores. He estado aprendiendo el idioma por pocos meses y todavía es no facil para mi. Solo puedo escribir y leer en español hasta ahora. No soy bueno en hablando la idioma, todavía no    :blush:

Also, I apparently understand enough Spanish to be able to join a popular Spanish-only brony forum with ease  ;)

I speak english, and know a small amount of spanish (I can count to 1000, know the alphabet, colors, and say basic introductory phrases)....

I would love to learn German, Irish Gaelic, Yiddish, and Finnish :D

(edited)

The only language I'm fluent in is English. The languages I've tried to learn (in order) are:

- Japanese — when I was young

- French — in 9th grade; didn't like it. Je ne parle pas Française.

- Japanese — again, during 10th grade (not a class, like french but in our school's anime club B) )

- German — in 11th grade, tried to learn myself, got bored and switched to...

- Chinese — also in 11th grade, also tried by myself, the tones suck, gave up but kept my dictionaries for reference

- Spanish — this time took a class, in my 4th year of highschool [i wasn't exactly a senior :blush: ] (the school I was at had block schedul, so I took Spanish 1 & 2 in the same year) passed the class and had a nice grasp of conversational Spanish … then I moved, had no friends to speak Spanish with and can hardly speak it now DX ... so now I'm studying...

- Japanese — I might get to meet my extended family in Okinawa next year (or the year after) and I want to be able to talk with them :okiedokielokie: I also read up about...

- Various Ryukyu Languages — which UNESCO finally classified as distinct languages from Japanese (and not just a 'dialect')

So yeah, nothing too special. :D

Edited by SeraphStar

Spanish is my native language, so, the only foreign language I know is English, and I'd rather go to the US to speak it and improve my speech, because English is serious business to me. I have no interest in learning another language 

• Brohoof 1

I would definitely like to learn Japanese because I think it would be a great way to understand obscure Japanese games and look at games before they are translated into English, so that way it brings a new meaning to the text

I'm a native Spanish speaker. 

I'm currently learning Italian at my own time, and want to visit the country of Italy someday to practice the language there. I also want to learn French, Chinese, and Portuguese. 

• Brohoof 1

I know English (Duh..), Russian (though i'm a terrible writer and reader) and Hebrew.

I'd like to learn either Mandarin or Cantonese (both are Chinese dialects, in case you didn't know) one day.

• Brohoof 1

Just English, with a little Spanish and Dragon (lel) mixed in.

I've always thought it would be cool to learn Japanese! ^^

• Brohoof 1

I know English (Duh..), Russian (though i'm a terrible writer and reader) and Hebrew.

I'd like to learn either Mandarin or Cantonese (both are Chinese dialects, in case you didn't know) one day.

Learning chinese sounds like a good plan!

It is a beautiful language both in form and sound.

:)

• Brohoof 1

I would really want to learn Japanese, mostly so I can get ahead of my friends in anime by not having to wait for the subbed, and thus giving me leverage against my friends. They stab me in the back, I give them spoilers. It's a little selfish, but in all honesty. I really enjoy Japanese culture and would like to visit it someday

• Brohoof 2

I wanted to relearn Turkish. I have learned Spanish for two years, and I didn't like it, but when I learned Turkish for two years, that peaked my interest. To be honest with all of you, I find it quite easier to learn Turkish than to learn Spanish. 

• Brohoof 1

but I really REALLY want to know Japanese (is never going to happen) 
Japanese is surprisingly easy to learn. Well, gaijin Japanese is. It's a complex language, but you can pick up the basics easily.

Good luck with tones. As fun as Mandarin was, I can't actually speak it to save my life. 

As mentioned, I know a little Japanese and German (I don't remember enough Mandarin to include it), plus a few swears in Norwegian (I'd thank the person, but I don't know their forum name), and in addition to becoming fluent, I would like to learn Dutch, Icelandic (or Old Norse, the end goal is to read the Elder Eddas untranslated), and Tagalog (Filipino), plus a few stock phrases in Polish (I initially thought Russian because I like the sound, but Polish is close enough and I actually know Polish people).

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm from Poland, so I know Polish language perfectly!

Also I know English pretty good.

I was learning Italian and German, but thanks to not the best teachers and my laziness, I can't use those languages.

• 2 weeks later...

Want to better my Russian and English ablities

I am required by my school and for my future life to at least know German. I also want to take up Swedish and Danish. Polish will probably be easy if I ever decided to. But the more important  thing is what you will do with these languages rather than how cool it'd be to know them. In my personal opinion, if you only want to learn to impress someone, you're setting yourself up for failure. 

Me, I'd need English and German for the workplace, and depending on the state of our world in a few years, maybe Arabic and Mandarin, too (at least some degree of fluency). I want Russian for my heritage, and Danish because of where I want to live. Swedish is not that far away from it.